1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have a 04 XS with rotors on all 4.

What is the size of the tubing, either ID or OD that I need to bleed the brakes?

I am replacing the front rotors and pads to night and forgot to check last time I was under there.

Thanks for the help.

Tim

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,054 Posts
It's about 1/4" ID or so, you can just use some washer fluid type hose. I like to use a one man bleeder but still use a helper. It just makes for a less messy event. Brake fluid is pretty nasty stuff and you don't want to get it on your paint or anything else for that matter. You can usually find them pretty cheap in a car parts store:

They usually look something like this:

brake bleeder

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,735 Posts
Man I really need to stop by harbor freight sometime soon. So much neat stuff!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,975 Posts
You could try Speed Bleeders, available from Oakos. A lot of us have used them. They're replacements for the stock bleed screw and have a one-way valve inside that operates when you loosen them just a bit. This can make it a one-person operation, and even if you do it with two (a bit easier) the 'Push, tighten, let go, loosen, repeat till done' sequence becomes simply 'Push, let go, repeat till done.'

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
^^ THIS !

I put these on last year and they make maitenance after track days a breeze. I put a 6ft length of wiper washer hose from the autoparts store and run it into a 2 gallon jug to collect all the used up brake fluid. I can bleed all 4 corners in 5 minutes flat easy.

·
Registered
06 Forester
115 Posts
They usually look something like this: [url=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37201&xcamp=google&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=cpc&zmam=13262200&zmas=12&zmac=112&zmap=37201 said:
brake bleeder[/url]
The tube shown in this picture is exactly the one you need, no extenssions needed. I have this exact piece and did my fluid change 2 weeks ago.

The question i have is, how is it possible to do "one man" brake job with the kit above. I don't think this has a "one way valve" and you can just stick the container to some metal part and start pumping the brakes as your will get air inside as soon as you release your brake bedal. :confused:

I had to use a helper in order to do the flush with this particualr bottle and hose.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
^^ Just get speedbleeders and be done with it. They are one way valves, I think its a ballbearing type that only lets air/fluid travel out, not in. Trust me, they just work and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
One thing I do if I take the system apart and have to bleed it is to remove the bleeder screws and wrap them with "thin" Teflon tape. This keeps the fluid from seeping out through the threads when you bleed the system if using a "one-man" hose with a check valve.

Now, those bleeder screws with built-in check valve look very nice ... have to try and pick me up a set before the next time I have to bleed. I would be a little concerned about corrosion. Does anyone know if they are all stainless parts: body, spring, and check ball?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,759 Posts
Does anyone know if they are all stainless parts: body, spring, and check ball?
check with me in a month or two when the weather's nicer and I bleed them again. This will be Canadian winter 2x on them. They were perfectly fine after last winter.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the website, they said Stainless Steel.

Next time I bleed, next year, I am doing this.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
I use 3/16" ID tubing and run it into a quart plastic bottle with a hole in the cap for the hose to go. Wife presses the brakes.

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
Anyone else try the motive speed bleeder? Thinking of picking one of those up. How is it compared to the speed bleeders. Can anyone tell me the step by step process for speed bleeders?

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,975 Posts
Step by step:
  1. Lay in an appropriate supply of brake fluid
  2. Be sure that you understand the bleed sequence: RF, LR, LF, RR
  3. Remove the bleed screw from the first set of brakes and replace with a Speed Bleeder. Screw it in almost tight.
  4. Attach a clear tube and put the other end in a bottle.
  5. First time through, pump brakes till the reservoir is almost empty. If fluid isn't flowing through the tube, loosen Speed Bleeder a bit more. (Alternatively, suck most of the fluid out with a turkey baster. Don't tell wife!)
  6. Fill reservoir with new fluid.
  7. Continue pumping till new fluid starts to appear in the tube and is without bubbles.
  8. Tighten Speed Bleeder.
  9. Repeat for the other three sets of brakes. Be sure never to let the reservoir get empty, or you might get air in the system and have to start over.
Here are a couple of things that can make it easier:
Even though you have Speed Bleeders, it's still much easier if you have an assistant to do the pumping. This makes it a lot easier for you to determine when the new fluid has arrived.

Although there's normally an observable color change between old fluid (dirty) and new fluid (clean), it's even easier to tell the difference if you swap back and forth between ATE Blue and ATE Gold fluids.​

·
Registered
2005 Forester
21 Posts
hose size 3/16"

3/16 inner diameter

I used aquarium airline tubing. perfect size. nice and soft so easy to fit over bleeder screw. $1.99 for 8 ft at any major pet store.

I used about 600ml of fluid. Could do it with 500ml but it can be hard to see the color change so I bled out a bit extra to be safe. Buy the 1L. Only a couple bucks more and you'll know for sure when all the old fluid is gone.

Don't bother with the hardware store hoses. They're 3x more expensive and way too high quality for something you'll just throw away. Don't reuse the hose. Brake fluid is nasty stuff.

·
Registered
2007 LL Bean Forester AT
24 Posts
I had planned on just gettting a shop to do this but it sounds pretty easy.. I have a question.. when you say sequence .. is that RF, FR, LF, RR as you are looking at the vehicle or sitting in the vehicle..? Does that make sense?

Step by step:
  1. Lay in an appropriate supply of brake fluid
  2. Be sure that you understand the bleed sequence: RF, LR, LF, RR
  3. Remove the bleed screw from the first set of brakes and replace with a Speed Bleeder. Screw it in almost tight.
  4. Attach a clear tube and put the other end in a bottle.
  5. First time through, pump brakes till the reservoir is almost empty. If fluid isn't flowing through the tube, loosen Speed Bleeder a bit more. (Alternatively, suck most of the fluid out with a turkey baster. Don't tell wife!)
  6. Fill reservoir with new fluid.
  7. Continue pumping till new fluid starts to appear in the tube and is without bubbles.
  8. Tighten Speed Bleeder.
  9. Repeat for the other three sets of brakes. Be sure never to let the reservoir get empty, or you might get air in the system and have to start over.
Here are a couple of things that can make it easier:
Even though you have Speed Bleeders, it's still much easier if you have an assistant to do the pumping. This makes it a lot easier for you to determine when the new fluid has arrived.

Although there's normally an observable color change between old fluid (dirty) and new fluid (clean), it's even easier to tell the difference if you swap back and forth between ATE Blue and ATE Gold fluids.​

·
Registered
2004 XT
825 Posts
10 mm in the front and 8mm in the rear IIRC....

and i used a 1/4" ID tube and it fit okay for the first caliper, but horrible for the second, third and fourth!! as soon as the end got wet with fluid, the hose slipped right off the nipple and then created a gap between the nipple and the end of the hose

soo try and get a 3/16" ID hose so it will fit better

PS: motive bleeder ROCKS!!! 30 mins first time bleeder. that includes the clean up from the bigger hose too

1 - 19 of 19 Posts