Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester Premium Automatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was told by a local mechanic (where I bought my tires) that I need to replace my brake lines as they are "rusted" before I can get an inspection sticker. The guy said "I'm surprised you won't lose your brakes if you step hard on the brakes!", which to me sounds a little stupid.

Anyways, the place said I also have one tire that needs replacement for sticker and "since this is a AWD I should replace all 4 tires" which I've heard before. It may be true, but to me they're just fishing to get the most money out of me. So I gotta come up with $1000 for these items to be done (including also a front ball joint) for a sticker.

But now that I'm older and wiser I'm taking it to my local SUBARU mechanic first for a 2nd opinion! HAHA! I won't be taken anymore. If my SUBARU mech says the brake lines are bad, I'll know the other guy wasn't BSing me and also my local SUBARU mechanic said I don't necessarily have to replace all 4 tires.

Thoughts?

Also, stupid me told the local SUBARU mechanic (not that I don't trust him, cause I think I do) that the other mechanic told me the fuel lines were bad and needed to be replaced for a sticker (should've kept my mouth shut). I didn't tell him about the ball joint though, so I wanna see if the SUBARU mechanic catches those same items too, just out've curiosity. I've never felt any shakes or shimmies up front, so I'm a tiny bit suspicious of a bad ball joint, but like I said, if the SUBARU mechanic finds it too I'll believe the other guy.

Then I'll just go where it's CHEAPEST to get my inspection sticker! You want the money you give me the best deal! I tend to think this will (hopefully) be with my local SUBARU mechanic.

The only reason I didn't get my tires (in the past) with my local SUBARU mechanic is that the other mechanic (who specializes in tires) has FREE flat repair and rotations and my SUBARU mech. doesn't.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I was told by a local mechanic (where I bought my tires) that I need to replace my fuel lines as they are "rusted" before I can get an inspection sticker. The guy said "I'm surprised you won't lose your brakes if you step hard on the brakes!", which to me sounds a little stupid.
Is it the fuel line or the brake lines that is/are rusted (corroded). If a corroded brake line fails, then you will lose your brakes.

Ask me how I know... :icon_redface:

However, while I've had inspectors check brake pad thickness as well as general brake operation, I don't recall any of them checking the brake lines.

So, one tire appears to be bad, but what about the other three? If they too will soon need to be replaced, then it's time to do all four tires. Regular rotation will help even the wear until you need yet another new set of tires.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
14 outback auto
342 Posts
The mechanic was probably referring to the brake lines. This is a pretty serious problem

Apparently not applicable to foresters but interesting anyway.

Subaru is recalling about 200,000 Legacy and Outback all-wheel-drive vehicles in the United States and Canada because the brake lines can rust and leak fluid.The cars were made between December of 2003 and April of 2009. In addition to Canada, they were sold or are registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia, according to the documents.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Premium Automatic
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone. Sorry, Yes, I meant "brake lines" and accidently titled the thread "fuel lines". The inspection station said they're rusty and need to be changed. They quoted me $560 I think, including the front left ball joint.

P.S. So I wonder why they're not recalling Foresters also? Mine is a 2003 and has rusted brake lines.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Sorry, Yes, I meant "brake lines" and accidently titled the thread "fuel lines".
Fixed!

I suspect the Legacys and Outbacks recalled in the North American market were manufactured at Subaru's SIA plant in Lafayette Indiana. All Foresters are built at Fuji Heavy Industries' plant in Ota, Gunma, Japan.

Different processes, materials, and/or finishes? Different failure modes and/or rates? Poor QC at the SIA plant?

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts