Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5XT
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've got a smog coming up and Cali restrictions have gotten more strict in recent years...and I'm expecting the worst. Thus, I'm trying to bring my car back to as close to stock as possible for the Smog test and am not sure how to get a tune for the stock configuration, with some exceptions.

The good news is that my 2006 Foz XT is not super modified. It has a Syms 3" downpipe connected to a Fujitsubo Legalis catback exhuast. Both of those will be replaced with a stock Forester XT exhaust, midpipe and downpipe. The only other modifications are:

1. STI TMIC
2. JDM VF48 Turbo and EJ257 engine (I assume this is still considered "stock" for an XT/STI)
3. NVIDIA Upipe (I don't plan on taking this off as it's a PITA).

The rest of the car's smog components are stock (BOV, etc).

Couple questions:
1. I assume with the XT OEM exhaust, and the rest of the setup, is considered "stock"? As noted above, I assume the STI intercooler and VF48 turbo are fine and you can't see the Uppipe.

2. I plan to buy an Accessport but what tune would I use? The VF48 is stock on an STI, not sure how to account for the XT exhaust and Uppipe? Would an stock XT map work, despite the VF48 and STI TMIC? Or would I use an '06 STI map? Is there some other OEM state-like OTS tunes that would work?

Thanks much for any guidance...

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
314 Posts
the intercooler should be fine, but the vf48 is not the stock turbo, its the STI turbo and is much larger, you will need a map specific for that turbo. also, for the upipe, you shouldn't have had a cat in your old one, so I think you are likely fine there if you left it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts