Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm doing two reviews in one here.... since we have vehicles with both!

At 102,329 miles, we got new tires on the Outback, shipped from TireRack. Size 225-60-16 Potenza G009's.

First impressions were okay, had to get them balanced twice for some reason. They seemed less sticky than our previous Goodyear Eagle RS-A's, which have horrible reviews on TireRack. They were quiet, a little stiffer in the sidewalls, and shed water nicely in the rain.

At about 107k miles, I was on the Ohio turnpike at 70mph when the left front went down. Luckily I was able to keep control and pull off to the side of the road while dad was still asleep ( :crazy: ). The tire itself wasn't compromised, but it appears that the Subaru dealer put in expired valve-stems, which quickly rotted, and caused my blowout. Tire was replaced under warranty, and all valve-stems were replaced. Three of the four were developing cracks. Bad mojo. The dealer gave us some sort of free lifetime service offer to keep quiet, but we just moved to a different one. Don't want them putting more ****** parts on my car.

Anywho, as the miles wore on, the tires got progressively noisier, and noisier (like Geosqueeler noisy). Another trait that showed itself as the tires wore was decreasing wet traction. Not hydroplaning, but things like stopping and accelerating. It seems that the tread compound itself gets slick when wet. In the snow they're just awful. My '92 Chevy 4x4 pickup stops and turns better in 2WD in the snow than my Subaru does, just because of the different tires.

At 151k, they're ready to be replaced due to camber wear in the insides of the tread. Overall, I wouldn't buy them again, or recommend them to anyone. They do look nice, but they don't have the performance to back the look up. Maybe they'd be good on a Honduh.

The G019 is the new version of the tire, which we have on my (step)mom's Volvo XC70 AWD (turbo :biggrin: ) wagon, and it runs the same size. They're a little wider than the older version, more stocky in appearance, and the wet handling is somewhat improved. Road noise is still noisy as noise can be. Not sure how they perform in the snow (the AWD systems are vastly different, and I haven't even driven the Volvo in the snow), but the reviews don't look much better than they were before.

Just not a great tire, IMO. Hope that helps anyone considering them. I'll be replacing them this summer with either General Altimax HP's or Yokohamas of some sort.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to clarify, the camber wear was not the fault of the tires, but my alignment settings. :wink:

Yeah, I'd pass... they're an okay tire, but not something I'd want to use year-round in the PNW or anywhere where you get a lot of snow or rain.

·
Registered
2015 Forester Premium CVT
665 Posts
I just bought a set of the Potenza G019 Grids for my '07 N/A. I was previously on Yoko AVID H4S - one of which was punctured on the Bay Bridge Saturday (http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f98/flat-tire-bay-bridge-73369/#post813552). The Yokos, which I got second hand, had over 30K on them when retired today so they were due to be changed in the next 3 months or so anyway.
I noticed right away the Potenzas are signficantly quieter on the highway vs the Yoko AVIDs. I have about 20 miles on them so it's far too early to make any judgments. I was in a pickle as my wife needs the car first thing tomorrow and my options to get a new set of tires were limited on short notice on a Sunday. It's suppose to rain in the next few days so I'll know soon how they perform in wet conditions. Plus, I am happy with the price all things considered. Bridgestone is offering a rebate on tire sets, this particular model qualified for a $50 rebate. Hopefully, I'll have better luck than MudRunner with this tire.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Car and Driver's comments (likely from the press kit distributed by Bridgestone) point out changes/upgrades from the G009 to the G019 Grid:
The Potenza G019 Grid is aimed at the all-season performance market, and replaces the Potenza G009. The rubber compound in the G019 features more silica to improve wet grip. Wet traction is also enhanced by vertical grooves in the tread block that are meant to help channel water to the main grooves. There are also lateral grooves designed to provide some level of snow traction, but dedicated winter tires will offer far better mobility in the snow.

The G019 comes in H (130 mph) and V (149 mph) speed ratings, which reflect the higher performance of modern family cars like the Honda Accord V-6. The treadwear rating of 460 is backed up by a 50,000 mile warranty. With 27 sizes from 15 to 18 inches, the G019 Grid fits a wide variety of cars.

Consumer Reports rates the tire a 74/100 (right at the "good" and "very good" break). As a point of reference, the Continental ContiPro Contacts that seem to be quite popular with SF.org'ers rated a 76/100, in the "very good range.

Specifically for the Potenza G019 Grid, these characteristics rated Excellent: Dry breaking and wet braking
These characteristics rated Very Good: Handling
These characteristics rated Good: Hydroplaning and Tread life
" " " Fair: Snow traction, ice braking, ride comfort, noise
" " " Poor: Rolling resistance

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great info, huja! I hope you have better results as well. :smile: Who knows, it may be a good tire on the Forester! Different cars like different tires.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... in a bizarre turn of events, I may end up with a new set of G019's. There is a Bridgestone dealer near our house here in LeJeune that is offering an incredible deal on them (something to the tune of $320 installed for a set of four on my car) with the military discount. I may not like them as much as some other tires, but heck, that's cheap, and they lasted quite a while on the car (which eats tires like I eat bacon).

I'll update later on, I suppose. Curious how the G019's compare to the 009's currently on this car. :shrug:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Well... in a bizarre turn of events, I may end up with a new set of G019's. There is a Bridgestone dealer near our house here in LeJeune that is offering an incredible deal on them (something to the tune of $320 installed for a set of four on my car) with the military discount. I may not like them as much as some other tires, but heck, that's cheap, and they lasted quite a while on the car (which eats tires like I eat bacon).

I'll update later on, I suppose. Curious how the G019's compare to the 009's currently on this car. :shrug:
That's a steal of a price. Since the G019's have both a different rubber compound and different tread pattern from the 009's, I would think of them as completely different tires.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'll be replacing them this summer with either General Altimax HP's or Yokohamas of some sort.
I've been very happy with general/continental. My friend put the altimax HP's on his 06 forester, and I just threw a set on my parent's prius and they're a great tire for the money. Lots of grip all around. I still think the continental extreme contact DWS or contiextremecontact are the best all around tire for the money. Haven't really been too impressed with anything from yoko.

Also, interesting to see that you got rotting tire stems, I've had the same issue lately, seems a bunch of shops are trying to get rid of old stock thats been sitting around a while. One of mine is rotting, and the dealership replaced the -wrong- one (one that wasn't rotting, left the one that was rotting on there), and then never even bothered to rebalance the wheel. I think 80% of the times I've brought my car into a shop its come out in worse shape than it went in!

·
SF.org Hero
04 FXTi 5MT
648 Posts
Thanks for this post, I just picked up my FXT last week and will be needing to get new tires. I have been debating on a few tires and I will make sure these stay off my list.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a steal of a price. Since the G019's have both a different rubber compound and different tread pattern from the 009's, I would think of them as completely different tires.
Well, as most things... it ended up being too good to be true. They said that my size was not eligible for the deal.

However... I ended up getting a set of General Altimax HP's! They definitely run narrow compared to the Potenzas, but they handle just as well once they're broken in (I have about 700 miles on mine and the handling is getting better and better with each mile). MPG has gone up about 2mpg during the last two tanks with them. Only driven in the rain once, but they gripped solidly, and no slipping even with my semi-heavy foot. :) Once they're worn out I'll write a full review. So far I like them better.

·
Registered
2007 Forester
2 Posts
Any further thoughts on the Altimax HPs? I'm heading down to Bellingham, WA from Canada on Monday to get a set of either the Bridgestone g019 or General Altimax HP installed, and any further insight / opinions would be extremely appreciated!

The guy at discount tire tried to talk me towards the Bridgestones stating flatly that they were a better tire, but they're nearly the same price, and frankly I've read more generally positive reviews about the Generals (seen quite a few reviews about the Bridgestones wearing badly and getting harsh / noisy).

Thoughts? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go with the Generals! Thus far, I am loving mine. Quiet, ride reasonably well, they get stickier and stickier the more I drive (which is a good thing). I have just under 3,000 miles on them, so I'd say they're pretty much broken in. They're great in the rain, and all the reviews I read said they were decent in snow (not as good as winter tires, of course).

We have a set of four G019's on our '04 Volvo XC-70, which has more sound deadening than a recording studio, and they are LOUD. When you're in the car above 45mph it sounds like you are driving some tin can econo-box, not a nearly $40k station wagon.

The Generals may get louder as they age, but the G019's on the Volvo only have about 20k on them, and have lots of tread left. I don't think that if it were my car I would be able to stand it much longer.

But, given my experience with the Altimaxes thus far... I say go with them!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
2 Posts
Awesome — thanks for the opinion! I ordered a set of the Altimax a bit earlier based on this, and other, recommendations, and can't wait to be rid of my worn-out Geolandars. Generally, I'm somewhat unfazed by noise, but the geolandars aren't quiet by any stretch of the imagination, and the bridgestones, by all accounts, are rumored to be even louder... on the verge of several long road trips in the late summer and fall, I'm looking forward to something a bit quieter.

I'll be using the Altimax frequently in the snow this winter on the way up to the local ski mountain, so I'll report back on how they perform later this year :)

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome, just keep us updated. :smile:

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 4EAT
1,062 Posts
I just ditched the Potenza G009's that came on my 2003 Outback. 225/60/16 H rated.

Pro: Wore like freaking iron. Still had 6-7/32's after 40,000 miles. Decent dry performance. Surprisingly good "dry" powder snow traction.

Cons: Everything else. Got noisier as they wore, wet traction was average at best. Winter traction was horrible. Wet snow, slush, ice...you name it it was lousy. ABS kicking in all the time, rear end kicking out at 5MPH, etc, etc.

Was not about to go through another winter on them. Replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4.

·
Registered
03 x
384 Posts
i run the g009 on my foz and love them. my 03 impreza had the g019grids on them and i used them at the track and they performed better then i figured an allseason would do. they last a long time but yes they can be noisy. i also run dedicated winter tires so i couldnt tell you how they are in the snow

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ditched the Potenza G009's that came on my 2003 Outback. 225/60/16 H rated.

Pro: Wore like freaking iron. Still had 6-7/32's after 40,000 miles. Decent dry performance. Surprisingly good "dry" powder snow traction.

Cons: Everything else. Got noisier as they wore, wet traction was average at best. Winter traction was horrible. Wet snow, slush, ice...you name it it was lousy. ABS kicking in all the time, rear end kicking out at 5MPH, etc, etc.

Was not about to go through another winter on them. Replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4.

They did, and do wear like iron. The set of G019's on my dad's Volvo has some 50k on them now, and they look like they have 60% tread left. However, I could HEAR THEM on the phone the other day as he drove up to DC. If I can hear the tires over the phone, in a luxury wagon interior (coated with leather) then those things are LOUD. :crazy:

Little update on the Generals....

Wet traction is epic, dirt traction is epic, and mud traction is surprisingly good. They actually seem to clear reasonably well provided you keep your foot in it.

Dry traction is decent, though definitely not as grippy as the Potenza's. On smooth finished concrete cloverleaves I can make them howl nicely. They provide around the perfect amount of traction for my car... enough that they will let go predictably long before before my car's body roll becomes a rolling body.

Wear thus far is good, I've torn the treadblocks up a little on the gravel, but nothing excessive. I have around 10k miles on them.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
back around the end of 2007, i was looking for a cheap a/s tire with decent light snow traction. it came down to the G-009s i got them in late 2007. i believe they were around the $70 - $80 range per tire.

i quickly noticed how good dry traction was, and how quiet they ran. they're the stock size (215/60 16) on lowered suspension. well, i've been back and forth between my ride heights. for the longest time, i had been running them with a bad alignment. still, i always noticed how quiet the ride has been. i've taken many hard corners with these tires and they've never slipped or squealed.

tire wear has been great. it's amazing how evenly all four corners have worn with only one front-to-rear rotation ever done, the bad alignment, how hard i've ran them, and all the miles i've put on them driving between san diego to los angeles to palm springs to orange county to riverside and back.

and they still track fine in the rain. before i worked on the engine, it ran so weak that i could never get the tires to slip. never had the chance to try them out in the snow.

i guess i've had really good experiences with them. i'm still running on them after 3 years (next month) with plenty of tread and a nail in one of the tires from a couple years back. but since i'll be moving to NY at the end of the year, i want to get a new set of tires for my drive there and for peace of mind. and it looks like i'll be going with the G-019s. c:

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
what great timing for this $70 off coupon that came in the mail from costco to show up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts