Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed some brake hydraulic parts and now need to bleed them. I'd like to bleed abs also. Do I have the car running for this? Or what procedure do I take to bleed all four wheels and abs system? Thanks,

fish

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,537 Posts
Since your vehicle is a 2002, there is not "special" bleeding ABS procedure. Just bleed at each wheel as normal.

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
does the abs unit bleed too with regular procedure??
Yes. Think of the ABS unit as a shut off valve. Each brake hydraulic line runs from the master cylinder to a separate port on the ABS unit and then direct to the specific brake caliper/wheel cylinder. When the ABS unit senses a wheel not turning it momentarily closes the fluid flow to that specific brake.

·
Administrator
15,071 Posts
The bleed sequence for an MY'03 begins at the wheel closest to the master cylinder / ABS:
Brake fluid replacement sequence; (A) Front right → (B) Rear left → (C) Front left → (D) Rear right.

Wouldn't hurt to follow this sequence for a 2002 but adjust if your ABS is in a different location.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,896 Posts
If you have new parts you also have LOTS of air in the lines.
I'd suggest you use a vacuum pump so you don't spend the rest of your life pumping the brake pedal.
They are inexpensive and will save you a lot of time and aggravation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts