Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
401 - 420 of 448 Posts
Man. Everything about this thread is amazing. I love the photos, the ride, the adventures, and all the feedback/responses. Keep it up! I am considering running the same wheel dimension and tires as you. Not sure if I will get away with stock height though.
Subooneru's thread is the most inspiring of all things Forester to me. Subaru themselves aren't as good. He should create a book... I'll buy it.

The only downside is that it makes me wistful for places that are beyond me... then I realize some of that is my fault, for not taking more advantage of what IS available to me, here. That is going to change. Subooneru opens wider my imagination's door... to what I can do, easing away thoughts of what I cannot.

Looking at maps I see opportunities for the future before me. These beautiful pictures and peaceful thoughts are my postcards.

Subooneru's thread is the most inspiring of all things Forester to me. Subaru themselves aren't as good. He should create a book... I'll buy it.

The only downside is that it makes me wistful for places that are beyond me... then I realize some of that is my fault, for not taking more advantage of what IS available to me, here. That is going to change. Subooneru opens wider my imagination's door... to what I can do, easing away thoughts of what I cannot.

Looking at maps I see opportunities for the future before me. These beautiful pictures and peaceful thoughts are my postcards.
Truth! I have contemplated moving up north from all his adventures!

^Good question! My Hankooks are about in need of replacement after ~50K miles and I'm going to get them again and was considering going up to the 245's. I think it will be pretty close to hitting the strut perch, but just might clear. I've decided that even if it does clear it's not worth it to me to go a size up though.

Only gains from going up to the 245 are a little more lift and more aggressive appearance. The negatives are there will definitely be more frequent rubbing on the fender liner and factory mudflaps if you have them. There will be more loss of MPG's and performance with the added weight and diameter. Handling probably won't be as good. Could be harder on the CVT. Snow will build up in the wheel well more easily, which could cause the vehicle to struggle and lose traction.

've been really happy with the 235's so don't want to be greedy and push it to where I create problems. I hope somebody does try 245/65 17 though. I know the Outback guys are running that size in the BFG K02 and I've heard they run small, so those could fit I think. Super heavy though and will definitely sap performance.

@SuBooneru I'm currently running 245/65 17's on My FXT. Wheels are Method Rally 502's Bronze 17x8 w/ a +38mm offset. Tires are Geolander A/T-S. Suspension is stock. The only issue I've had is rubbing on my mudflap bolt heads. Mudflaps are Rally Armor. This only happens on tight turns/switch backs if I'm carrying some decent weight from cargo. Usually involves a Yakima hitch tray w/ a 31lb bike, camping gear, food, and baby related stuff (baby carrier, collapsible porta crib). I'm going to guess it's probably close to 200lbs of stuff. Plus another person, and a baby. I have a friend who does a lot of fender rolling. I'm thinking that I may just roll that part of the wheel well to create more clearance in the above scenarios.

@SuBooneru I'm currently running 245/65 17's on My FXT. Wheels are Method Rally 502's Bronze 17x8 w/ a +38mm offset. Tires are Geolander A/T-S. Suspension is stock. The only issue I've had is rubbing on my mudflap bolt heads. Mudflaps are Rally Armor. This only happens on tight turns/switch backs if I'm carrying some decent weight from cargo. Usually involves a Yakima hitch tray w/ a 31lb bike, camping gear, food, and baby related stuff (baby carrier, collapsible porta crib). I'm going to guess it's probably close to 200lbs of stuff. Plus another person, and a baby. I have a friend who does a lot of fender rolling. I'm thinking that I may just roll that part of the wheel well to create more clearance in the above scenarios.
Any photos?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #406 ·
Man. Everything about this thread is amazing. I love the photos, the ride, the adventures, and all the feedback/responses. Keep it up! I am considering running the same wheel dimension and tires as you. Not sure if I will get away with stock height though.
Glad you enjoy it, thank you very much! You can get away with running the same size in stock height. The lift actually didn't improve any of the rubbing. You will rub a little bit on the fender liner either way.

Thank you for the kind words sir!
Absolutely love this photo!
I've only ran the OEM mudflaps since I got the lift and AT tires and I only really got rubbing on the rears when I was loaded up and or got the suspension really compressed from a big bump in the road or something. Still only minor rubbing. But yeah seems like you could maybe do something to push that part of the wheel well in or just ditch the aftermarket flaps. I used to have Rockblocks when I had a more street oriented setup with wider tires to protect from chips, but honestly I'm not really a fan of the mudflap look especially with lifted subarus and AT tires.

Glad you enjoy it, thank you very much! You can get away with running the same size in stock height. The lift actually didn't improve any of the rubbing. You will rub a little bit on the fender liner either way.

Thank you for the kind words sir!

I've only ran the OEM mudflaps since I got the lift and AT tires and I only really got rubbing on the rears when I was loaded up and or got the suspension really compressed from a big bump in the road or something. Still only minor rubbing. But yeah seems like you could maybe do something to push that part of the wheel well in or just ditch the aftermarket flaps. I used to have Rockblocks when I had a more street oriented setup with wider tires to protect from chips, but honestly I'm not really a fan of the mudflap look especially with lifted subarus and AT tires.
[emoji106] I had them installed recently. Looks super rugged. Hankook should pay you because I chose them because of your thread lol

Any photos?

My car is currently dirty from snow. Here are a few older 16' summer shots from my current set up. Had to throw my little "Thug Chocolate" in the mix too. Stumbled upon it during that same time lol!

Attachments

Rally Armor Mudflaps are there. The photo angles make it difficult to tell at a casual glance. I almost bet you get more tire clearance with those mud flaps, and the OEM's removed. Don't quote me on that though. I may start my own thread on my progress after my chrome is wrapped completely. Front is done. Window trim is not. Shhhh...it I'll just make a thread...
@SuBooneru Nice pics! Looks great. Not to mention the thought of those moments I can relate too.

Holy moly I just went thru 3+ years of your life with your FXT! SO DAMN AMAZING! I miss Nor Cal so much :( although i'm not from there but used to go there so frequently i felt like it was my second home. Your adventures showed me theres much more to explore!

I need to get the FXT out into the wilderness! well after my second kid is born... and then we are off into the woods!

S. Cali has it's share but it'll never compare to Nor Cal's back country.

I need to show my wife this and get her pumped and start planning our camping trips again.

Discussion starter · #413 ·
Holy moly I just went thru 3+ years of your life with your FXT! SO DAMN AMAZING! I miss Nor Cal so much :( although i'm not from there but used to go there so frequently i felt like it was my second home. Your adventures showed me theres much more to explore!

I need to get the FXT out into the wilderness! well after my second kid is born... and then we are off into the woods!

S. Cali has it's share but it'll never compare to Nor Cal's back country.

I need to show my wife this and get her pumped and start planning our camping trips again.
Haha thanks! Glad I could help motivate you to get out there and explore more. Happy trails!
How did you mount the flexible light strip and where did you run the wiring? Did you hide the wiring or is it exposed?
I don't have that LED strip in there anymore. I will spare you the details for now as I honestly don't recommend it and or my placement, partially because the adhesive stopped working once it got too hot and the light was kind of blinding where I put it. It has been replaced with a lift gate light from OLM, which provides a ton of useful light and is in a better location on the rear hatch. Here's the link for that product and the how to install video on that page: OLM JDM Precision LED Lift Gate Light - 2014+ Forester - Lighting - 2014+ Forester

Discussion starter · #414 ·
Made a level sleeping area for camping/road trips when I don't want to set up and take down a tent. Perfect for late night arrivals at trailheads, camping in stormy weather or quick overnight stayovers.

This setup can comfortably sleep 2 people up to about 6.5 feet tall and now I can fit my full size spare, that was previously on the roof, deflated where the OEM donut was. There's still room to store the factory jack, air compressor, recovery gear, and other tools. Also built a bonus pull out table for cooking and bar purposes.

The legs for the table are adjustable hiking poles, so it's simple and I don't have to be parked on a perfectly level surface for it to work. The rear OLM hatch LED light pairs nicely with this setup. Lights up the cooking area and all around, so no need for lantern or headlamp. Maybe I don't need a pickup truck afterall:
20170304_170807 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

20170304_172246 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

20170304_171713 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

20170304_172408 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

20170307_134512 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

DSC03186 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

DSC03188 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

DSC03200 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

Wow. I was going to be pulling my spare tire since I have a full size in my basket and in its place build in a equipment/tools/subwoofer setup with a sturdy top for use as a sleeping platform. I hope you dont mind, this is such an awesome idea, Ill be stealing it and implementing it into my build! I was a bit iffy on the OLM light originally but it does work really well for the setup. Do you find that it throws light into the hatch area as well? Im sure anything is better than stock, even if its a little bit

Rally Armor Mudflaps are there. The photo angles make it difficult to tell at a casual glance. I almost bet you get more tire clearance with those mud flaps, and the OEM's removed. Don't quote me on that though.
With OEM and Rally flaps, there is not that much difference actually.

In the Front, the tires rub the front fender liner first, and only hit the flaps if you are compressing a good amount while turned at about 15-20 degrees or so. Where the tire is protruding the most towards the flap.

In the rear, I cant say. I have rubbed before, wether it's the fender walls or flaps I am unsure. Only when Ive hit a bad bump with 3 people and gear or 750lbs of flooring :p

Discussion starter · #416 ·
Wow. I was going to be pulling my spare tire since I have a full size in my basket and in its place build in a equipment/tools/subwoofer setup with a sturdy top for use as a sleeping platform. I hope you dont mind, this is such an awesome idea, Ill be stealing it and implementing it into my build! I was a bit iffy on the OLM light originally but it does work really well for the setup. Do you find that it throws light into the hatch area as well? Im sure anything is better than stock, even if its a little bit
Haha thanks! Steal away. I pretty much stole a bunch of different ideas from other peoples builds to make my setup. The OLM light throws a ton of light into the hatch area too. Way better than the stock light. You can block it a little bit sometimes with your head when looking for stuff, but then you just move slightly to one side or the other.

Hey SuBooneru thanks for answering my questions the other day. I didn't see you had a thread or I would have just asked here. Anyway just wanted your opinion on a few things. I will be going the same or similar route as you with the AT tires. I'm leaning towards the hankook dynapros 235/65/r17s but also considering the geolandars 225/65/r17 or the
cooper at3 235/60/r17. How do you think the geos or coopers would look in comparison to the hankooks, they are slightly smaller but would it be a noticeable difference? I'm also wondering what offset would be my limit. I really like the MR501s but they are +42 offset. Would this be a problem?

I love what you've done with the level sleeping area and storage for the spare. Was it difficult/expensive? I really like those dynapros but would also love it if I didn't have to put the spare on the roof so I can instead put a titan rod vault up there.

Discussion starter · #419 ·
Hey SuBooneru thanks for answering my questions the other day. I didn't see you had a thread or I would have just asked here. Anyway just wanted your opinion on a few things. I will be going the same or similar route as you with the AT tires. I'm leaning towards the hankook dynapros 235/65/r17s but also considering the geolandars 225/65/r17 or the
cooper at3 235/60/r17. How do you think the geos or coopers would look in comparison to the hankooks, they are slightly smaller but would it be a noticeable difference? I'm also wondering what offset would be my limit. I really like the MR501s but they are +42 offset. Would this be a problem?

I love what you've done with the level sleeping area and storage for the spare. Was it difficult/expensive? I really like those dynapros but would also love it if I didn't have to put the spare on the roof so I can instead put a titan rod vault up there.
No problem! I was thinking of maybe just referring you to my thread haha. I don't think the Geos or Coopers will look that much different size wize, since the're basically just a size smaller. With either of those tires in that size you should be ok with those +42 offset wheels. It will look a little less aggressive than my setup being the wheels are pushed in more and tires a size smaller, but really just talking like fractions of an inch. Good thing too is that you probably will rub less than me and probably not at all.

I just was trying to squeeze every amount of lift and width on mine with the 235/65 17, wanted the looks of the biggest tire size possible, liked the looks of the tread and sidewall on on the Hankooks and they are better reviewed for snow than the other Geo or Coops. I'm not sure what model Geolanders you are thinking of getting, but hopefully you are talking about the new G015 because I think they are more rugged and better in snow than previous models. Not sure how the Coopers and them compare though.

As far as the sleeping area setup, it wasn't expensive at all for me, since I used scrap wood that my parents had leftover from construction projects. Even if you have to buy the wood it shouldn't be very expensive at all, so I'd definitely recommend building something like it if you camp a good amount and want to avoid setting up a tent sometimes.

401 - 420 of 448 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.