Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently had new front brake pads and rotors installed. When braking, it still doesn't feel like it's stopping quick enough for my liking. There's like a second or two of hesitation, but it was recently inspected and passed, and I think the rear pads are only 40% worn. I am possibly paranoid (no, let's face it, I AM about brakes), but is there anything else that could require attention? Nothing else was brought to my attention after the inspection.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Ever had fluid flushed?

Were calipers rebuilt,at least the slide pins cleaned and regreased?

Did you complain to the shop that did the work?

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever had fluid flushed?

Were calipers rebuilt,at least the slide pins cleaned and regreased?

Did you complain to the shop that did the work?
1. Ever? Yes, but not recently.
2. Calipers are pretty rusty; I'm not sure if they were ever replaced/repaired. Slide pins have been cleaned (a year or 2 ago).

I probably should!

·
Registered
1999 A/T - 235,000 mi. WA state
926 Posts
a second or two hesitation in applying brakes would get my attention; but I note my '99 brakes do not grab as well as other cars from that same era. Don't know the answer, but mine feel the same, except for the delay.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
Did they tell you whose pads and rotors they sold you? They are not all equal.
Second thought.
I've sometimes have felt that the brakes were off and this helped. Have you tried using them real hard a couple of times. Just be safe while doing it.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Forester S, 4EAT
3,197 Posts
I had maybe a similar issue with my 2001. Fixed it by adjusting the brake pedal free play.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts
The caliper pistons and seals could be worn or leaking, plus the slide pins. (Silicone BTW, does not last very long, better to use a long lasting grease like Molykote Caliper pin grease). May be time for a serious caliper overhaul.
Pistons are about $22 each, plus the seal kit, another $30.00 It starts to add up, so at least start by taking the calipers apart. A brake fluid flush will also help if it hasn't been done in a while. The calipers should also get a wire wheel cleaning if heavy rust is present.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 4EAT
1,013 Posts
Have you done a brake test? What I mean with that: Try to step on the brakes as hard as possible. Does the ABS kick in? No? Try the same on a gravel surface. Does the ABS kick in now? If not, you DO have some issues with your braking system! If your pedal goes all the way to the floor, you have some issues as well. (could be your brakes need to be bled, could be your brake master cylinder has gone bad)
If your ABS DOES kick in, it could be a perception issue. If you feel that you have to press on the pedal REALLY hard, it's possible your brake booster has started malfunctioning. Or maybe you have a vacuum leak.

I know that the brakes on my 2009 Forester XT are much more responsive than in my 2004 XT.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
(Silicone BTW, does not last very long, better to use a long lasting grease like Molykote Caliper pin grease).
I use Silglyde ceramic grease and had no problems
.I had problems with other synthetic brake greases as they make the rubber bushing on the lower slide pin swell...result being jammed up brakes that don't release or activate well(dragging brakes).

I haven't used Molycote.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
319 Posts
For better pedal feel and better stopping power:

1.) change tires to a stickier set
2.) change the rubber oem brake lines to either new or braided SS with a clear silicone jacket
3.) brake pads - hi perfo, ceramic not really required
4.) slotted rotors

There are other options if you want bigger:

A.) leggy H6 brakes
B.) WRX 4pot/2pot brakes
C.) STi Brembo

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i Limited CVT
1,568 Posts

2.) change the rubber oem brake lines to either new or braided SS with a clear silicone jacket
4.) slotted rotors

A.) leggy H6 brakes
B.) WRX 4pot/2pot brakes
C.) STi Brembo
Some of those options are very $$$.
I am interested in the brake line upgrade. What is the name brand and where do you buy on line?
I don't really want anything Made in China if possible.
RalliTek doesn't have brake lines for 2015 Foresters BTW. Thanks

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT Manual
319 Posts
StopTech or Goodridge.

You can try rallysport for some pricing, or you can look at some vendors that are here on this board, or look some vendors that are on NASIOC board.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did they tell you whose pads and rotors they sold you? They are not all equal.
Second thought.
I've sometimes have felt that the brakes were off and this helped. Have you tried using them real hard a couple of times. Just be safe while doing it.
They were OEM. I'll have to give this a try.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

4.) slotted rotors

A.) leggy H6 brakes
B.) WRX 4pot/2pot brakes
C.) STi Brembo
That sounds awfully expensive for my oldie. :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a second or two hesitation in applying brakes would get my attention; but I note my '99 brakes do not grab as well as other cars from that same era. Don't know the answer, but mine feel the same, except for the delay.
They've definitely never been the greatest, but I feel like they definitely worked better before... you know, when it was younger. :)

·
Registered
2001 Forester S
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you done a brake test? What I mean with that: Try to step on the brakes as hard as possible. Does the ABS kick in? No? Try the same on a gravel surface. Does the ABS kick in now? If not, you DO have some issues with your braking system! If your pedal goes all the way to the floor, you have some issues as well. (could be your brakes need to be bled, could be your brake master cylinder has gone bad)
If your ABS DOES kick in, it could be a perception issue. If you feel that you have to press on the pedal REALLY hard, it's possible your brake booster has started malfunctioning. Or maybe you have a vacuum leak.

I know that the brakes on my 2009 Forester XT are much more responsive than in my 2004 XT.
Good thoughts! On my to-do list.

·
Registered
2006 Forester
5 Posts
So, I recently had new front brake pads and rotors installed. When braking, it still doesn't feel like it's stopping quick enough for my liking. There's like a second or two of hesitation, but it was recently inspected and passed, and I think the rear pads are only 40% worn. I am possibly paranoid (no, let's face it, I AM about brakes), but is there anything else that could require attention? Nothing else was brought to my attention after the inspection.
The brake pads on my 06 Forester were getting a bit skinny, not bad but less than I would like. I purchased new grooved and cross drilled rotors and pads from Summit Racing and installed them. The breaking is incredible. If you elect to do it yourself, it's an easy job; just make sure to use the pin grease provided.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts