Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used APEXI white faced 60mm mechanical boost gauge over a year ago. Well, I recently noticed that the needle was sitting at 1psi unattached.

This means that I have a nice faulty gauge or is there a way to adjust it?

I guess I could check the boost readings and just see if it is just off by 1 psi which I can live with. I hate to loose the gauge b/c it is one of the better looking boost gauges out there.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT
815 Posts
It reads correctly, I compared using the real time on a COBB AP. The calibration is off on the gauge (when engine is off), but seems to read correct psi. :confused: So, I guess I am not too worried about it. :p

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SkiPhast said:
It reads correctly, I compared using the real time on a COBB AP. The calibration is off on the gauge (when engine is off), but seems to read correct psi. :confused: So, I guess I am not too worried about it. :p
I will have to check it against my AP. Hopefully it isn't buggered.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For under $70, you can get a Mityvac Plus tool that will allow you to check pressure and vacuum, bleed brakes, etc., and determine if your gauge is off. As the company says, every serious mechanic should have one.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester XT MT
1,433 Posts
Mechanical gauges are a PITA to calibrate.

If the boost values are accurate and it just doesn't zero then you are better of leaving it alone. Any zero adjustment would throw off the values at higher pressures.

If the gauge is off by a constant value through the pressure range then you can zero the needle. Some mechanical gauges have an adjustment inside. Or you can pop the needle off and install it at zero. Be careful! The guage is very delicate and this is not a job for hamfists.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,132 Posts
Electronic gauges FTW!

You can do much more with electronic gauges. The peak hold and recording ability some gauges have is much more useful than mech gauges. You can't really be staring too much at the boost gauge while driving hard anyways.

sirwilliam said:
I purchased a used APEXI white faced 60mm mechanical boost gauge over a year ago. Well, I recently noticed that the needle was sitting at 1psi unattached.

This means that I have a nice faulty gauge or is there a way to adjust it?

I guess I could check the boost readings and just see if it is just off by 1 psi which I can live with. I hate to loose the gauge b/c it is one of the better looking boost gauges out there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts