1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.

Going back home to start on my forester on wednesday. :biggrin:
So the first ting will be to mount the STI tmic, Turbo and MBC.
I have 3" from the downpipe, and no cat.
So what I am wondering about is how much boost I can run with just this setup?
Guess it will be a time before my fuel pump comes, and then later the injectors. So I want to save the dyno run and setup/respec until later. :huh:

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I would run on as little boost as possible until after the remap...especially as you risk running lean without sufficient injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
2004 Forester Sti 6 MT
723 Posts
As Northdowns says, the real risk is running lean as either injectors reach their maximum duty cycle and/or the fuel pump cannot maintain fuel flow.

Why not run it at the same boost as your stock system until you get it remapped? That is what I would do until I got around to mapping it.

If you have a tactrix cable or equivalent you can monitor your injector duty but it will not tell you your fuel pump is failing to provide enough flow, the only way of monitoring all that is with an aftermarket wide band lambda sensor to detect the air fuel mix on boost. And if you had all that then you could have a go at mapping it yourself...

Anyhow, how are you changing the boost, are you using a boost controller?

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.
Yes I should get hold of a aftermarket wide band lambda sensor.

And regarding the pressure, I am using a MBC atm.
Well, then I guess I should just wait with upping the boost :icon_cry:
Was kind of hoping I could do a little bit before buying the damn expencive injectors. And I was dumb enough to order a fuel pump from walbropumps.co.uk.
Guess I need to just chill out and be patient for some time then...

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Did you buy an adjustable fuel regulator with gauge?

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you buy an adjustable fuel regulator with gauge?
No I have not, if I have the fuel regulator, can I adjust the fuel to compensate for increased air pressure then?

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then I finally got the vf 29, sti tmic,bov and induction kit fitted :woohoo:
The turbo part was a little trouble but managed with some home made parts :)
Had to make a new adapter at the air in side of the turbo, as the one that was fitted on the vf29 was to long, and restricted.
So now all is working, but the actuator is not closing the exaust valve. (need almost 4000 rpm before the fun starts.. :yell:
Guess I have to chop it and weld some new adjustable stoff on in.

Then I am waiting on the fuel pump. And need to order some injectors aswell.
Have anyone tried:
Injectors Connectors SUBARU GDB WRX STi spec C 600 c.c. on eBay (end time 08-Jun-10 00:34:25 BST)

wonder if I should order those?

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,896 Posts
Well, do you think I could use those injectors without any problems? Since they are so cheap...
:confused:

The 98 S-Turbo comes with side feed injectors as fitted.

The link you posted is for top feed injectors, so unless you've changed the fuel rails they won't fit.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
Well, do you think I could use those injectors without any problems? Since they are so cheap...
You realise of course that those injectors are in Japan, and if you read the small print you will see:
•Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.
•Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
98 s-turbo? s-turbo were only available at 99MY, unless you have a very early registered car or an Import?

Simon

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ahh, ok
Thanks for clearing that out :icon_confused:

So then I am out serching for side feed injectors :biggrin:

550 cc should be enough for around 300 hp right?

I was also wondering why there is such big differense in the prices, its all from 139£ -450£.
(some are without taxes, but anyways)

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Depends if you have 380 or 440 at the mo

If you have 440 I wouldnt bother changing as they will enough for 300

and even if you have 380 its borderline, all in the mapping

G

·
If you have 380 injectors then you can stretch them using an adjustable FPR, you will reach 300 safely with 3.5 bar of pressure..

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,787 Posts
Thought so

Max I have seen on fuel duty is 95% / 98% ish with 440 inj

The adjustable FPR with gauge was worth it IMHO

·
Registered
1999 S turbo
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right.
Sorry to be asking all these questions, but I am a totally noob to the turbo stuff. And tuning aswell tbh :cool:

How do I find out what injectors I have?

I also brought a MBC. But I have heard that they can be a bit tricky and un reliable, so I have not mounted it. Running standard 0.6 pressure atm.

So I have mounted the vf 29 turbo, sti tmic with bov,induction kit, oil pressure and temp gauge and boost gauge. There is also mounted a cat back exhaust, but not a down or up pipe. And the fuel pump is (hopefully) on the way.

So I am wondering what shall be the next thing to do.
What needs to be done before, say increase the boost to 0.8?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts