Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
www.bossave.com

They look pretty cheap to me but I'm really tempted. Some of the models have steering controls interfaces GPS, FM with RDS etc...

Does any one have any experience with these?

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
The question I would have is what are they using for their GPS engine ? I can see them selling for $200 since brand names have huge market but who knows if its a POS. The link you provided doesn't show any screens in action. If you get one post up a review, would be a nice cheap alternative for my wife's car if it actually works like a $700 brand name unit.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Reviews seem to suggest the mapping software isn't great, and most of the maps are out of date. Otherwise they seem to be decent units comparable to the lower end brands such as Dual etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most of these units appear to have two major components - a WinCE GPS engine and a DVD engine (which may not be WinCE). The integration between the two is not great from the few online videos and demos that I have seen.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
The Zhuhai unit appears to be the one on eBay for $500-600. Wish someone else would pull the trigger and post a report :)

A WinCE unit could work nicely, IF the software is good. In some respects, it could be nicer than a dedicated unit as it would be more versatile, but you could be left trying to get it to work too.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,760 Posts
Holy carp what a bunch of pop ups on that site .

Coles Notes: Its a scam, they send a POS , tell you to return it then ignore you. You're out money for the unit and returns.

Welcome to Chinese business where ripping off the westerners is considered good business. I used to work for Foreign Affairs and wanted to do some importing myself. A friend had been stationed in China for several years so I picked his brain. He basically said not only is this common place but when a Non-Chinese person turns up at the factory, the price instantly goes up 5x. Oh well, we used them to build the railroads and now its payback.

Back OT, if you want a deck for a cheap price I'd suggest just buying a brand name refurb. At least you know what you're getting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy carp what a bunch of pop ups on that site .

Coles Notes: Its a scam, they send a POS , tell you to return it then ignore you. You're out money for the unit and returns.

Welcome to Chinese business where ripping off the westerners is considered good business. I used to work for Foreign Affairs and wanted to do some importing myself. A friend had been stationed in China for several years so I picked his brain. He basically said not only is this common place but when a Non-Chinese person turns up at the factory, the price instantly goes up 5x. Oh well, we used them to build the railroads and now its payback.

Back OT, if you want a deck for a cheap price I'd suggest just buying a brand name refurb. At least you know what you're getting.
BossAve.com sells OEM (no brand) head units. I don't see anything wrong with this. You can also choose to pay another $500 for the same product but with a shining brand name.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT SH Manual
97 Posts
contacted them via email and a guy phoned me from China to assure me that:" ...we suppry all motor mannufacrurrer and no probrem so no come-buck. You experiarce probrem, you send back for full refund our cost...!" :icon_eek:

Still not very comfortable with it....:shake:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts