Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
161 - 180 of 1782 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
No, I haven't noticed that yet on mine. Matter of fact, the seats seem more comfortable than the ones in my '03, now my son's. I had to put STi seats in it to get the seating position that would work for me. :smile:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Thanks! :biggrin: I have to admit some MODs are more for convenience than for performance. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Real quick question...on your drivers seat, do you notice if it seems to fall over time? I have my seat all the way up on the height and all the way back...and I notice that over time (depending on the road) the seat seems to lower it self.
Is the X sports seat manually pumped hydraulics?

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Nice job on the boost gauge! I used a really basic Autometer cup that basically blocks off the middle of the tach (it doesn't actually block the tach, just the warning lights and stuff at the bottom). The adjustable cup you used looks a lot nicer.

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 · (Edited)
Windows & moonroof are tinted!

MOD #6 is complete! :biggrin:

I've been looking forward to this MOD, which is not just cool looking, but keeps you cool. :wink:

I never tint the windshield or the front two windows (driver/passenger), a personal preference. The window tinting cost me $195 & the moonroof tinting was $30. :smile:

The side windows & the hatch & the moonroof is tinted 20%. I requested 5% on the moonroof, but it looks like they did everything 20%. :frown: With 20% on the moonroof, you still get some sun, but not so bad that you need to close the slide unless it directly overhead. If you're wondering if 20% is too dark, for me it's just about perfect for side windows, but I'd recommend 5% tint on the moonroof. :wink:

Bobby...

Before & after 20% tinting.

before & after 20% tinting.

A couple pictures thru the moonroof with 20% tint.

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
The seats feel firmer to me, but the controls are identical to the old ones that were in my '03X, now the son's with STi seats! :frown:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Nice job on the boost gauge! I used a really basic Autometer cup that basically blocks off the middle of the tach (it doesn't actually block the tach, just the warning lights and stuff at the bottom). The adjustable cup you used looks a lot nicer.
The VUMAXX does give you more adjustments, but it can shake a bit when the plastic the mounting is on gets hot & the road is rough. There is a work around, but it will only work if you have the steering wheel all the way up. :wink:

The picture I posted kinda shows the gauge cup blocking the tach, but in reality, I can see the entire tach. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 · (Edited)
Thanks! :biggrin:

No, I didn't go to Tommy's, but perhaps I should have. :frown: Not real bad, but I'm finding too many flaws & it's my nature to spot things like that. The tint has a lifetime guarantee, but it's a PIA to have to go back to have things made right. :mad:

Still... it does look pretty good. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sports
17 Posts
Its the little knob that rotates. My Outback had a handle that pumps up like a lever...much better.

I will tally how many times tomorrow I have to raise the seat...I am driving from Portland to LA Via Sacramento. WOHOO! My car is loaded...can't see out the back...it is how I roll.

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
The STi seats I put in the '03 has the handle that you can pump to shove your head into the ceiling! The seat in my '07 is like the old seats that were in the '03, just a sinking knob, which does raise up the seat, but also tilts it. What's up with that? :shake: The only plus for the '07 seats, is that they seem firmer, which I like. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
No plans on an STi lip at this time, but the "butt flap" is sitting in my living room. I might install it tomorrow. I believe that will be MOD #7. :wink:

Lots of stuff still in the MOD box. I should have my STi scoop within a week. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 · (Edited)
I have to admit it looks better now with the tint. I suspect they needed more black to make them stand out :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 · (Edited)
Audio mute & subwoofer on/off switch MOD.

I've been waiting for these switches that I found on e Bay. They need to be installed in the blanks (see picture). The fit is going to be tight, but I need these switches for my audio upgrade. One will be for "audio mute" & the other one will be for "subwoofer" on or off.:smile:

Note that the LEDs on these switches are isolated from the switch contacts, so that can be wire to match your application. Switched battery (+12V) or switched ground (-12V) :cool:

I finished cutting the holes as you can see below. It was a PIA, since the fit was so close with the switch requiring a 3/4" round holes. I used a drill & then lots of hand trimming, plus melting the inside of the blank with my soldering iron to get as much room as possible. There is a slight difference in texture on the 2 blanks, one being from our '03 & one from the '07. I showed my son & told him they're not too bad. He said they're perfect! I'll have to see how they look together in the dash. :smile:

Bobby..

Here's the project. Put the switches in the blanks! :icon_eek:

Here's one that I finished. Note I cutoff part of the blank to make shaping the inside easier.

Here's both as they'll sit in the dash. :cool:

I switched to smaller images, since details are not required to view this part of the project.

The wiring begins. I like to draw out my wiring diagram before I start wiring, since this will help prevent errors & it's easier to see if changes or additions are required. It's much easier to fix problems here, than after it's installed. :wink:​

I installed shrink tubing to insulate, as well as preventing too much wire movement.

The wiring is complete & the switches are ready to have the Molex wire connectors (love them!) installed.

When I started this project, I suspected the brightness of the LEDs would have to be adjusted, so I added Molex connectors that would allow me to easily change the LED resistors. I was right, the yellow LED was much brighter, when compared to the green LED. I reduced a small amount of resistance in the resistor for the green LED & added resistance to the yellow LED resistor to get the two switches to look about the same when the LEDs are lit.

I need to note here that some prefer to call the resistor a "current limiting" resistor. I prefer to call them "voltage dropping" resistors. If you measure the voltage across the resistor & across the the LED, the two readings added together will equal the source voltage. The voltage that the LED doesn't need is "dropped" across the resistor, hence the reason I prefer to call it a "dropping resistor". When I setup an LED, I select the resistor to drop enough of the voltage to provide the LED with the voltage it needs to operate safely.​

This pictures shows the two MODded switch blanks installed.

Of course the MODding never ends, so here's how the lower switch panel looks now labeled & ready to be reinstalled into the Forester.

Related posts.

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 · (Edited)
im liking the switch idea bobby, keep up the amazing work!
Thanks! I love this stuff & I miss what I had in the '03, now my son's Forester. I'm MODding up to that level & then I can move to new stuff, like power MODs :cool:

Tinting looks good! Get a rear spoiler, now!:icon_biggrin: Keep us posted w/ the audio install, too.
Thanks! I have the butt flap, it's in the living room. Way too hot out to install it so far this week, but it's suppose to cool off tomorrow. :wink:

Bobby...

161 - 180 of 1782 Posts