Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new front pads on last week (they were the £20 cheapies from the local motor factors.) They have started squealing, not when I brake but as I'm driving at low speed. Anyone have a fix for this?

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
£20, ya cheap southern git :biggrin:

it might be the compound at that price. did you put copper grease on the pads and pins?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
If they are squealing when driving (as opposed to when braking) they are binding, they shouldn't be on the disc hard enough, remove, clean slider surfaces and copper grease, reassemble.

Simon

·
Registered
97 JDM S/tb Manual
1,570 Posts
If squealling at low speed when braking, anti squeal shims is what you need. They go between the pad and piston. Otherwise as Rookie said, the're binding.

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
I have some ferodos on the front that are crap, throw off loads of dust and went through a very squealy phase for a few weeks after I put them in. It's stopped now but they're still crap. EBC yellowstuffs on the back, clean but again not fabulous considering how they go on about them being 'race quality but useable on the road'.

Performace friction are supposed to be the big thing at the moment I think. £££ though.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
I have them

£99 delivered from Alyn

I m happy with them

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
EBC yellowstuffs on the back, clean but again not fabulous considering how they go on about them being 'race quality but useable on the road'.
Need to get heat into them which might be more difficult in the rears... same to a lesser extent with the Red Stuff pads but once they're heated up they're pretty good and fade free.

As for the squealing, they may not have come with the anti-squeal shims.

G

·
I have £20 pattern parts pads in mine, work great even under heavy braking, the only downside is they rattle in the caliper going over bumps..

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I have el cheapo pads in mine too. they stop the car good enough just have to wash the dust off the wheels more often

I think the green stuff and kevlar brake pads are awsome for the track and people who drive "enthusiastically"

but my forester is my practical car..... plenty of space, and a nice long distance drive

besides i have an automatic so im contiuously pressing the brake pedal as i have practically no engine braking!

·
Registered
2005 FSTI 'The Limo' Manual
420 Posts
What were the disks like?

If there is a bit of a lip around the disk edge then that can cause noise if the new pads don't sit in exactly the same place as the old ones.

I usually run a grinder around the edge of the disk before fiting new pads

·
Registered
1999 forester s turbo
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice people, Iv'e been away for the last few days so am bumping the thread. Will take them to pieces tomorrow and regrease. See what happens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts