Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Forester Auto CVT
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on ozfoz as well but post here to see if anyone else can help.

Hi guys, have just had a rock hit the edge of my windscreen and made a pea sized chip which later developed a hairline crack of about 10cm across curving upwards another 10cm. Its only a half thickness crack and barely visible unless up close. So i am hoping to use one of those injectable thingies from supercheap to try a temp fix. Have seen longer and deeper cracks on youtube being mended and result was mint.

Located down south brisbane area. Anyone has a windscreen guy to recommend who will do mending of cracks? I am planning to keep the car another 5-6 years so really dont want to replace the windscreen and then worry about things like rusting of the mounting/leaking etc...

Does anyone have a half used glass mending kit, i could come around and try out a repair? Located southside brisbane but happy to drive and meet up

Also please share if you know of any brands of aftermarket windscreen glass that's thicker and better than the thin Subaru OEM glass?

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts
Don't you have windscreen replacement on your comprehensive insurance?

With the current cold weather it is likely to keep on cracking unless the end of the crack is drilled and the crack filled.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel 6MT
888 Posts
I've repaired windscreens with these kits and had the repairs last for years. Yours may be getting a bit long though- my cracks only went to say 2" (5cm) max. The kit I got at the time was a Permatex, did multiple cracks plus many, many small surface pits from lesser impacts.

·
Registered
2012 SH Manual Diesel
845 Posts
Another product to consider is a very low viscosity cyanoacrylate, such as a well known glue - 420 (various brands make it).

They can wick into very fine spaces, which could be helpful if a vacuum can’t be pulled on the crack. I’ve tried it on cracked house windows, and where the glue penetrates into the crack, it becomes barely noticeable.

I have also filled minor chips in windscreen, and you can barely notice them. Even better after a windscreen polish.

If you have a long crack, you might want to look into drilling the end of the crack to stop it from running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts