Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
381 - 400 of 448 Posts
^Well I"m running 1.0" spacers in the front and rear, but also have the rear subframe spacer to recenter the wheels. If you're not planning on running the subframe spacer with the 1 3/8" strut spacer you could be rubbing against the front of the rear fender liner. At the very least it won't look good being pushed that far forward. Also you will need a lower offset wheel to clear the strut perch like +40 or lower. I'm running +35[/QUOTE

Great looking set-up you have. I am awaiting a 17' Premium 6MT in white. Each time I question whether I should lower it, I look at yours and it brings me right back to the opposite. I have contacted Patrick at ADF and the plan will be his 1.5" lift with the 1.5" multi-link spacers. Really like the Method MR501 which is a 17x8 with a 42 offset. Haven't decided on tires but thinking one of the following:

225/65-17 Yokohama Geolander AT's
235/65-17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3's

Not sure I could do a 225/70-17.???

Discussion starter · #382 ·
^I have no experience with those tires myself, but I think they're pretty well reviewed. I'm completely happy with the Hankook Dynapro ATMs I have in size 235/65 17. Can't imagine a better all around tire for my needs. I leaned towards them over other brands because they perform well in snow and are pretty light. Almost 50k miles on them and still happy with a good amount of tread left.

I think the Geolanders aren't quite as rugged and lean more towards on pavement handling than most AT tires. That might fit your needs fine though. I think the Cooper are more rugged and comparable to the Hankooks. I thought I remember reading that they aren't as good in snow so I steered away from them. I think there is a new model of Geolander out now that is a little more rugged looking and performing. Might be worth looking into those.

The 225/65 will fit fine with no rubbing with those wheels you want. The 235/65 could be cutting it close to hitting the spring perch in the front with +42 offset. I'm running +35 with mine and have about a 1/4" clearance, so the +42 would be very borderline on rubbing. I think you'd just be ok, but can't guarantee it. I'm not really sure about the 225/70. I think that could be close to rubbing on the spring perch too.

Discussion starter · #383 ·
Happy to say I finally past 100,000 miles on my ride and it's still running good.

20160912_223801 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

Only some small issues so far and had to replace a few things probably due to wear and tear. Had to spend a little more money than I was planning on replacement components, but I guess it is expected from the harsh roads I drive on a pretty regular basis. Here's a breakdown of non standard items I've had to replace so far:

-CV axle and front control arm bushings at around 60k miles. Surprised the CV went bad that quick, but could have been from taking some hard hits on rough dirt roads or from the shop damaging it during my lift installation. Also kind of surprised about the bushings cracking already at that point.

-Right Rear strut is currently blown, leaking fluid and clunking. I guess not all that surprising of an item to go at this mileage with the amount of rough bumpy roads this vehicle has traveled over. Parts are on order to replace both of the rear struts. Probably going to add an extra 3/8" lift spacer while I'm at it.

-One or both of my rear wheel bearings has been going out and getting progressively louder, which could be related to the 1" lift and lower wheel offset I'm running. I've heard of a few other people having wheel bearings go bad on the OEM suspension and wheel setup though.

-Minor oil leak from engine gasket on drivers side bottom of the engine. Just noticed residue on my skidplate and traced the leak, but doesn't seem to be losing a significant amount of oil between changes to show as a drop on the dipstick. Time will tell if this is a serious problem or not.

I should note that for half of the vehicles life (mileage) I was taking it on rough roads with 18" wheels and minimal rubber protection, so that could have accelerated the damage to some of the components. Since then I've dropped to 17" wheel and tire setup and air down if off pavement for an extended period of time, which drastically reduces the impact of imperfections. Also kind of amazingly I still have life on the original brake pads. I guess that shows that I still do a ton of highway driving, but obviously you kind of have to in order to rack up mileage this quick (averging 30k a year). Oh yeah by the way I've been running the COBB Stage 1 OTS map, since like 35k miles or so I think.

Here's to more happy miles/trails ahead!
DSC07701 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

^I have no experience with those tires myself, but I think they're pretty well reviewed. I'm completely happy with the Hankook Dynapro ATMs I have in size 235/65 17. Can't imagine a better all around tire for my needs. I leaned towards them over other brands because they perform well in snow and are pretty light. Almost 50k miles on them and still happy with a good amount of tread left.

I think the Geolanders aren't quite as rugged and lean more towards on pavement handling than most AT tires. That might fit your needs fine though. I think the Cooper are more rugged and comparable to the Hankooks. I thought I remember reading that they aren't as good in snow so I steered away from them. I think there is a new model of Geolander out now that is a little more rugged looking and performing. Might be worth looking into those.

The 225/65 will fit fine with no rubbing with those wheels you want. The 235/65 could be cutting it close to hitting the spring perch in the front with +42 offset. I'm running +35 with mine and have about a 1/4" clearance, so the +42 would be very borderline on rubbing. I think you'd just be ok, but can't guarantee it. I'm not really sure about the 225/70. I think that could be close to rubbing on the spring perch too.
Thanks for the info. Now I threw a new tire in the mix: Bridgestone A/T Revo II in 235/65-17. Ran these years ago when we lived in the mountains of Colorado on some larger vehicles and never had to run snows during winter months. Going with a +35 offset instead, which seems to be a better fitment. Also going to research the Hankooks as well. Can't wait for it to arrive. Sounds like some 6MT's are arriving on the westcoast. :smile2:

Congrats @SuBooneru for hitting 100k miles!! Good to hear your maintenance issues haven't been too bad either.

I'm 74k miles strong, and so far have only had to change out both rear wheel bearing/hub assemblies. The bearing noise was driving me crazy.
I've been on the stock tune but seriously considering Cobb Accessport for Stage 1 now since you've been on it so long haha.

Keep us posted on what you'll be doing for 100k maintenance as well ;)

Great looking set-up you have. I am awaiting a 17' Premium 6MT in white. Each time I question whether I should lower it, I look at yours and it brings me right back to the opposite. I have contacted Patrick at ADF and the plan will be his 1.5" lift with the 1.5" multi-link spacers. Really like the Method MR501 which is a 17x8 with a 42 offset. Haven't decided on tires but thinking one of the following:

225/65-17 Yokohama Geolander AT's
235/65-17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3's

Not sure I could do a 225/70-17.???
Your setup will be very similar to mine. 1.5" front, 1.75" rear lift with a 17x8 +40 wheel. 235/65/17 tires.

I am running the Toyota Open Country AT2 and couldn't be happier. I think the Toyo and Hankook tires are the 2 best choices in this size.

Discussion starter · #391 ·
Congrats @SuBooneru for hitting 100k miles!! Good to hear your maintenance issues haven't been too bad either.

I'm 74k miles strong, and so far have only had to change out both rear wheel bearing/hub assemblies. The bearing noise was driving me crazy.
I've been on the stock tune but seriously considering Cobb Accessport for Stage 1 now since you've been on it so long haha.

Keep us posted on what you'll be doing for 100k maintenance as well ;)
Thanks and congrats on getting yours up to 74k with even less issues than me! Like I said I'm pretty sure I need my rear bearings replaced too. Seems like Subaru needs to improve the design on those or something because I've heard of quite a few people having them go out too early. Are you running aftermarket wheels with lower offset by chance?

For 100k maintenance I just did new differential fluid for both front and rear, new brake fluid, and new spark plugs. I would have maybe done the HTCVT fluid change if I hadn't done it at around 50k. Based on the Fluid Analysis Geojosh got done that showed the fluid probably still had plenty of life left and the fact that the dealer didn't even recommend it, I think I can stretch the interval out longer than that. I figure as long as it doesn't start feeling weird and or I don't get an AT Fluid temp warning light, I'll probably just roll with it for at least another 50k.

Thanks and congrats on getting yours up to 74k with even less issues than me! Like I said I'm pretty sure I need my rear bearings replaced too. Seems like Subaru needs to improve the design on those or something because I've heard of quite a few people having them go out too early. Are you running aftermarket wheels with lower offset by chance?

For 100k maintenance I just did new differential fluid for both front and rear, new brake fluid, and new spark plugs. I would have maybe done the HTCVT fluid change if I hadn't done it at around 50k. Based on the Fluid Analysis Geojosh got done that showed the fluid probably still had plenty of life left and the fact that the dealer didn't even recommend it, I think I can stretch the interval out longer than that. I figure as long as it doesn't start feeling weird and or I don't get an AT Fluid temp warning light, I'll probably just roll with it for at least another 50k.
I'm on stock wheels and stock everything. Except a 20mm rear sway bar upgrade at 10k. I replaced both wheel rear bearings/hub assemblies even though it was the driver rear making most of the noise. A lot of people recommended I replace both as when one goes out the other will go out soon too. I changed them out myself, not too hard... glad I did both because the passenger rear looked and felt like it was going out too which I observed when I actually got it off.

Will you be doing new coolant too?
Glad to hear you'll be keeping it for at least 50k longer!

Hey, big fan of your setup -- not sure I would have bought a Forester without seeing what you've done with yours.

Quick question: I've ordered a 1.5" front/1.75" rear ADF lift as well as 17x8 +35 wheels. I'm debating between 235/65r17 and 245/65r17 Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10s. The diameter of the 245s is 0.5" larger and the tread is 0.3" wider. Do you think the 245s would still clear the strut perch, or have significantly worse rubbing issues? Are you planning on staying with the same size tires when you get a new set?

Thanks!

Discussion starter · #394 ·
^Good question! My Hankooks are about in need of replacement after ~50K miles and I'm going to get them again and was considering going up to the 245's. I think it will be pretty close to hitting the strut perch, but just might clear. I've decided that even if it does clear it's not worth it to me to go a size up though.

Only gains from going up to the 245 are a little more lift and more aggressive appearance. The negatives are there will definitely be more frequent rubbing on the fender liner and factory mudflaps if you have them. There will be more loss of MPG's and performance with the added weight and diameter. Handling probably won't be as good. Could be harder on the CVT. Snow will build up in the wheel well more easily, which could cause the vehicle to struggle and lose traction.

've been really happy with the 235's so don't want to be greedy and push it to where I create problems. I hope somebody does try 245/65 17 though. I know the Outback guys are running that size in the BFG K02 and I've heard they run small, so those could fit I think. Super heavy though and will definitely sap performance.

Happy to say I finally past 100,000 miles on my ride and it's still running good.

20160912_223801 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr

Only some small issues so far and had to replace a few things probably due to wear and tear. Had to spend a little more money than I was planning on replacement components, but I guess it is expected from the harsh roads I drive on a pretty regular basis. Here's a breakdown of non standard items I've had to replace so far:

-CV axle and front control arm bushings at around 60k miles. Surprised the CV went bad that quick, but could have been from taking some hard hits on rough dirt roads or from the shop damaging it during my lift installation. Also kind of surprised about the bushings cracking already at that point.

-Right Rear strut is currently blown, leaking fluid and clunking. I guess not all that surprising of an item to go at this mileage with the amount of rough bumpy roads this vehicle has traveled over. Parts are on order to replace both of the rear struts. Probably going to add an extra 3/8" lift spacer while I'm at it.

-One or both of my rear wheel bearings has been going out and getting progressively louder, which could be related to the 1" lift and lower wheel offset I'm running. I've heard of a few other people having wheel bearings go bad on the OEM suspension and wheel setup though.

-Minor oil leak from engine gasket on drivers side bottom of the engine. Just noticed residue on my skidplate and traced the leak, but doesn't seem to be losing a significant amount of oil between changes to show as a drop on the dipstick. Time will tell if this is a serious problem or not.

I should note that for half of the vehicles life (mileage) I was taking it on rough roads with 18" wheels and minimal rubber protection, so that could have accelerated the damage to some of the components. Since then I've dropped to 17" wheel and tire setup and air down if off pavement for an extended period of time, which drastically reduces the impact of imperfections. Also kind of amazingly I still have life on the original brake pads. I guess that shows that I still do a ton of highway driving, but obviously you kind of have to in order to rack up mileage this quick (averging 30k a year). Oh yeah by the way I've been running the COBB Stage 1 OTS map, since like 35k miles or so I think.

Here's to more happy miles/trails ahead!
DSC07701 by Dustin Boone, on Flickr
Thats crazy you already passed me in mileage and I drive everywhere! haha

Discussion starter · #396 ·
^Haha I do spend a ridiculous amount of time in my car, but at least it's mostly for fun stuff I guess. I only commute like 10 miles round trip for work. I rack up most of the miles going back and forth to the beach, which is like 40 to 100 miles round trip and camping trips in the mountains, even through winter, which are 100's of miles round trip.

Just wanted to post in and say that I love this build thread. I purchased a 2017 Forester XT after having a bunch of sports cars (WRX hatch, 5.0 mustang, some others) and a wrangler because I wanted something that could still be fun while being able to go anywhere there's a road, no matter the condition of said road. Your build thread showed me that the Forester is EXACTLY what I wanted... Absolutely love how yours came out.

Discussion starter · #398 ·
^Thanks! Nice to hear. Sounds like we had a similar past car wise and reasoning for getting a Forester XT. Ideally I'd want to have a fun sporty car for pavement purposes and then a Jeep or some sort of lifted truck for off pavement stuff and camping trips, but I don't have space or money for two vehicles and the Forester XT is the best reasonable compromise out there in my opinion. Happy trails man!

Man. Everything about this thread is amazing. I love the photos, the ride, the adventures, and all the feedback/responses. Keep it up! I am considering running the same wheel dimension and tires as you. Not sure if I will get away with stock height though.

381 - 400 of 448 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.