Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how heard/easy it is to install the Subaru body side moldings on a 2010 Forester? Have any 2009-10 Forester owners tried this?

Bill

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Yep

Very, very easy. I seriously advise that you make sure that the temperature is right on the components. You should make sure your doors and moldings are warmer than 60 degrees F (this is to make sure adhesive works properly).

Also, use blue masking tape on the templates (comes right off the car). Of course, the moldings come with a cardboard template that you put on the doors, making it fool proof when it comes time to put the moldings on right.

A rubber roller is a must, just to make sure that the adhesive is evenly glued to the doors when you finish. Takes about an hour to do.

pdf for the moldings install (look at "2009 body side moldings: forester)--
Free Publications > Accessory Installation Guides

pic of my molding job--

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Haha this guy has 2 posts and I wonder if he just made up 2 hours :p this seems pretty easy. I mean, it can't be hard compared with installing speakers or a head unit or new bumpers which isn't hard anyways!
Yep. pretty much peel and paste.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
50 Posts
Easy Easy Easy....
Don't expect the colour to be a perfect match though...
The white of the moulding is slightly whiter than the body in my case, not sure bout other colours

·
Registered
2009 Premium X AT
863 Posts
This has been BY FAR the most difficult install I've done on my Forester...

No just kidding... Just attach templates, and the Moldings go right above using 3M adhesive... Takes 20 minutes at most if you're trying to be real precise. Check my Mod Journal for Pics of it Installed.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everbody for your input. It sounds like something I can handle.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester 4 speed auto
6 Posts
Thanks to this forum, I was considering getting this done at the dealership but instead DIY and saved myself $80. It was real easy and taping the templates precisely is the key. Also my forester is sky blue and the color of the molding matches quite well unlike @Wired-4-Sound

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
10 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2013 Forester. I'm thinking of ordering some for my white Forester and getting my husband to put them on. He's very handy, so I imagine it's not that hard. Is it??

·
SierraHotel
2010 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
545 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2013 Forester. I'm thinking of ordering some for my white Forester and getting my husband to put them on. He's very handy, so I imagine it's not that hard. Is it??
The kit that comes from Subaru has good instructions and includes a template for positioning the moldings correctly. Cleaning the paint surface thoroughly before installation is probably the most important step. Your husband should have no problem.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
10 Posts
The kit that comes from Subaru has good instructions and includes a template for positioning the moldings correctly. Cleaning the paint surface thoroughly before installation is probably the most important step. Your husband should have no problem.
Thanks for the info. I called the dealer and asked for a quote and he said they would only charge about $160. That doesn't sound bad at all. I'll probably go to the dealer.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5x 4 EAT
190 Posts
Thanks for the info. I called the dealer and asked for a quote and he said they would only charge about $160. That doesn't sound bad at all. I'll probably go to the dealer.
Thats only for the labor? The moldings itself is $230 at a dealership. It's cheaper if you order them from one of the venders here. I'd say around $179 for the molding set.

·
Registered
2011 2.5x Auto
346 Posts
I think body side moldings should be standard equipment. They protect your doors and also dampen vibration in the outer door skin.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Automatic
10 Posts
Thats only for the labor? The moldings itself is $230 at a dealership. It's cheaper if you order them from one of the venders here. I'd say around $179 for the molding set.
He said it included parts and labor, because I asked about that price. They may have given me a low price since I complained about how much they charged for the extended warranty and I cancelled it.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5x 4 EAT
190 Posts
He said it included parts and labor, because I asked about that price. They may have given me a low price since I complained about how much they charged for the extended warranty and I cancelled it.
Really? If that's true then it's a really great deal. But, that's way too low to sound legit, double check that if I were you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts