·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peter Kenter
For Canwest News Service

Friday, December 11, 2009

More Britons would trust Queen Elizabeth to repair their cars than any other public figure.

That's the result of a recent survey conducted by the Institute of the Motor Industry among 2,000 consumers who were asked: "If your car breaks down and an official motorcade drives by, who would you hope had come to your rescue?"

About 16 per cent of respondents favoured the Queen.

Other well-known figures that followed closely in the standings were Conservative Party leader David Cameron at 13 per cent and American Idol's Simon Cowell at 11 per cent.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown trailed, polling a dismal nine per cent.

The survey was conducted to promote the Institute's Automotive Technician Accreditation (ATA) program.

Selecting Her Majesty to replace an alternator or fan belt, however, reveals more method than madness, says ATA spokesman Nigel Beaven: "People may know that during the Second World War the Queen trained to become a fully qualified mechanic."

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I'd let Gordon Ramsey repair my car before I let the queen any where near it. In fact I wouldn't let Obama or Bush near my car either. Clinton I bet would know a little about engines so he I would give a shot.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I'll take Leno. For politicians, I'll sell the car first. :biggrin: I know there are at least a few collectors / enthusiasts in Congress, just drawing a blank on the names.

I bet GWB could help out a bit, being as how he knows his way around a ranch. Gotta be at least some carry-over from tractors and such. I suppose that could apply to any politician who comes from a farm background.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
I'll take Leno. For politicians, I'll sell the car first. :biggrin: I know there are at least a few collectors / enthusiasts in Congress, just drawing a blank on the names.

I bet GWB could help out a bit, being as how he knows his way around a ranch. Gotta be at least some carry-over from tractors and such. I suppose that could apply to any politician who comes from a farm background.
Problem is GWB grew up as a spoiled little brat in Kennebunkport, Maine. His texas image was 'acquired' only later in life. Another pretender.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts