Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 s
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the speical producure to bleed my 2001 forster s, i have bleed twice, still pedal spoongy and pedal goes down, is there speical produce since this car has abs?

·
Registered
2007 Forester 2.5x SE
879 Posts
Spongy?

Have you replaced all the old brake fluid (bled all the old fluid from ALL the lines). If the brake fluid is bad then is can be spongy (have tiny air bubbles). There are other things that can make the brake peddle "Soft" too, like bad brake lines, or a worn out master cylinder. Have you checked all the slave/wheel cylinders and lines for leaks? Are you getting a brake warning light on the dash?

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
..... is there special produce since this car has abs?
This is what the manual has listed.

Brake fluid replacement sequence;
(A) Front passenger side
(B) Rear driver side
(C) Front driver side
(D) Rear passenger side

There can be a number of other reasons for spongy brakes as others have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,070 Posts
I personally have never had issues doing brakes out of order.....

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
yet everything i have been told to do is bleed and replace back to front........
bleed proceedure I have been told by every mechanic I have worked with has always been start with the wheel farthest from yhe M/C and work your way to the one the M/C is sitting nearest .

Thats what I have used on $2000.00 beater VW's all the way up to $50000.00 + scca porsche 911's track only cars . I never have had a bad bleed that was a bone head move by me LOL

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
If you have spongy brakes , all the fluid has been replaced and there is no air in the system then could be due to 1) flexible brake hoses perished and expanding when brakes applied. 2) leaking rubber seals in the master cylinder or more unlikely the abs manifold . Make sure all pistons in the calipers are free to move as seized pistons cause poor brake performance. Also air can get trapped in the calipers. You could try blanking off each flexi hose in turn with mole grips eg , and seeing if the pedal firms up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts