Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
781 - 800 of 1788 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 · (Edited)
The driver's side is definitely a snap compared to the passenger side. Just remember to swap both of the seat belt buckles!
Thanks for the reminder! I noticed the '05 STi seat belt buckle didn't have the sensor wire, so I figure if I didn't swap it, it wouldn't work correctly. :wink:

The passenger seat was easy to pull out of the front door (no steering wheel), but I'm going to pull the driver seat out the hatch. I remember the driver seat was a PIA to pull out the driver door when I did the STi seats in the '03. In addition, I don't want to scratch anything up... like did then! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
Thank you for the compliment! I know people are looking at my Member Journal, from the view count, but it's always nice when someone takes the time to post a comment. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #784 · (Edited)
'05 STi seat upgrade - passenger seat - complete!

It's very stormy (rain) here today, so I wasn't sure I could install the modified STi passenger seat back into the Forester. As most of you know, my vehicles park outside. The rain & wind subsided, so decided to "get-r-done"! :icon_eek:

Just to recap the MODding that was required. The '07 passenger seat has a occupant (weight) sensor, so this has to be moved to the STi seat. You can make a hybrid seat using the base from the Forester seat & the seat foam from the STi seat, but I want to retain the feel (support) provided by the STi seat. I also had to move the seat heaters from the Forester seat to the STi seat, so there was a bit of work involved. My main concern was moving the occupant (weight) sensor to the STi seat that has a different designed. I also decided to use the mounting rails from the Forester seats. Using the STi mounting rails will set the seats nearly 2" lower. Not too bad for the driver, but the passenger seat doesn't have a height adjustment. Also, if you use the Forester mounting rails, the rear trim pieces will fit perfectly.

Bottom line, my MODding was completely successful. The passenger airbag passes power up diagnostics & correctly detects a passenger, switching on the airbag. :biggrin:

My complete write up will follow, so this is just a "teaser", but I did include a couple pictures. :wink:

Bobby...
Here's a view from the passenger side.

Here's a view from the driver side.

Links to related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #786 ·
Thanks! :smile:

I wanted to pull the driver seat today, but it's been too stormy (rain). After MODding the passenger seat, the driver seat will be a piece-of-cake! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
'05 STi seat upgrade - passenger seat - occupant (weight) sensor MOD

I installed the modified STi passenger seat into the Forester today & the occupant (weight) sensor worked perfectly, so it's time to add this write up to my MODding Journal.

First, let me pass on some project notes.
  • When removing & installing the seats, watch the mounting tabs! They can do some serious damage! The passenger seat can be removed thru the passenger door. The steering wheel is a problem on the driver side, so the easiest way is to pull it out thru the rear hatch. I intended on going thru the rear hatch, but after I wrapped the mounting tabs with old towels, I figured I'd try going thru the driver door. It came out easily, but I was sure glad the mounting tabs were padded with the old towels! :icon_eek:
  • Everything underneath the seat is greasy, so use extra care not to transfer the grease to your seat!
  • When you have the seats in the house, it's very tempting to sit on them. If you do, you can bend the mounting tabs & possibly punch a hole thru your carpet!
The '07 Forester passenger seat has an occupant (weight) sensor that turns on or off the passenger airbag. The occupant (weight) sensor must be retained when an STi passenger seat is installed. There are a couple ways to achieve this. I choose to relocate the occupant (weight) sensor from the Forester passenger seat base to the STi passenger seat base. Doing the MOD this way retains the STi seat functionality.

This post will cover the relocation of the Forester passenger seat occupant (weight) sensor to the STi passenger seat. I'll do another post for the seat heater installation (move from the Forester seat to the STi seat).

There are way too many steps to document everything, so I tried to select the most important items. As always, feel free to add remarks or comments.
Bobby...

The upper picture shows the 3 cable connectors (yellow, blue & gray) that need to be release before the seat can be remove from the Forester. The 3 connectors each have a different type release, so I recommend unbolting the seat & tilt it back so you can see how the connectors are released. The lower picture shows the seat removed from the Forester. Note that the 2 front bolts & the one outside bolt are the same. The one on rear inside is different. Also, when the rear mounting tab covers are removed, don't force them off! The inside one pulls out, then slides back. The one near the door has 2 tabs that need to released before it can be removed.

The upper picture shows the stock seat. The back needs to be detached from the seat. There are 2 bolts on each side that need to be removed. The lower picture shows the seat foam pad flipped back off the base. To release the seat skin & foam pad, release the plastic clips that secure it to the frame bottom.

Now to the STi passenger seat. As with the Forester seat, the trim needs to be removed. On the STi seat, they install a plastic plug that covers a screw that has to be removed. The lower picture shows how I removed the cap without damaging it. Yes, another use for "duct" tape!

Now for the fun stuff! The two pictures below show the Forester & STi passenger seat base. Left on both pictures is the Forester seat base with the occupant (weight) sensor & on the right is the STi seat base. As you can see, there are some differences.

The upper picture shows the occupant sensor module. The module is attached to the Forester passenger seat frame with pop rivets, so they need to be drilled out to release the module. I formed a bracket from a small 90* corner brace to extend the one mounting point. The lower picture shows the marked mounting locations on the STi seat base being drilled.

The upper picture shows the drilled mounting holes for the occupant (weight) sensor module. The lower picture shows the occupant (weight) sensor module installed onto the STi seat base.

These pictures show how the occupant (weight) sensor bladder from the Forester seat base is attached to the STi seat base. It only takes 2 cable zip ties. Once the cable zip ties are cut, turn them towards the seat bottom so they won't damage the seat foam. The felt pad, sensor bladder & plastic sheet must line up as close as possible. In addition, the cable zip ties must be placed exactly where I placed them. Those are the only areas that will not affect the operation of the sensor bladder.

This final picture shows the bottom of the modified STi passenger seat. Note how I routed & secured the cables.

Links to related posts: The links below have not been fixed yet! ▼
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #124)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
Brian,

I use Photobucket & I upload the specific size I want for my posts. I use the medium size (320 x 240) setting for my side by side pictures & 15" screen size (800 x 600) for the large, so it doesn't require left to right scrolling to view the entire picture, which I find distracting (personal preference) :wink:

I can e-mail you specific pictures. Let me know. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #791 ·
Take pictures on the cable routing. Under the seat as well how the cables route to the back (airbag & seat heater). When you pop off the side clip for the airbag, secure the plastic clip on the cable (where it sits). Doing this will help you position the correct slack on the cable when you resecure the cable. I printed off a pictures so I could route the cables/wires like they were. It saves a lot of time not having to figure out why something isn't fitting correctly.

Overall, the project isn't too bad... kinda fun & man does the seat feel good! :cool: I'd recommend starting with the passenger seat, since that will take the most MODding. I also took time to vacuum the seat while it was torn down. Much easier than doing this in the vehicle. :wink:

I added some more project suggestions at the start of the passenger seat post. :smile:

I'm going to pull the driver seat today, if the rain lets up... it will be my B-day divertissement. :biggrin:

If I can't pull the driver seat today, I'll do the write up on pealing the seat skin to install the seat heaters. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #793 · (Edited)
The height adjustment on the STi seat is on the base & not on the mounting rail so using the Forester mounting rails doesn't affect that feature on the STi seat. :cool: I do plan on using the Forester mounting rails on the STi seat. :smile:

I just finished pulling the Forester driver seat. See the additional poop I added to my project notes on this post. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
I'm going to do my seat heater write up after dinner, before I start on the driver seat. I've uploaded my pictures to Photobucket (PIA), so now I'm ready to add the text. At this point, I don't have any plans on doing a write up for the driver seat, unless I see something that wasn't covered on the passenger seat write up. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #797 · (Edited)
'05 STi seat upgrade - passenger seat - seat heater MOD

This entry to my MODding Journal details how I moved the seat heater from the '07 Forester passenger seat to the '05 STi passenger seat. This post is a continuation of this post, for those that may need to know how to get to this point.

At this time, unless I find some major differences, I'm not going to post details for modifing the driver seat. It's pretty much the same as the passenger seat & much easier, since there's no occupant (weight) sensor! :cool:

There are way too many steps to document everything, so I tried to select the most important items. As always, feel free to add remarks or comments. :wink:

Bobby...

These pictures show the Forester bottom skin being peeled to remove the seat heater. Hog rings are used to secure the skin to the foam. They need to be cut to remove the seat heater pad. Note how the seat heater is placed onto the foam. You'll need to install it the same way on the STi seat.​

There's no need to remove all the hog rings, only what's required to remove the seat heater pad. The seat heater pad is secured to the foam with plastic stays, which need to be cut. Don't cut them flush. You need to pull them out of the foam, once the seat heater pad is removed. If you don't pull them out & the seat is reused, they could poke thru the seat skin.​

Now to the STi seat! You'll find many more hog rings are required on the STi seat to keep the seat skin in place. Hint, to make sure I secure the seat skin in the same location, I marked where the hog rings were secured with a red marker. The right pictures shows a problem I found (red arrows). The seat foam was split on both sides! The STi seats are on the narrow side with little give on the sides.​

The left pictures show how I fixed the split seat foam. I coated the crack with contact cement & secured it with a cargo strap. By the next day, the seat foam was like new. The right pictures shows the seat heater pad positioned on the STi seat bottom. Since I don't have plastic stays to secure the seat heater pad, I decided to use Scotch 3M 666 double-coated tape. The other option is to use a spray adhesive. This is not foam tape! This is a permanent thin double coated plastic tape. I used a 1" square in the places where the plastic stays were originally placed, being careful not to go near the heating wires.​

The left picture shows plastic cable zip ties positioned where the hog rings were placed. The cross seat skin support has already been secured tight with the cable zip ties. Once the cable zip tie is cut off, flush with the head, it's turned into the foam. If this isn't done, the cable zip tie head may be felt thru the seat skin. The right picture shows the side seat skin being secured. Again, make sure to turn the cable zip tie head into the seat foam.​

The left picture shows the final step before the cable zip ties are cutoff & the seat skin is pulled back over the seat foam. The right picture show the completed STi seat bottom, modified with a seat heater.​

Now to the seat back. The left picture shows the Forester seat back pealed back so the seat heater pad can be removed. I left off how the rear has to be unzipped to get to this point (very easy). In addition, when the rear is unzipped you will have to cut some hog rings. Only cut what is needed to partially remove the skin. I'd recommend not removing the hog ring on the airbag side. The right picture shows the STi seat back being pealed back.​

As you can see on the left picture, only 3 points need to be resecured with cable zip ties. The right picture shows the seat heater pad in place & the seat skin being reinstalled. On the the STi seat back, the seat heater is secured on the top with a metal wire & a cable zip tie. The bottom was secured with a strip of tape on the original, so I placed Scotch 3M 666 double-coated tape in the same area.​

Some final thoughts.
  • Some may find fault in the use of cable zip ties to replace the hog rings that were removed. My research found that aftermarket seat heaters are installed the same way. If you're skeptical, there's room to use 2 cable zip ties in each location.
  • I'd guess the seat heater pads would stay in place without being secured with tape, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Just be sure not to place the tape over the heater wires. I may have to revise my thoughts on securing the seat heater pad after I found this! :icon_eek:

Links to related posts:

Attachments

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #799 · (Edited)
Driver seat - seat belt chime (alarm) disabled!

I pulled the driver seat out yesterday. Even the driver seat has a bunch of sensors, some that I can't find on the wiring diagram. :icon_eek: Not a problem, I was just curious. :wink:

On another note. I did the seat belt alarm disable MOD way back & now with the seat out of the vehicle, I can see how it works. I've always been puzzled by members saying their seat heater stopped working when the seat belt alarm was disabled? Now I know why they lost their seat heater. The wrong cable plug was disconnected! The seat belt alarm is run thru the same wiring as the seat heater, but it has its own connector to tie into this cable. I'd guess some members unplugged the seat heater plug, which would disable the seat belt alarm, but also the seat heater. The plug that needs to be unplugged is the one that comes from the seat belt buckle & ties (plugs) into the seat heater cable. :smile:

Bobby...
This pictures shows the seat belt chime (alarm) disabled on my Forester.

Reactions: lilimaag

·
Administrator
41,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #800 · (Edited)
Driver seat "wedgie"?

Today's project was to pull the seat heater from the Forester driver seat to reinstall on the STi driver seat. I bought the Forester used last year (June/09) & I thought the driver seat was kinda lumpy. Take a look at what I discovered! Bottom line, if you have seat heaters & your seat isn't smooth & tight, this may be your problem! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

Attachments

781 - 800 of 1788 Posts