Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1782 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! I'm still trying to catch up to you guys with the modded super Foresters! :wink:

Winter is the time to plan out projects & shop for parts. I'm not sure what I like to do more... shop for parts or install them? :confused:

I'm still pondering the COBB downpipe, since it's on the spendy side. Then I'm thinking, if I'm going to be in there, why not upgrade the turbo! :icon_eek:
I had a bad experience with my downpipe install. A couple of the studs were cross-threaded and had to be broken-off and extracted. The TMIC had to come off to provide easy access to the DP and heat-shield fasteners. The turbo (TD04 at the time) came off too in order to get the studs out. That would've been an opportune time to put in a VF39 and STi TMIC, which I didn't have at the time. To be honest, I'd do everything at once...DP, turbo, and TMIC. A turbo inlet would also be a nice addition.

I know we've already talked about the VF39, but if you're looking for an STi TMIC, I'd be glad to work with you on that, too.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,302 ·
Ian,

Thanks for your insight! I can see this could cost me some serious money! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
These were delivered last week! They're sold by Jeggs Performance Parts on e Bay. This completes all the parts I need for this project. :cool:

Bobby...

This pictures shows the Autometer ATF temperature manifold with the Nordskog oil temperature gauge sensor (sender) & the Earl's Performance plumbing hose fittings. I went with this specific hose fitting for its extra length, which has room for 2 hose clamps (double clamping).

Related posts:
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)
Im actually looking to add a trans temp gauge. What gauge will that sending unit work with or is it for the oem dummy light?

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,304 ·
Brian,

You can use the Autometer manifold with any gauge, it's just a means to get the sensor (sender) into the ATF flow. As to what gauge I'm using, take a look at this post.

Autometer ATF temperature manifold. (Post #1268)

I'm using this specific gauge because I had it on hand & it was "free". If I were looking for a new gauge, I may have gone with a digital gauge, since it would be easier to view where it's going to be mounted. :wink:

Bobby...

Reactions: rfoster458

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,306 · (Edited)
Innovate Motorsports LC-1 controller - Calibration switch.

It's been nearly a month & finally the switch I've been waiting for was in the today's mail! I hate to say it, but the quality of the switch is poor. There's no way I'm going to use one of these Hong Kong switches on my project! :mad:

On the positive side. During the long wait for the above switch, I found another switch on e Bay, this time from a US seller. I passed over it a couple times, but at .99 cents, I figured I'd get one to look over. It also arrived in today's mail! This switch is a known brand & is perfect. I'll be using this switch for the project! :smile:

All the parts are now assembled for the Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel project, so I can get back to this project! :cool:

Bobby...

The switch on the left was purchased from a US seller. The two switches on the right are from the Hong Kong seller. What a cheap piece of junk, even the red push buttons fit poorly!

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,307 · (Edited)
Air/Fuel & ATF temperature gauge - Ashtray gauge bezel - Cutting & fitting.

On the previous post the layout of the LED, switches & gauges were finalized & the measurements were transferred to the scale drawing. This write up will show how to transfer those measurements to the Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel so the panel can be drilled & cut. The old saying, "measure twice, cut once" comes to mind. :wink:

Bobby...

This picture shows the layout from the scale drawing transferred to the ashtray gauge bezel. The black gauge outline is the gauge bezel size & the red outline is the hole size, which will vary on different gauge brands. Each hole needs to be custom cut for the specific gauge if you want a tight fit.

The upper picture shows the LED & two switch holes being drilled. The lower picture shows the holes drilled to the final ¼" hole size.

The upper picture shows the "old school" method that I used to cut out the gauge openings. The lower picture shows how I removed the remaining material. The ashtray gauge bezel is made of aluminum, so a small wire cutter will easily finish the cutting.

The upper picture shows the rough cut gauge holes. The lower picture shows the gauges being test fitted in the openings after the holes are filed to the final size.

This final picture shows the ashtray gauge bezel ready for the next step, the black textured vinyl overlayment, which will be covered on the next write up.

I should note here the advantage of an unfinished aluminum gauge panel. No need to worry about marring the finish, since it will be covered with a vinyl overlayment. This makes the cutting & drilling stress free & almost fun. :icon_eek:

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,309 ·
Thanks Brian!

It's always fun to share how my projects come together. Today I'm working on the vinyl overlayment. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,310 · (Edited)
Air/Fuel & ATF temperature gauge - Ashtray gauge bezel - Vinyl overlayment.

On the previous post I covered the drilling & cutting. On this write up I'm going to apply the textured black vinyl overlayment. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

The upper picture shows the project. The drilled & cut ashtray gauge bezel & the textured vinyl overlayment material that will be applied to it. The lower picture shows the piece that will be placed on the bottom shelf. The aluminum needs to clean & oil free for the vinyl to adhere correctly. In addition, this piece needs to be applied first so the main piece will cover the seam.

The upper picture shows the bottom piece installed & the two side pieces cut & ready to be installed. The lower picture shows the side pieces installed. There's no need to be exact on the outside edges, since that area will not be visible. The inside edges require a tight, precise fit.

The upper picture shows the center piece cut to size & ready to be installed. The lower picture shows the center piece installed & ready for the LED, switches & gauge holes to be cut out. There's no need to cover the mounting tabs or the edges of the bezel, since they won't be visible.

The upper picture shows the vinyl cut from the LED, switch & gauge holes. The vinyl overlayment material I used is aluminum backed. This was something I saved from work many years ago, so I have no idea where it could be purchased. The vinyl material doesn't need to be aluminum backed, but it does need to be industrial grade to hold up to the heat & cold in the vehicle. The lower picture show the complete vinyl covered gauge bezel.

Here's another picture of the vinyl covered ashtray gauge bezel. As I wrote earlier, there's no need to cover the mounting tabs or the edges of the bezel, since they won't be visible.

On the next write up I'll install the green LED, switches & gauges onto the ashtray gauge bezel. Then I'll wire everything together so it'll be ready to install into the Forester.

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,314 · (Edited)
STi TMIC!

UPS delivered this yesterday! Another part for the 2011 MODding project box! :biggrin:

I bet you can guess what kind of MOD I have in mind for the Forester this year! :wink:

Bobby...
Brand new in the factory shipping box. They don't come any more perfect than this!

Of course there's some assembly required, but it looks like great fun to me!

Related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,316 ·
I bought the STi TMIC as a package deal, so everything you see was included. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
Oh!!! And, I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I'd strongly suggest covering the top of the TMIC with a fine mesh to prevent debris from damaging those pristine fins. Bugs, leaves, pine needles, etc seem to collect there very easily, as I'm sure you know. :biggrin:

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,319 ·
Gotcha. Makes sense. May I inquire as to the cost of a new STi TMIC? (You can PM me, if you want to share.) :p Just curious...
So I don't get laughed at or mess up someones pending sale... PM at you. :wink:

Bobby...

1301 - 1320 of 1782 Posts