Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a used 2007 Forester X Premium. I knew when it had most recently been serviced and whatnot from the Carfax and other reports but when I went to go over the engine/vital fluids myself it turns out the oil dipstick is missing. At some point prior to me purchasing the vehicle the dipstick had been broken off. I have two thoughts on this:

1) Any suggestions on the easiest, and more importantly, the cheapest way to replace it? (is was thinking of looking in junkyards but it might be tough to find a 2007, will other years/models work?)

2) If the previous owner broke it off inside the tube in the engine could that cause any serious problems?

Thanks folks, this is my second post on here so excuse any faux pas.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
So am I correct in assuming the top part of the dipstick (the top that you pull out), is still in place?

First check your local Subaru shop and price a new one. They should also be able to tell you what years are common and I'm going to say from at least 03-08 should fit, possibly even from 99 since the 2.5 single cam engine has been used. But get advice from them.

Should it be reasonable, also check out one of our Supporting Vendors, Annapolis Subaru. Jackie at AS can give you a quote, online sources are usually cheaper than dealerships and Jackie also offers an additional discount for forum members, so let her know when you inquire. She can also ship it any way you want so explore her options. Read through some of the comments in some of her threads and you'll soon realize, why she is so popular with the members.

To be sure that the dipstick is not in there , I suggest you pick up one of those small extendable magnets at an auto supply shop for picking up dropped nuts and bolts and even some tools. You'll be met with some resistance since the tube is also light steel, but you should not have to go far down the tube to fish out the dipstick if it is still in there.

Keep us posted as to how this works out for your Foz.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
First to check if the Metal portion of the dip stick is still in the tube you can simply remove the whole tube. It is held in place by one bolt, located about 2.5" back and to the left of the dip stick(back right corner of the AC compressor), it is hidden by a wire loom. Once the bolt is removed the tube can be taken off with a little bit of creative wiggling, rotating, ect. The tube seals into the pan via 2 o-rings and you shouldn't have to worry about any oil coming out of the pan when you remove it.

OEM part numbers:
- 806910170 O-rings (qty. 2) MSRP $2ea
- 11140AA150 dip stick MSRP $13

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
First to check if the Metal portion of the dip stick is still in the tube you can simply remove the whole tube. It is held in place by one bolt, located about 2.5" back and to the left of the dip stick(back right corner of the AC compressor), it is hidden by a wire loom. Once the bolt is removed the tube can be taken off with a little bit of creative wiggling, rotating, ect. The tube seals into the pan via 2 o-rings and you shouldn't have to worry about any oil coming out of the pan when you remove it.

OEM part numbers:
- 806910170 O-rings (qty. 2) MSRP $13
- 11140AA150 dip stick MSRP $2ea
Thank you for that, Now I've learned something simpler and more effective.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
How the heck does someone break the dipstick?

Anyway, you first state it is missing then go on to assume it was broken. Which is it? If it's missing just get a new one, if it's broken, how?

:)

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
- pull it out when you change oil, forget about it and close the hood on it bending it into new shapes

- pull it out when you change oil, forget about it and close the hood, it then get run through the belts as it moves around the engine bay

- pull it out when you change oil, forget about it and close the hood, it drags on the ground as you drive the next 3K:icon_redface:('93 Hyundai Excel) Your dipstick is now 1/2 as long

- The plastic handle deteriorates and breaks away from the metal, happens a lot.

- The fastest way to make a dipstick disappear, Lay it across the battery terminals.

To name a few.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
^^^^^ Very informative as usual and also entertaining, lol.

To the OP, I would be lazy, buy a new dip stick and see if I could jam it down the tube and if you meet too much resistance, the old one is still in there and need to be removed but I won't stand behind this recommendation and you may want to buy two if you try this in case you break one, lol.

·
Registered
2007 Forester X Premium
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, good thoughts.

- I had thought of the extendable magnet as well but like the idea of pulling the tube off too.

- Hadnt thought of just sticking the new one in and looking for resistance.

- And to Hondaslayer, I say it is both missing and broken because I have the top of it and the metal stick is broken off. Therefore, it is broken off and missing.

Seems starting at the dealer and getting prices and models is a good idea. I can hunt from there. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts