Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figure this thing is going to be a never ending work in progress, so I decided to start a thread on it. I picked this up a few weeks ago for $27k before taxes, and was torn on a turbo model or not, but didn't feel like paying the hyped sticker price they were asking. Was able to get it with a Kenwood Navi system installed from the dealership and have loved every minute of it. The heated seats are my favorite option and it keeps my fat *** nice and toasty.

After having it for a couple of weeks I took it to the local shop and had some work done. First thing I did was tint the moonroof and have aftermarket LED kits put in the headlights and the fog lights. Been driving around with them and enjoy them, but I wish there was more projection of light. Going to look at having them swapped out for some HID kits for both. At that time I sat down to look at having the vehicle wrapped and settled upon the 3M Matte Apple Green finish. Just had that done and since it is a for a business vehicle it should stand out great. Being that I am in Seattle the colors will work great for Seahawks fans and Sounders fans. The looks I get from driving it around are constant stares and people always wondering why I would that to such a new car.

Going in tomorrow to look at having the front headlights and tail lights tinted. If all goes well going to have the chrome on the grill wrapped in either carbon fiber or matte black. I might even go with a metallic matte blue, but haven't decided. I will probably have the fog lights wrapped in a light yellow tint too to give a nice hue to them. So many great things that I look forward to doing to the car like a Aeries nudge bar and some new rims. Might push my luck and see what some 20's will look like on the car. So much wheel well to fill, might as well see how it will look. Can't wait to document the whole transformation!

·
Registered
2014 Impreza Premium 2.0 AT w/ Manual Mode
267 Posts
OMG... I would drive across the state to see that, can't wait to see how it turns out when your finished!

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I visually molested the Forester. Wanted to find something to change, so I started with the tail lights. Seeing as how the green wrap brought to light the chrome inside the tail lights, I went with a light tint that I had wrapped around the tail lights. It really blended them well with the tint and defined them much more. Really love the way they turned out. The pictures are progress of before and after.

After I had the tail lights done, I decided the factory tint just wasn't enough for me and opted to have new tint applied. I chose to go with 25% for the front windows which was just the right darkness while still allowing light in. For the rear doors and side windows as well as the rear window I went with 25% tint on top of the factory tint. To say the rear windows and side windows are dark is and understatement. I would say it is close to being limo tinted and compliments the tinted tail lights very well.

Once all that was complete it was time to do work on the headlights which beamed way too much chrome. Obvious choice was to have them tinted and gave them a light film as well. They didn't cut down much of the light output and if anything toned down the impact of the LED head light kit I had put in. Even went so far as to have a yellow film put over the fog lights as well. It turned out really great and I wasn't sure how it was going to look at first.

Here is a picture this evening and still surprised how bright it is every single time I see it. The black and green color contrast really stands out and love the way it looks. Going to have the grill wrapped hopefully later this week and get rid of all the chrome on it.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT CVT
3,535 Posts
That green is bright, but i won't say I hate it. Nice on the tinting the headlights and tails. I personally like the tails bright red. but its probably because I have a black car.

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
Looking good man! Before I came across this thread I am actually taking in my newly purchased XT for tint on windows, tails and headlights. What percentage tint is on your headlights? That's exactly how I want mine to look. Also, where did you go for your aftermarket headlights and fogs? That's next on my list!

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to Midnight Window Tinting in Bellevue. Talk to the owner Brett if you go in. At the same time he was working on mine he was doing a clear 3M protection on a 14 XT as well. I also got the LED kits from him for the fog and head lights. The tint for the headlight is a film made just for lights and it is a light smoke and a medium for the tail lights. The LED gives you a really bright white color without getting the blue hue that a lot of the HID kits give you.

·
Forester of the Year 2014
SJ XT Premium CVT
2,818 Posts
I went to Midnight Window Tinting in Bellevue. Talk to the owner Brett if you go in. At the same time he was working on mine he was doing a clear 3M protection on a 14 XT as well. I also got the LED kits from him for the fog and head lights. The tint for the headlight is a film made just for lights and it is a light smoke and a medium for the tail lights. The LED gives you a really bright white color without getting the blue hue that a lot of the HID kits give you.
Good to know, thanks! Did you install the LED kits yourself or do they do that also? How much was it, if you dont mind me asking.......

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just converted the LED headlight kits over to an HID kit and although they project light much more, they are a lot more blind shadow spots. The LED's give a much more blanket coverage look and although not as bright, a much more even look. I have the LED's in the fog lights and when I turn them off the headlights look really weak. It is a night and day difference look and I hate to say that I will go back to the LED's. Another gripe is that the HID's are very blue and borderline purple looking. This picture doesn't show the blue, but pretty sure you know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good to know, thanks! Did you install the LED kits yourself or do they do that also? How much was it, if you dont mind me asking.......
I had them install the kit's and I can't remember the price. Looks to be an incredibly easy process as it is completely plug and play.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Decided to add a few more items to it today. Went with another set of hi-power LED bulb setups in the high beams and bright is an understatement. I would hate to be in front of me. Pretty sure it would blind a deer. The first headlight picture is with aftermarket PIAA bulbs and the second is with the LED bulb. The last picture is standing back comparing the LED high beams vs the PIAA high beams. Truly painful...

The last thing I did to visually molest the fozzy was to start the wrapping of the grill in carbon fiber. Blacked out the logo and going to wrap the whole grill here shortly too.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts