Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as of today I am finally done w/ the brake upgrade.

Put rotors and pads on front and back. So now I have:

-RacingBrake cross-drilled and slotted rotors (front and back)
-EBC Red brake pads (front and back)
-Goodridge SS lines (front and back)
-Motul RBF 600 racing brake fluid

Let me tell you that since I put the rotors and pads on my braking is night and day difference compared to stock...simply amazing. During the initial bedding of the pads I came to a stop at a light from getting off the highway...smoke started billowing from my wheel wells. People were staring at me like my car was going to blow up or catch fire:spinnasmiley

Also, I was amazed at the good condition of the stock brake rotors and how much of the stock pads I have left w/ me having ~45K on them...but of course that was mostly highway miles so it makes sense. But I decided to keep them in case I need them;-)

I will keep you updated on what I think about the new setup but right now I am amazed at the difference.:Banane01:

Thanks to Jamie aka Subiegal for selling me the pads at the introductory rate about a year or more ago:lol:(yes, I finally got them on), Peaty for good info on scoobymods.com, my buddy Julian from dcawd.com for the grease for my brakes, and last but not least Alan aka FXTIam for going out of his way to bring me 8mm bolts to get the rear rotors off. Thank you all!:clap1:

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Almost forgot the $7 caliper piston compressor doodad thing from advanceautoparts...couldn't have gotten anything done w/o that.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
Sounds great, kudos.

Think it would pay to get the Legacy rear rotor kit for balance?

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeffn said:
Sounds great, kudos.

Think it would pay to get the Legacy rear rotor kit for balance?
Yeah, I am kicking myself for selling that for $200 when I paid $260 shipped for it...will probably end up w/ that and the suby 4-pots later on. But next time I will get the rear upgrade w/ slotted rotors.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
did you do everything at once ?

I changed to speedbleeders, STI SS lines, and ATE fluid.. I have RB slotted rotors and Panter Plus pads sitting in my basement...

my brake pedal is still kinda mushy and there's too much play before the brakes kick in... not sure if it's the pads or whether I still have air in my lines...

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I wish I had SS brakes lines like yours. nice job!

sirwilliam said:
Almost forgot the $7 caliper piston compressor doodad thing from advanceautoparts...couldn't have gotten anything done w/o that.
C clamp.

and on the Legacy rear upgrade, check your local scap yard, thats what I did $60 for cariers and newer rotors off a smashed up 03

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
twg said:
did you do everything at once ?

I changed to speedbleeders, STI SS lines, and ATE fluid.. I have RB slotted rotors and Panter Plus pads sitting in my basement...
No, I did the SS lines and motul fluid about 2-3 weeks ago. The rotors and pads I did yesterday. I was actually at a friends house for a bit and did the front rotors and pads, then drove carefully home so as not to use the brakes at all and finished up by doing the rear rotors and pads.

twg said:
my brake pedal is still kinda mushy and there's too much play before the brakes kick in... not sure if it's the pads or whether I still have air in my lines...
Sounds like you may have air in the lines. Make sure you pump them up good too.;-)

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GIT-R-DONE said:
Not sure if you use the same lines as the XT but I paid $100 shipped for mine from ebay and I think you can find them now for around $75.

GIT-R-DONE said:
Yeah, I didn't have a c-clamp and the caliper compressor doodad thingy works a lot better and easier.

GIT-R-DONE said:
and on the Legacy rear upgrade, check your local scap yard, thats what I did $60 for cariers and newer rotors off a smashed up 03
I will have to do that. Thanks.;-)

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Brake bleed sequence

SirWilliam-
I've heard pretty good things about the Hawk pads. Glad you like them.

TWG-
Slow pedal movement is just as important as bleed sequence.

From the 2003-2004 Forester service manual...

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Glad to have helped, Sirwilliam. Glad you managed to bed in the brakes without needing the fire dpeartment too!! Let us know how they work and wear - especially with your fancy new rotors!!

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FXTIam said:
Glad to have helped, Sirwilliam. Glad you managed to bed in the brakes without needing the fire dpeartment too!! Let us know how they work and wear - especially with your fancy new rotors!!
Haha, yeah...I will definitely keep you updated. Stay in touch once you move into your castle a couple of states over;-)

With the new rotors it looks better w/ the larger wheels...for some reason they don't look as puny w/ the cross-drilled holes and slots.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
558 Posts
GIT-R-DONE said:

C clamp.

Which yr/model Leg fit best? GT?

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Let me tell you that since I put the rotors and pads on my braking is night and day difference compared to stock...simply amazing.
Yesterday I went over the mountain (down near Harrisonburg, over the Blue Ridge Parkway, for those that know) moving pretty fast. Going up wasn't too bad...coming down was uh....an experience. The (stock) brakes got hot and shuddered very bad. Will SOA provide me new rotors? It wasn't driven that hard - I stayed in my lane the entire time. IMO the stock brakes just ain't enough.

Time to go shopping for new brakes....I need bigger/better front rotors to handle the heat better. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
If you want to go aftermarket and big.. and don't want to go with the STi brembos, I would look in to Rotoras.

FXTIam said:
Yesterday I went over the mountain (down near Harrisonburg, over the Blue Ridge Parkway, for those that know) moving pretty fast. Going up wasn't too bad...coming down was uh....an experience. The (stock) brakes got hot and shuddered very bad. Will SOA provide me new rotors? It wasn't driven that hard - I stayed in my lane the entire time. IMO the stock brakes just ain't enough.

Time to go shopping for new brakes....I need bigger/better front rotors to handle the heat better. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
Jeffn said:
Which yr/model Leg fit best? GT?
all the same....I think 2000-2006?
I got mine off a GT

I finally installed the Legacy rears today made a differance

·
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FXTIam said:

If I had the money, I would go w/ 2 piece rotors front and rear w/ AP Racing calipers front and rear, or at least the front and then get the larger legacy rear upgrade.

http://www.apracing.com/

I am well pleased about my upgrade. I believe the rotors are slightly heavier than stock but are much beefier and stop much better.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
sirwilliam said:
Huh?:think: I am running EBC Red brake pads (front and back)
Man. I just read this and didn't realize what was going on...:tongue: Guess I had Hawk pads on the brain for some reason.

Didn't someone sell their used EBC Reds just recently?

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
I have some Reds available for shipping cost. Only 4K, the rears are "H6".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts