Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have gone past 1000 miles on my new '05 auto XT. I stayed below 4K pretty faithfully and never went full throttle. Now I have and I am impressed! My other vehicle is a 2002 4.3 litre auto std cab Chevy S10 with JBA headers, Gibson Catback exhaust, a K&N Intake, Superchips tuning, and a 4.10 posi rear. The S10 has been to the strip and is good for around a 15.25 qtr mile (altitude adjusted). I didn't expect the XT to be much quicker (the S10 is actually a little lighter than the XT). I am happy to report I was wrong, at least at this altitude (3250 ft.) The XT is 4-5 mph faster at the approx 1/8th mile mark of my personal usually deserted interstate on ramp proving ground. I love the 4.44 rear end. This thing really pulls in first gear, and after a slight lag when shifting to second pulls hard thereafter. The question in all of this is: does the AP 1 do away with the hesitation and the first gear to second gear shift? The tranny is shifting itself. I'm not manually shifting it. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
399 Posts
mslasube said:
I finally have gone past 1000 miles on my new '05 auto XT. I stayed below 4K pretty faithfully and never went full throttle. Now I have and I am impressed! My other vehicle is a 2002 4.3 litre auto std cab Chevy S10 with JBA headers, Gibson Catback exhaust, a K&N Intake, Superchips tuning, and a 4.10 posi rear. The S10 has been to the strip and is good for around a 15.25 qtr mile (altitude adjusted). I didn't expect the XT to be much quicker (the S10 is actually a little lighter than the XT). I am happy to report I was wrong, at least at this altitude (3250 ft.) The XT is 4-5 mph faster at the approx 1/8th mile mark of my personal usually deserted interstate on ramp proving ground. I love the 4.44 rear end. This thing really pulls in first gear, and after a slight lag when shifting to second pulls hard thereafter. The question in all of this is: does the AP 1 do away with the hesitation and the first gear to second gear shift? The tranny is shifting itself. I'm not manually shifting it. Thanks for any input!
From what i have read, the auto pulls timing during upshifts to protect the tranny. A Ford Lightning does a similar thing. I don't think any "safe" tuning map will alter that too much. But, if I were you, I would call Cobb and ask their AP tech support.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
mslasube said:
The question in all of this is: does the AP 1 do away with the hesitation and the first gear to second gear shift? The tranny is shifting itself. I'm not manually shifting it. Thanks for any input!
There is a slight lag on my '06 FXT 4EAT with AP Stage 1. I don't remember how it was before the AP, but I know it seems smoother on acceleartion and downshifts with the AP. Now it seems to let up on power, as it shifts, but there is not a noticeable jump when it happens.

F

·
0 Posts
I never really noticed this with stage 1. Lag was reduced from stock, but you always runn into the problem of being in to high of a gear and flooring it. This wont be that big of a deal for those without an upipe cat.

The best thing about the Ap is stage 2. Its a night and day difference from stage 1. Around town i wouldnt ever need any moer power than what I have, but on the highway, you can really feel the limits of the td04.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Follow up question-Has anyone installing the AP run into a problem with the passenger side green connectors being disconnected? I understand I may have to peel the carpet back or partially take off a kick panel to locate them. I found the 2 unatttached green connectors on the driver's side. I assume they are the only unattached green connectors up there. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on this! Thanks again! Your input this far has been encouraging!

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
I can't say for sure about the '05. My "little green connectors" were burried under the instrument panel, just left of the steering wheel.

Follow the directions EXACTLY. Take your time. Make sure your battery is charged. It takes like 30 minutes to do the download, but should take you less than 15 besides that.

Some people have had problems, but I suspect most didn't get the connectors plugged/unplugged, etc. at the right time. Be very carefull of the OBDII connector - don't knock it out!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts