Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running the COBB Stage 2 on my 05 FXT. Is there any compelling reason to replace the OEM BOV with something else and why?

Thanks?

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Subinator said:
I'm running the COBB Stage 2 on my 05 FXT. Is there any compelling reason to replace the OEM BOV with something else and why?

Thanks?
No, it will make noise but you will lose precious power.

·
Registered
1998 Forester "S" lifted. Bog-o-matic
2,006 Posts
sirwilliam said:
No, it will make noise but you will loose precious power.
Your power will be loose?

If so just tighten it down :tongue:

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,254 Posts
Benrock05201 said:
You'll need the super deluxe cherry blosum red tie down for that. :p

Ben
Don't forget to use some JDM STi anti-sneeze with an after market BOV.;-)

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I unnecessarily replaced a blowoff valve on my eclipse after i jacked up the power. After a few months and some idling issues, i put the stocker back on and the car ran much better. Unless you are making ungodly amounts of power and the valve can't hold the boost, I would leave it alone. Your money is better spent on something else.

The blowoff pfffft, is pretty damn cool though.

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I suspected. I can always use the funds for some cool sway bars.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
With a stage 2 upgrade probably not. If you do however, make sure you buy a hybrid valve that allows a certain amount of air to be recirculated as well as vented to atmosphere. I've heard good things about the GoFastBits Hybrid valve and StealthFX valve for subarus.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Quick question, Why would an aftermarket BOV = power loss with the stock turbo? I have a HKS SS BOV (left over WRX part) & I was planning on putting it on my fxt along with an intercooler & turbo upgrade. I don't want to use the HKS SS BOV if it means I would have any power loss no matter how cool it sounds. Any input is appreciated, Thanks Ian

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
I don't think you'll lose any power, but the drivabillity of the car could be negatively affected. Just the way it ran, smoothness on/off throttle etc. Maybe some long-term effects? I could be wrong though...

The way I see it, it definitely isn't going to improve anything and can actually be detrimental, so why bother. Put that valve on ebay and use the loot to buy something else. I just sold the HKS racing bypass valve I had on my old Eclipse on ebay.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
IanN said:
Quick question, Why would an aftermarket BOV = power loss with the stock turbo? I have a HKS SS BOV (left over WRX part) & I was planning on putting it on my fxt along with an intercooler & turbo upgrade. I don't want to use the HKS SS BOV if it means I would have any power loss no matter how cool it sounds. Any input is appreciated, Thanks Ian
Basically, you're releasing air to atmosphere that has already been measured by the mass air sensor; consequently the ECU will send the wrong amount of fuel into the combustion chamber, causing the engine to temporarily run extremely rich. Not only can this cause bucking and hesitation, but in the long run it can also do some damage to your spark plugs or cats. Here's a good read on BOV's vs. recirc valves.

If you want the noise, just get a short ram intake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the interesting information, Looks like the if it ain't broke don't fix motto is the best way to go with this one. no sense in screwing up parts that work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
its funny how hardly any of u guys in the US run aftermarket BOV's and yet just about every single guy over here just has to have that sound. no matter how it effects the driveability. it would be a lot of ppl's first mods...crazy

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
oxymoron said:
its funny how hardly any of u guys in the US run aftermarket BOV's and yet just about every single guy over here just has to have that sound. no matter how it effects the driveability. it would be a lot of ppl's first mods...crazy
Maybe not among the FXT owners, but if you look around in the WRX/STi scene here in the US, you will find that BOV's are extremely popular.

·
Registered
2005 FXT/AT
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is there any reason to change out the OEM Recirc valve (BOV) for something more efficient?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts