Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bit of a mystery going. I checked the ATF last night before I drained. I followed to check fluid. It was definitely completely warmed up. I shifted from Park to first and back to park slowly. Then I let it idle for a minute or so and checked. It was reading slightly above the F on the hot side consistently. I did it twice with consistent results, so I thought no big deal I'll just put slightly less after I drain. I drained the ATF and my drain pan has measuring lines in quarts. I measured ATF fluid that I drained, and it appears I drained about 8 ounces below 4 quarts. I filled back up with about 3.5 quarts and followed the above procedure to check fluid levels. It registered almost below the low on the cold side. I have added almost 4 quarts total now (about 4 ounces less than 4 quarts), and it is still showing low (slightly above F on cold side). There is also bubble in the ATF when I pull the dip stick out. It also seems like there is fluid going up the dip stick locally on the sides when I pull it out. Any ideas what is going on? I didn't follow the procedure to bleed control valve because I don't have the equipment. Sounded like people don't always do this for drain and fill even at the dealership. Appreciate any help or suggestions.

2008 subaru forester x
101,000 miles

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm still not sure what happened, but I used someone's recommended technique to leave the dip stick out when running through the gears. Then I waited 1-2 minutes and checked the level with the dip stick. Measurement seemed more consistent, and it was showing the levels were low. Ended up putting a total of 4 quarts into the transmission, and it is now reading slight above the middle of the two dots on the hot side of the dip stick. Can probably chalk this one up to bad measuring practices?

While I am posting I was wondering if anyone has installed a Fumoto in place of their ATF drain plug? Seems it would be easier to do a drain and fill, but it worries me a little that the drain plug is a bit more exposed on the transmission pan compared to the engine oil pan. Anyone know thread size and pitch if I decide to get one? I measured with some questionable calipers and found it was not a round millimeter (I think around 19.5mm?).

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
8 oz short of a gallon is about the right amount. You are probably a vbit over filled since you probably drained out hot and filled cold which will have you a bit overfilled. You should be OK.

Maybe do another drain before real hot weather.

Don't put a Fumoto there..to much danger of getting broken off.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Automatic
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense, and it seems to be correct. I drove the car for a few miles for errands and checked the fluid one more time, and indeed it was well above the F mark. For some reason I couldn't process that the car being warmed up doesn't mean the transmission is warm. That is the reason it says to drive it around for a few miles to warm it up. There were plenty of warnings about that too. I pulled the plug and managed to drain exactly 8 ounces. Going to drive it around again for a few miles to see if it is at the right level now. Thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
14,937 Posts
Going to drive it around again for a few miles to see if it is at the right level now. Thanks for the response.
You are fine. Don't spend any more time worrying/adjusting. I have an08 and I have changed multiple, multiple, multipletimes. 8 oz =/- 4 oz is fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts