Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring auto
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a used red 2003 XS from a dealer. I love it except the engine makes a ticking noise on startup and on accleration. It usually goes way after :20 of driving. It sounds like a it could be a fan belt or something else. Is this normal? I took it in for dealer service and they said there is nothing wrong with the car. My wife doesn't believe them because when the car was being serviced we got another 2003 Forester X as a loaner, and that car DID NOT make the ticking noise at startup or at anytime. The dealer Dave keeps telling us the ticking noise has something to do with the oil being recirculated on startup after dropping when the car is idle. Does anyone know anything about this? Are the dealer and Repair Facility full of s#%*? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
My Forester Xt ticks on start-up whenever the temps are below 50 degrees F. When you rev it the ticking speeds-up with the RPM. If you do some searches on Nasioc you will find lots of examples of this. There are some legitimate noise issues related to the cam tensioner, but most of these ticking until warmed-up issues revolve around a noisy lifter, or other engine noises which are exacerbated by cold temps. Mine has been an issue this winter down in NM where temps are rarely below 40 in the mornings. It looks like you are in NY so obviously the cold will be a bigger issue in that locale.

I am not sure about this recirculated oil theory, but when cold the oil is certainly not flowing as well, and the metal-to-metal clearances are going to be greater until the reciprocating parts warm up and expand. Unfortunately I cannot remember one person that has complained about this on a later-model Subaru ever getting resolution by taking it to a dealership. I know thats not what you want to hear, but welcome to the click club!

Btw- Mine has been doing this since late fall, and I have put on about 3500 miles on my car since this ticking began to occur. I don't run my car hard during warm-up, but I do run my car very hard the rest of the time with high rpm speed shifts, etc.... . Nothing broke yet and the problem isn't getting any worse.

Jeff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts