Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 Forester 2.0 Turbo is making a funny "brrrrrrrrrraaaaap" sound when accelerating and making a right turn. It does not happen at all when making a left. It only does it while accelerating and it doesn't happen every time turning right or through the full turn...the wheel must be turned only within a certain range of turned position. I'm getting "better" (if there is such a thing) at finding the right range that seems to elicit the sound and could probably do so at will in an open parking lot now. The sound seems to be coming from the far rear of the car (maybe right side of the rear?...hard to tell for sure). The "brrrrrrraaaap" sound can be characterized as almost a hard vibration, in fact, I initially thought that might be all it was, but believe I have since eliminated any vibrations as the culprit. It's kind of like the sound you'd make lightly touching your finger to a plastic-bladed portable house fan for a short second or so (don't pretend you've never done that :grin2:).

I can't imagine it's a cv joint issue given the relative "newness" of the car and location/type of sound. I bought the car used a few months ago, 47000 miles, I had a CURT trailer hitch installed at UHAUL shortly after purchase and can't remember if the car always made the noise or only after installation, but figured I'd mention that. I called my shop (great Subie shop in town) and it didn't ring any obvious bells to them.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

·
Super Moderator
2018 X3 M40i / 2016 X3 xDrive35i
1,625 Posts
Traction control pulsing brakes to the outside rear wheel would be my first guess.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
492 Posts
I second the traction control. Switch the MDF to the traction screen and see if it activates when you hear the sound. Could be a bad strut making that wheel lose traction.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved!

SOLVED! So happy to have this resolved. After considering bringing it in for CVT issues, I took yet another trip beneath the car and all around to try to figure this out as it just didn't seem or sound like something as serious as the transmission/CVT. Finally tonight I put together what was going on. After having Uhaul install my trailer hitch, they did not correctly re-hang my exhaust/muffler system. The whole system was slightly leaning toward the left side of the car...enough so that when making a right turn, centrifugal force pushed it further to the left and far enough that the actual exhaust pipe was making contact with the molding of the bumper where it sticks out the back. It was just enough that at a certain angle of turning right combined with giving gas (which would further animate the exhaust system) it would clunk against the bumper molding and vibrate against it as I gave it gas. Two total posts were not rehung and one of the rubber dampeners was missing. Rehung the one, grabbed a rubber dampener at the store for $5 bucks and solved!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts