Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester Limited
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying and having my tires rotated at the same tire place for at least twenty years, no one else works on my tires. Last time they pointed out that a wheel stud had been sheared off. They agreed to replace it but did not have the part. No local supplier had the stud for an 09 Forester. They suggested that I come back later with the part. I ordered and received the part (Thank You Annapolis Subaru). The dealer said it was the fault of the mechanic with the torque wrench. I brought my car and the part back to the tire place and they said it was too late in the day to start. I agreed to bring it in early in the morning. I made an appt and brought it in this morning. The manager threw a temper tantrum saying it was not his fault and he was not responsible but would fix it if I came back on Thursday and left my car all day.
Anyone with wheel stud experience?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 328i xDrive Wagon 8 spd Auto
1,977 Posts
Well, the only way a wheel stud usually gets sheared off is when they tighten the lugs way too tight. If these are the only people to have touched the tires, then who else's fault can it be?

Only other possibilty would be if the dealership was doing work on the car and had to R&R the affected wheel.

I never trust any tire place, nor the dealer, to tighten my wheels and always re-do the torque on the wheel lugs as soon as the car comes home. And there have been a good many times I've been standing on the lug wrench to back off the lugs.

The manager is being a twit about it. Ask him what torque his tire guys used on your lugs, or better yet, take a wrtench to one yourself and see how hard it is to loosen one of the other lugs. I think most of the torques on the newer models are in the 80ft-lb range, which isn't all that tough to hand loosen.

·
Registered
03X MT
846 Posts
my experience suggests that an impact wrench was used to put the wheels on.

I'm to the point now that I don't trust anyone working on my car.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
I agree with ifdal and rsay777. Anytime I have to get my tires rebalanced or new ones mounted, I always doublecheck the torque immediately afterwards. I usually bring the torque wrench with me when I take the car in so I can check it right there. I had an experience in the past where I got a flat and could not get the tire/wheel off the car because it was torqued on so tight. I had it towed to my house and eventually got the wheel off only after I sheared off one of the studs.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I've never had a tire shop properly tighten my lugs. I now just bring my wheels in off the car as even my "Trusted" tire place can't get it right. They usually just use a torque tube, but they don't fit my summer wheels so they just fully torqued them with the impact, never letting them touch the car again!

Also replacing the stud is pretty easy, and basically the same as all previous subarus.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
yeah, they broke it.. but if they don't fix it for free it isn't going to be a big expense.

I've broke mine in the past with a star wrench (not a subie but :icon_frown:)
it happens..

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,758 Posts
I've replaced several studs, I broke 5-6 last summer at the track. I hand tighten and torque wrench them so I suspect it was the crappy lugs stripping then getting stuck onto the stud. Changing one out is relatively easy, expect an hour if you've never ever done it before.

Can't recall if I created a thread here but search on NASIOC and there's one there I used to see what was required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts