Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 FXT, and for the past year, the brakes keep squealing, especially in the mornings. Everytime I go in for oil changes, I have the dealer check the brakes, and they provide me with the same response: "Brake noise is common, your brakes work fine."

Should I be concerned? Is this really normal or should I get a second opinion from an independent mechanic?

It's more of a nuisance, but I do feel bummed out that I spent so much money on a FXT and I've had nothing but "problems" since I've bought it - rod knock, engine replacement, brake noise. I feel like a Honda Civic would've been less of a headache...

Thoughts, please.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Mine don't make a sound and I haven't seen anyone here complain about them in that regard. Since the vehicle is under warranty I would ask to setup an appointment with the regional service manager that goes around to the dealers and explain your issue. Sounds (pun intended), to me like it should not be happening. I forgot to ask how many miles you have on the FOZ?

Regarding you engine replacement........Did you ask for an extended warranty? It has happened to some here and it has been very well discussed in the "Subaru issues a stop sale" thread. Some here have gotten an extended warranty from Subaru....but you gotta ask or complain about this. If you don't they won't, most likely, offer it to you.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
Try rebedding your pads.
+1. Give that a try, first.

Despite being a "car guy," I honestly didn't know that this had to be done more than once - that re-bedding is necessary. :icon_redface: How embarrassing.

When my LGT's brakes began acting up this past spring, I literally took them apart to look for obstructions between the pad and rotor, etc... all to no avail.

Until they just magically stopped, one day.

????

Come to find out, later this fall, that what I simply should've done was to re-bed the pads, and that, more than likely, what had happened was that as I'd switched to my summer tires, I'd began to also drive harder, and that essentially caused the pads to re-bed themselves, which took care of the noise issue. Again, how embarrassing. :icon_redface:

This is a great resource:

Essex - Learning Center - How to Bed-in Brake Pads and Rotors

Jeff used to work for StopTech - he's known in many of the Subaru community Forums.

---

Also, remember that "first thing in the morning," it's not uncommon for your rotor to have developed just a thin surface layer of rust - which a quick swipe of the pads from your first or first few brake applications will take care off. That's normal. :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Great video TSi........Thanks for the link. :rock:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Stock pads are such a compromise. A nice downhill mountain run is all it takes to overheat the pads and cause the famous "warping".

Stop and go traffic conditions and debris can all create noise. The rotors and pads just need a little heat and some friction to clean them off. That is why when people resort to new rotors and pads and their clean surfaces, they think that the "warping" was miraculously fixed.

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,551 Posts
^ Yep, pad deposits have been a problem on the BL/BP Legacys, too.

What embarrasses me is that I know enough to know about things like improper bedding, pad deposits, etc. - but that I didn't know that bedding wasn't a one-time deal. Heck, it even makes sense, logically. I just couldn't see it! :redface:

Great video TSi........Thanks for the link. :rock:
NP. Glad to be able to help someone else - like I said, I was embarrassed, myself! :smile:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. I have yet to rebed the brakes. Maybe I'll try this weekend.

I did get the extended warranty with engine replacement.

Dealers are always trying to avoid the issue. Maybe I'll have an independent mechanic look at it.

·
Registered
2008 STI 6 Speed
48 Posts
Stock pads are such a compromise. A nice downhill mountain run is all it takes to overheat the pads and cause the famous "warping".

Stop and go traffic conditions and debris can all create noise. The rotors and pads just need a little heat and some friction to clean them off. That is why when people resort to new rotors and pads and their clean surfaces, they think that the "warping" was miraculously fixed.
Yup - it's lather/rinse/repeat.

Use the brakes hard - overheat the rather lame OEM pads - they then overdeposit on the rotors usually leading to pulsing.

Take to dealer - he TURNS rotors - maybe installs new pads.

FIXED

Repeat driving conditions -and the issue comes right back.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup - it's lather/rinse/repeat.

Use the brakes hard - overheat the rather lame OEM pads - they then overdeposit on the rotors usually leading to pulsing.

Take to dealer - he TURNS rotors - maybe installs new pads.

FIXED

Repeat driving conditions -and the issue comes right back.
Are you serious...? This is very frustrating. I've own a lot of cars (all of them used), and this is my first brand new car and I can't believe this is such a hassle.

I want to love my Subaru, but I'm 99.9% sure this will be first and only.

Sucks. Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts