Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago I was driving pretty aggressively and when I got home I noticed smoke coming from the passenger side brakes.

Since then the brakes have felt a little "soft".
I checked the fluid and it was low so I filled it to the proper level.

Today I put on new front pads (old ones still had lots of life) and took it for a test drive.
I got up to around 50mph and hit the brakes pretty hard.
Did this about three times and the passenger side was smoking really bad.

Brakes still feel pretty soft. Doesn't feel like they need to be bled but the car definitely doesn't have the stopping power of my 04 Forester.
My 14 has 4-wheel disc brakes.
My 02 has drums on the back.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
One thing is you should let breaks gently wear in for a couple hundred miles before working them hard. I realize this is not always possible.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing is you should let breaks gently wear in for a couple hundred miles before working them hard. I realize this is not always possible.
Yeah, I probably should have but I didn't really hit them that hard.
Got up to around 50 and stopped pretty quickly.
Only did this about 3 times and brakes were smoking.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stuck piston or the slide pin needs to be greased? Calipers from the junkyard are dirt cheap, or you could rebuild it. I would try that and do a full fluid flush.
Seems to be working fine now but my rotors are now warped.
Not noticeable with normal driving but you notice it when hitting the brakes at higher speeds.

When I replace the rotors I'll make sure the slide pins are greased.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 Sorta Frush Forester 4EAT
1,779 Posts
go all out and get some nice drilled and slotted rotors ;) thats overkill glad the problem was solved :)

·
Registered
2002 S 5MT
15 Posts
This depends on the type of brake pad you are using. Most race/sport pads require you to bed in your brakes in order for them to operate at their maximum potential. Basically, read the literature included with your pads.

Glad you ID'd the problem OP

·
Registered
2004 Forester XS
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stuck piston or the slide pin needs to be greased? Calipers from the junkyard are dirt cheap, or you could rebuild it. I would try that and do a full fluid flush.
Yep, you nailed it.
I put on new rotors and the passenger side caliper didn't look good.

I didn't have a new caliper with me so I put the old one back on.
Bought a rebuilt caliper ($50) from Advance Auto and everything is good now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 FXT 6MT
2,699 Posts
go all out and get some nice drilled and slotted rotors ;) thats overkill glad the problem was solved :)
Eh, these are a waste of money. The slots will eat through brake pads as they continually "scrub" the pad to a fresh surface. The drill holes make weak points in which the rotor can crack. Additionally, you can't resurface these, once they're warped, they're garbage.

Just get Centric premium blanks and call it a day, they're great value.

Yep, you nailed it.
I put on new rotors and the passenger side caliper didn't look good.

I didn't have a new caliper with me so I put the old one back on.
Bought a rebuilt caliper ($50) from Advance Auto and everything is good now.

Thanks!
Good to hear!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts