Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5-speed MT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

We're going to spend a week in Boulder after Christmas. I tried to rent a Subie at the airport but no Subies are listed by any of the major rental companies, and in fact no SUVs are available either, for that week. So, will it be OK getting around in a 2wd rental? We're planning on renting a house which is up Sunshine Canyon, 4.5 miles from Boulder and 1/3 mile from the end of the pavement". I expect snow levels and road conditions can vary wildly that early in the season, but can someone give me an idea of what to expect? I'm from sunny California but have a fair amount of High Sierra snow driving experience, but for teh last 20 years I've been spoiled by 4wd. Also, I'm used to draconian California chain laws.

Would I have a better chance renting a Subaru or other 4wd in Boulder rather than the airport?

Thanks - dman

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
Sunshine is somewhere you WILL want AWD especially if that's what you are used to driving. I would try the Boulder Hertz and Enterprise and see if you can find one.
You can most likely make it in a 2wd but depending on where this house is it could be very hard, and there's a chance you will get stuck. The hills are steep on the way up there.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I can recommend all kinds of things

(I know it says sac CA in my info I just moved here from Boulder for school. I'll be there when you are)

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
Sunshine Canyon is fairly steep and twisty, plus it has a lot of shaded areas, so it can be icy and nasty. I would definitely recommend four wheel drive, especially if your house is a ways off the main road.
I have never seen Subies for rent in Boulder anywhere, but it is fairly easy to get a Jeep, but they're expensive. I would go with that if heavy snow is predicted, and it generally is.
Have fun.
You might call SuperRupair. They are a huge repair shop on North Broadway. They might just rent you one.
Have fun.

·
Registered
2004 FXT 5-speed MT
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from our Boulder vacation - I ended up "upgrading" at the Hertz lot at DIA from a 2wd to the only available 4wd's, a choice of Escalade or Infiniti QX56. I chose the Infiniti - what a boat! I didn't really need the 4wd, although it was cold and there was more packed snow on town roads than I would have expected. I did drive down from the Peak-to-Peak Hwy through Gold Hill to Sunshine Canyon on all snow covered roads. I would have loved to have had my FXT (but with snow tires) on THAT road! Boulder's a beautiful place - there were even more Subaru's than in California snow country. Not just the usual late-model stuff, but old Loyale's, SVX, Justy's, and more Tribeca's than I've seen in the last several years.

-dman

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just got back from our Boulder vacation - I ended up "upgrading" at the Hertz lot at DIA from a 2wd to the only available 4wd's, a choice of Escalade or Infiniti QX56. I chose the Infiniti - what a boat! I didn't really need the 4wd, although it was cold and there was more packed snow on town roads than I would have expected. I did drive down from the Peak-to-Peak Hwy through Gold Hill to Sunshine Canyon on all snow covered roads. I would have loved to have had my FXT (but with snow tires) on THAT road! Boulder's a beautiful place - there were even more Subaru's than in California snow country. Not just the usual late-model stuff, but old Loyale's, SVX, Justy's, and more Tribeca's than I've seen in the last several years.

-dman
With all the hills and turns, you won't be able to get back up to your house sometimes unless you get a good running start as a 2WD. :) People in Boulder learn not to cheap out when it comes to AWD/4WD. They're usually the ones to get hit first by the storms, snow and water, at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Some of the hills around residential areas are frightening steep.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts