Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Your car scares the piss out of me." - Tim Bailey

On February 2010 I purchased the car I have been lusting over for four years....then I blew the turbo and engine due to the previous owner not being honest about the condition of the car. :yell:

Break it? TIME TO UPGRADE!

Current Mods:
Brand new STI shortblock (EJ257)
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
VF48 Turbo
STI top mounted intercooler
COBB 3" downpipe
Borla Hush 3" cat-back exhaust
COBB short ram intake
TGV delete / ported and polished
APS Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Exedy Stage 1 Organic Clutch
STI Flywheel
COBB Accessport 2
Prosport Boost Gauge (broken at the moment)
COBB short shifter, knob, and KartBoy bushings
Lead foot

Planned Mods (ordered by priority):
Deatschwerks Injectors (740cc?)
COBB sway bars
In-dash computer of some sort. Currently looking at using my Mini 9 and a 2 din touch screen.
17-18" wheels for the warmer months and street driving
TEIN coilovers and electric stiffness adjuster thingy (eventually) might go with adjustable air suspension instead

Feel free to post any comments or recommendations!

UPDATES:

8/12/2010: 2222 Miles on the new block and I got it dynoed by Surgeline Tuning in PDX.

DYNO INFO
Ambient Temp: 83 °F Daily Average
Elevation: Approximately Sea Level
Weather: Indoor

2004 Subaru Forester XT
Tuner: Tim Bailey
Dyno Info: Mustang AWD-500
Peak HP at RPM: 225 [email protected]
Peak Torque at RPM: 245 [email protected]
Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: 2010 STi: 239 WTQ, 228 WHP
Target Boost: 15 PSI
Target AFR: 11.5:1
Fuel: Pump 92 Octane

Engine/Power Modifications:
- COBB Tuning AccessPORT
- VF48
- STI intercooler
- COBB Tuning Downpipe
- COBB Tuning Intake
- APS Turbo Inlet
- TGV Delete
- Catless Up Pipe
- Stock Catback

Tune #2
Added mods:
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Walbro 255 Fuelpump
Borla Hush 3" catback

Latest dyno graph compared to previous tune:

The mods chosen for this car were largely inspired by this thread: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/
THANKS SUBARUFORESTER.ORG FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

STI power in a Forester? Yep. Here's me vs a 100% stock 2011 STI and a Stage 1 2011 STI on the same dyno:

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts
Nice start to your Member Journal! I'll be looking forward to the pictures. :cool:

I spent over a year looking for an '04 XT, since I like the earlier styling. After looking for what seemed like forever, I'd pretty much given up. Ian, Arthrogrian19 here on the forum, found one for me! It's not an '04 XT, but close enough. :biggrin:

One suggestion I'd offer, before you get too far along, is start a "Table of Contents". As your Member Journal grows, it's the only way for you & the viewers to find specific posts. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,535 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Good start to your journal, Brad! :Banane17: I'm kinda jealous that you're getting a new short block!!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good start to your journal, Brad! :Banane17: I'm kinda jealous that you're getting a new short block!!!:biggrin:
Heh, I wish I didn't have to. Looking around, used shortblocks were going for about the same price. I could have opted to get one with some better internals but who knows the build quality and it would be without any warranty. :icon_confused:

I just wish It wasn't costing me $5500 to do all this work. Oh well. I had originally planned on buying a new 2010 FXT Premium for $26,000 (12 miles on it!!!) but I backed down. The new leather in the Foresters kinda sucks in my opinion. I feel like I would rip it the first day I had it.

Anyway, I get the car back next Tuesday or Wednesday. My protune is scheduled for July 13th at Surgeline. Between now and then I have to put 1000 miles on it to break in the engine. I'm thinking road trip and tons of photos! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
Just bought a Borla Hush cat-back and a Grimmspeed boost controller!

Scheduling a tune for in a week. I'm hoping for 280whp/360wtq. CAN'T WAIT!
have you upgraded the fueling at all?? Maybe I missed where you said you got them and put them on and what not.

thats a pretty big turbo for the stock forester parts... just saying.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
have you upgraded the fueling at all?? Maybe I missed where you said you got them and put them on and what not.

thats a pretty big turbo for the stock forester parts... just saying.
I have a Walbro 255 pump going on. I talked to my tuner and they said bigger injectors wouldn't be necessary for this turbo.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Manual
279 Posts
I'd recommend bigger injectors as well.

I've hit 102% IDC on my car with an sti fuel pump and stock injectors.

My car is modded as follows:
vf-39
sti tmic
catless up-pipe
cobb catted dp
bosal 3in cat back
stg 2 base map

If you've got the money either spend it now or spend it later.
I'd do it now since you getting tuned anyway.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
STi turbo = too big for stock forester parts? lol.
I was talking to my mechanic todays ago and he was telling me how he just did an injector swap on a VF39'd ej205. He said that almost always when you are dealing with larger turbos that its worthwhile just to upgrade fueling.

I guess its to each there own on this one, I don't know enough about the tuning and tweaking of these engines to be a judge on the situation, I know i would just do it personally.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts