Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 XT with totally stock brakes and some fairly stickey tires. I feel like if I stomp on the mushy pedal the current setup will bring the car to a stop with the ABS doing its thing. I want to know about getting rid of heat. I will tow a small trailer and drive the mountains in the heat of the summer.

The question is what upgrade path should I take to to have longer lasting warp free brakes that cool better. If that means bigger brakes thats OK but I would like to get them under the stock 16 inchers if possible. I may look for stock 17 inchers if I need to. I have done several searches but have not found what I am looking for.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
98 GM67 + 03 SG
357 Posts
Don't ride the brakes and you should be fine. Heat should not be an issue during every day driving or while towing. The only way I could see it being a problem is if you ride the brakes going down a long hill while towing. Otherwise, if you just apply quick pressure now and then to help control the speed of the vehicle, you shouldn't have any issues.

If you really want to go overkill, larger 2 piece rotors would work. Couple that with piping in some ducting from the front bumper, aluminum calipers and better pads and you should be all set. Of course, you'll need larger rims and this pretty much makes daily driving a PITA. And you're running the same setup that most dedicated track cars use.

The stock brakes are fine. If you are concerned, flush and bleed the system properly, keep up on pad changes and occasionally heat the brakes up well to keep an even pad surface on the rotors and you'll have close to zero issues.

·
Registered
05 FXT
1,540 Posts
Had no problems towing w/ my 05 VF39'ed FXT. Ran Hawk HPS pads up front and stockers out back. Had ~900 lbs behind the car and 2 people in the car w/ some another odd ~100 lbs of gear.

Definitely left extra space to brake, but that was more for concern over tire limitations w/ that much extra mass behind me. Never had fade issues.

Oh, I am a manual trans so I did use the engine to help brake quite a bit as well.

·
Registered
27 car gear
846 Posts
2005 Outback XT rotors from Centric.
Upgraded pads like Hawk or Stoptech Street Performance, even EBC Reds.

Thats all you could ever need.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so sounds like good quality stock style parts and smart driving should do the trick. Thanks everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts