Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to do the 30k service for my Forester at the Subaru dealer, because I wanted it to be done properly and I also wanted to remove the 1-way fuel tank valve (as recalled by Subaru). I had to pick the car after hours, so I was not able to talk to the technician at that time. I had a chance, however, to speak with him earlier over a phone and he said that everything is OK and he is doing all the required procedures for the 30k maintenance.
When I brought the car home and red the paperwork, I found that they discovered that the break fluid was "dirty and breaking down" and they "recommended' to exchange" it. It also says that this service is optional (extra $118) and that it was "declined".
As far as I know (from here), the 30k service include bunch of inspections, plus replacement of:
1. Engine oil/filter
2. Engine coolant
3. Air filter
4. Spark Plugs
5. Brake fluid

I have paid $520 for this service. They actually did 1-4 and also replaced PCV valve, serviced transmission and front/rear differentials, balanced tires. But they did not replace the brake fluid. :evilatyou:

I believe it is necessary to do! Should I go back and ask them to replace it? I am sure they will ask to pay $118 more, but I was sure it was included in the "30k service".

Any suggestions? :icon_question:

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,873 Posts
Over the summer my '07 FSXT & my son's '03X were serviced at my trusted dealership. They changed the brake fluid in the '03 (27K miles), but not on my '07 (21K miles). I suspect it has to do more with the age of the brake fluid, than the miles on the vehicle. They did a complete pressure flush with Valvoline synthetic brake fluid. The total cost was a bit over $111, with the brake fluid costing around $20. :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2008 OBXT
101 Posts
Double check the work order (that you signed before they started working on the car), it may list all the work that they are going to perform for the 30K service. If it's not listed, you can always just ask for a list of what's included in their 30K service, which may differ from dealer to dealer.
If brake fluid flush is included on the list, then you're golden; if not, you can always try to argue that Subaru mandates it as part of the service and you shouldn't have to pay extra for it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double check the work order (that you signed before they started working on the car), it may list all the work that they are going to perform for the 30K service. If it's not listed, you can always just ask for a list of what's included in their 30K service, which may differ from dealer to dealer.
If brake fluid flush is included on the list, then you're golden; if not, you can always try to argue that Subaru mandates it as part of the service and you shouldn't have to pay extra for it.
BioDoc, this is a good suggestion. However, I didn't get any list of work to sign prior to the service. However, I printed out the *Dealer Maintenance Schedule* (for this particular dealer) from mysubaru.com, and it include the brake fluid exchange:

Maintenance Details
Interval: 30000 miles / 30 month service
Action Description
Recommended Inspection Fuel systems, lines and connections
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires
Replace Spark plugs

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called to my dealership and they said that they don't exchange the brake fluid unless it is needed. However, because it was recommended to replace it in my car, they will do it for free. :banana:
This dealership has a very good reputation, so this is why I don't mind driving 20 miles to them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2.5X Sleeper - if your dealer used DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid, they didn't do you any favors. DOT 5 and DOT 4 fluids are not compatible, and it's practically impossible to get all the DOT 4 out of the system.

zzyzzx - are you bleeding out the secondary circuits of the ABS unit when you're doing your flush procedure? If not, there's still old fluid in your system.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X AT
4,235 Posts
Antonio,
It sounds like you caught your dealer with their pants down. On one hand they state that the fluid is "breaking down" and that you declined the service, and on the other hand say that they only change it when they find the fluid is dirty. So which is it?

I am a firm believer that the dealer service intervals are a joke.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,873 Posts
2.5X Sleeper - if your dealer used DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid, they didn't do you any favors. DOT 5 and DOT 4 fluids are not compatible, and it's practically impossible to get all the DOT 4 out of the system.

zzyzzx - are you bleeding out the secondary circuits of the ABS unit when you're doing your flush procedure? If not, there's still old fluid in your system.
The brake fluid change was done at my Subaru dealership. As I wrote, it included a "full" power flush of the system. I have been going to this dealership for many years & I trust them completely. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
2.5X Sleeper - if your dealer used DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid, they didn't do you any favors. .
I highly doubt they used DOT5. While its great at the track, its terrible for street use - it aborbs water quickly. I can't see a dealership doing this unless instructed.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Antonio,
It sounds like you caught your dealer with their pants down. On one hand they state that the fluid is "breaking down" and that you declined the service, and on the other hand say that they only change it when they find the fluid is dirty. So which is it?
I am a firm believer that the dealer service intervals are a joke.
The problem was that I was not there during the service, so I definitely did not decline the brake fluid exchange. Their point was that they do not exchange it if it looks OK, but they documented that it was dirty. I think there is no logic. As for spark plugs, I believe my old plugs were still fine and will be fine for another 30k, but they replaced them. So there is no logic.
The good thing is that they finally agreed to replace the brake fluid. I wish I could do it all myself, but I live in apartment and have no garage or another place.

·
Registered
2006 Forester X Premium
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, I would not do it at 30k, unless there would be any indication that there is something wrong with them.
Now I think it is a good idea to itemize the services you want do perform, rather than choosing '30k service' package.
I've got new spark plugs #22401AA65A, which I believe the same as original NGK FR5AP-11 plugs.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
I used ATE SuperBlue Dot4 brake fluid in both my XT's & in my XT's clutch.I like it a lot plus next time I do a flush I will use Gold color fluid so I know I got all the old blue stuff out.

joe r

1 - 17 of 17 Posts