Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Much like the usual insurancd threads just wondering if anyone has any advice on breakdown cover?

When I bought the foz I got one of those free dealer breakdown covers with AA.. and since then they've peppered me with a few letters about upgrading to relay..

Letter sent in July said I could have Relay for JUST £30... I ignored it, and one sent end of August is telling me that now I can have it for a mere £20!

Wonder if I can get them down to a fiver? :unsure:

A mate is with green flag, but I've heard mixed reviews due to the fact they don't have their own fleet..

Edit: Just after info on your experiences (if any) as I know on the web in general there is tons of comparisons..

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Breakdown cover......For a Subaru?

I vaguely remember Adac being mentioned a few years back on here, based in Germany but will cover cars all over Europe from my understanding. Not sure how that would work with Brexit - If it ever happens

I can't remember the last time I saw a Green Flag or RAC vehicle.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha... well, I'm hoping it will blend into general expenditure for, ya know, the just in case times haha.

Of course I'm hoping it won't ever need it.. but wouldn't want to find out the hard way, especially being AWD...

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I would use the good old AA they once took me all they way to Penzance from Sussex to get an engine swap on my old Land Rover .
Of course I knew the old girl wouldn't make it to Cornwall (catastrophic rear main crank seal failure) so I joined a month before the trip.
The journey started in Eastbourne and ended abruptly in Hailsham approx. 4 miles with a totally seized engine ,as I knew it would.

To cut a very long story short I called the AA and they sent someone out to see if it could be fixed and the AA man said "where has all your oil gone" I shrugged my shoulders I replied "I dunno?" . So as it transpired I would need a total lift from a beaver tail truck to where ever I was going .

That's 336 miles for £70 odd quid ……. but theres more .

On they way the AA guy managed to run out of Diesel because all the petrol stations he could use his fuel card at where shut ,so we ran out on the M25 .
After the initial panic was over he turned to me and said "have you got diesel in yours?" I said " Yep …… but you wont like the colour of it" .

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
The story goes on …… sat on the M25 the AA was trying to syphon fuel out of mine in the worst rain storm ever and he had been out in it for sometime , at last he came back saying it was hard to do because of the bends in the filler neck …….. He was absolutely Drenched 🤣

I calmly told him he should simply use the drain plug on the bottom of the tank that Land Rover had provided for such an eventuality .

:sneaky:Any way with the dirty diesel deed done we pulled off the motorway in search of a fuel station by the time we had found one it was dark and he got out of the truck and started filling , when he finished he filled mine up too to the tune of £55 odd 🤣

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
And they fill your fuel tank when you breakdown? :D

I think I would be asking:
Do the AA only use AA teams or do they sub out work when busy to other companies? And do they cover things like batteries or have a limit on call outs/recoveries per year?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Talking of breakdowns, possibly averted one today finding only a puddle in the expansion tank :eek: The hose was still submerged just about thankfully.:unsure:
Removed, cleaned and refilled with distilled water until I can find out what SMD put in and get some antifreeze tomorrow

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Talking of breakdowns, possibly averted one today finding only a puddle in the expansion tank :eek: The hose was still submerged just about thankfully.:unsure:
Removed, cleaned and refilled with distilled water until I can find out what SMD put in and get some antifreeze tomorrow
How do find Brent to deal with @TMX
and where do you think the coolant has gone , may be it wasn't burped properly ?

that reminds me I haven't looked at mine for a while .

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Generally I find him ok to deal with in person but getting hold of him on the phone can be tricky, or when they say they'll call you back and don't........With the lack of courtesy cars and being a bit of a drive, I only use SMD for bigger jobs now and change the oil etc myself (Reminds me I need to do that this month) SMD used to be very good value for money and worth the drive. But now? I think twice...........

How do you find them to deal with @Lockheed ?

The coolant is about 4 years old now and last time I checked it properly was probably June-ish thinking about it, but remember it being half way between full and empty then, so not concerned she is drinking coolant....For now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
TMX
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing