Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
06 Forester
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

anybody here have one of these? (Boss Audio BASS600)

it seems to have good reviews and there's a nice deal on amazon right now > Amazon.com: Boss Audio BASS600 8-Inch Low-Profile Amplified Subwoofer (Single): Car Electronics

i believe Elmy (norway) has them and hopefully he'll chime in on how the sub is doing.

and no, i want the bass to stay INSIDE the car and not rattle any windows.. i really dont get people with the annoying systems that just screams out bass and nothing else. I already have the california traffic and poor road conditions to give credit for headaches and dont need anything else added to that, thank you very much :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 Forester S Premium 4EAT
106 Posts
It's been a while since your post, but I feel I owe it to future thread searchers to chime in with my two cents. Today I installed the Boss BASS900- the replacement for the BASS600. It's terrible. Sending it back. I had hoped for just a little more low-end than the stock 80 watt sub, but the stock sub is louder. I tried adjusting the gain, crossover and bass boost settings, but it was still pathetic. Maybe it makes 900 watts of heat, but maybe closer to 9 watts of sound.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
647 Posts
I have the Boss Audio BASS600 installed in our Foz. I opted for it because I had the OEM sub under the seat and well...yeah...I wont discuss that.

Overall impressions after having had it for about a year or so are good. It does keep the bass inside the vehicle. There is no way this little guy could push bass outside the vehicle:icon_wink:

Most importantly this sub is good if you want "bass filler" and the door speakers arent cutting it for you. This thing doesnt thump and it doesnt boom, but it does do a very good job of creating depth within the cabin of the car. Whether we are watching movies, listening to tunes, or PS3'ing, it always performs well.

I love the fact that it has the remote volume (I stashed it in the little coin tray with my Sat radio interface) and that it has quite a few adjustments to get the sound you want.

It fits perfectly under the drivers seat, I have never had an issue with heat. Oh yeah, I blocked off the air ducts under the seat also just to be safe.

Strange that the price has gone up. I paid $99 brand new awhile back and I bought it from Amazon:confused:

jsylvest, thank you for posting your experience. I was considering the 900 as what I thought was an upgrade.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Glad the BASS600 is working for you. I doubt the 900 is an upgrade- same size speaker and box, the size of the box is probably the major limiting factor. I didn't expect the windows to rattle with a box so small, but I expected more than I got out of it. I've decided to do the rear cargo pocket sub install with a 200 (real) watt amp.

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
Anybody fit Boss Bass1200 under the seat? The dimension are pretty close but should fit.

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Boss Audio Under-seat subs... try out the Kenwood KSC-SW10.... now THAT is a decent underseat sub.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
647 Posts
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Boss Audio Under-seat subs... try out the Kenwood KSC-SW10.... now THAT is a decent underseat sub.
How do you like that Kenwood in your Foz? Was it easy to fit under the seat? Is the remote volume too big to fit into a cubby somewhere?
I was thinking about that one too as an upgrade from the 600 series Boss, but it looks like a really tight fit.

Any pics of it installed?

·
Registered
SG9 Forester XT Stick Shift
1,670 Posts
It seems their quality could be spotty. So buy from reputable seller like Amazon that will take it back and even pay for return shipping.

I tried a few under seat sub and most of them are really weak. I tried Clarion and Blaupunk and returned both since they are way too weak for my taste.

I like the idea for powered sub since they are really easy to install and could be removed quickly if needed. Personally have bazooka 10" but they are way too bulky. Also tried VR3 VRA 8" powered sub.They sound really good with CD player but really cause my FM radio to stop working. I guess the Class D amp they use really interfere with radio frequency.

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
647 Posts
I think people have a misconception about these under seat subs. They seem to think they are going to get the boom they hear in other cars in this little package.

Underseat subs, no matter how many watts, still only have 2-4 inches for the woofer to push and are so tightly contained that you will never get a thump out of them. You get depth that exceeds your door or hatch speakers.

If folks are buying these thinking they have an easy route to compete with their buddies stacked amps and 15" subs they are just asking for disappointment

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
866 Posts
How do you like that Kenwood in your Foz? Was it easy to fit under the seat? Is the remote volume too big to fit into a cubby somewhere?
I was thinking about that one too as an upgrade from the 600 series Boss, but it looks like a really tight fit.

Any pics of it installed?
I had it installed for a while... and it does a good job to fill in the low end... but, being a college student... I had to get a bigger sub so I eventually replaced it with an infinity basslink mounted in the trunk, with an interchangeable 2 12" magnum 12" subs, new aftermarket clarion HU, oem tweeters, alpine type S and kicker 07ds600 speakers powered by a 600watt kenwood amp... yup... musical nirvana to my ears :biggrin:

BUT anyways.... There are absolutely no fitment issues with the Kenwood.... It suits the system pretty well, and does a good job with sound when paired with stock speakers and the oem tweeters.... just dont expect to be blown away cuz its not like that of some high end systems you see in those fancy cars... Oh and I just wired the remote and velcro'd it to the side of the central console near the cupholder. You could probably run it to the glove box if you really wanted, since you get plenty of wiring.

I got some pics in my mod journal i believe.... Post 5.... It just shows a shot of the fitment under the driver's seat... still has plenty of room! And another member on here, 2.5x sleeper has it on his... he recommended it to me

AzNFoLife924's Official Mod Journal

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something had to be wrong with the unit itself. I cant imagine anything would sound worse than the OEM sub. I assume you also installed some kind of upgraded wiring, fuse, etc. along the way?
Yeah, used the Boss 8 gauge install kit. Don't get me wrong, it did hum along with some low frequencies, just sounded really weak. The factory sub I'm using is a carry-over from my '95 Legacy wagon, now in my '02 Forester S- uses the same connectors on the T cable. It actualy does thump a little- shakes my rear-view mirror and sounds pretty good (athough, as you said, can't hear it outside of the vehicle- just fills in the lows a little.)

·
Registered
2009 X premium
81 Posts
Hi, new member, bumping an old thread.

Just in case anyone searches like I did and finds this thread.

I just installed over the weekend the BASS600 under the passenger seat. It sounds AWESOME!. It is a huge cheap improvement in the sound. I also installed the tweeter kit.

Paid $65 for the tweeters and $80 for a used sub. I'm blown away by how much better it sounds.

The reason I wanted to post is you can safely ignore the reccomendations on this site about wiring. If you do some searches on other forums you will see this thing does not pull anywhere near the wattage claimed in the marketing materials. It has a 15A fues (the 20A fuse is just a spare and does nothing, I pulled it to be sure). 8 guage wiring is complete overkill. Running to the battery is unecessary.

I used 3 strands of 6 feet of 14 guage wires and RCA plugs. taped them together and routed them behind the stereo, pushed under the center console and out next to the seat. No tools except a screw driver to remove the head unit, a crimping tool and some wire strippers. The sub sites under the pasanger seat. If you were using the stock and not OEM I would just tap the front R and L with vampire clips (red ones) and run those 4 wires with the others.

I did not install the remote (I got it used off ebay without any cables). My HU allows tweaking the sub base settings even swithcing the phase.

The tweeters just pull out by hand and the wire is there.

The whole thing sounds great. Thanks to the forum for helping me decide on this over the OEM sub.

:bacon:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just wanted to add, that I'm glad that you are enjoying the BOSS. I also had the sub installed and thought it was great. I was surprised how much air that little thing could move. However it was short lived and it eventually blew after 4-6 months)

I would like to say that there are so few manufacturers that make a sub like this (believe me I have looked at everything and everywhere) that I am considering buying another one if I can find it under $120.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts