Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After some really hard offroading last weekend, I hear a familiar knock, knock on the way home and I think the endlink had come loose (again). The car is caked in mud but I can see the front RHS endlink has snapped at the joint - so I buy a new endlink.

After I get the mud off everything (so I can attempt a clean install), I find that the endlink bolt has torn half way through the transverse link bracket and has split it.

(now I know what the 2 large "whacks" were under the car while offroad - I thought I had picked up a lump of wood in the wheel!)

So, I'm now thinking I should remove the endlinks for hard offroading (and I asked the same question a long time ago in the old forum) does anyone know of a quick release solution?

and - I'm assuming the the bracket will be OK once its been welded up (for normal onroad use) ?

Any other ideas to solve this problem?

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll get under the car this weekend. I had to try and straighten the bolt to get the nut off - but had no luck so I'll have to put it up on ramps to get a better go at it.

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the pics. It's even worse! You can see where the endlink has been pulled through the bracker and split it; well when I tried to remove the nut, a whole piece of the bracket came away! :( Needs a good welding job now

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Could that crack have begun from your trip to the Cape Kevin??

·
Administrator
15,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Casper said:
Could that crack have begun from your trip to the Cape Kevin??
I have been thinking exactly that as well. This is the same joint that loosened up while on Cape York. And a close look at the broken bracket edge shows that dirt has been in there a while!

Currently I'm running with the sway bar completely disconnected - doesn't seem to make much difference! (but I'm probably putting more stress on the rear sway bar)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts