Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation: Last week in the parking ramp an idiot was coming around the corner fast and almost hit me...I "SLAM" on the brakes.

Since then...driving to work is fine but coming home the steering wheel starts to shake as if the wheels are unbalanced...I noticed the smell of brake pads...the brake PEDAL feels hard and I don't even have to brake the car at low speed...a little tap on the pedal and the car stop...it will be in this state for a while. I am assuming the caliper but not sure...I did BLEED all four sides and it drives fine then as I get on the highway it starts all over again...

THEN...IF I drive on the small roads (30-40mph) it drives fine...

I need help fast as this is my daily driver...

side note if help: I drive 50 miles total per day for work..+ misc. driving too.

thx

·
Registered
01 Forester S
102 Posts
damn. Sounds like a bleed black that isn't happening. Check the wear on your pads, check for sticky caliper pistons (pull the caliper, move the pads all the way back, reinstall/repreasurize the brakes), check the quality of fluid in your master cylinder (needs to be CLEAR). Pads are fairly cheap, you may be near the end of their effective life span. Just some thoughts. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
98 Forester
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
damn. Sounds like a bleed black that isn't happening. Check the wear on your pads, check for sticky caliper pistons (pull the caliper, move the pads all the way back, reinstall/repreasurize the brakes), check the quality of fluid in your master cylinder (needs to be CLEAR). Pads are fairly cheap, you may be near the end of their effective life span. Just some thoughts. Good luck, keep us posted.

Pads have 50% life left and one of the piston have a small leak when I pressure it back down with C clamp...fluid are cripy clean...I changed the master cylinder about 2 month ago...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts