156 Posts
yea same with the WRX, and IIRC it was only one bolt

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #764 · (Edited)
there is a TBS about the rust, it mainly has to do with the bolts
it was for imprezas, not sure about foresters, my sisters 02 2.5TS had to have the bolts replace due to a TBS
yea same with the WRX, and IIRC it was only one bolt
Thats decent they "fixed" the problem.
I'd guess they replaced the rusting bolts, but not the rusted mounting tabs. :frown:

Hmmm... I'll have to look for the TBS, but looking at the rusting, it looks like the paint is still intact where the washer was. I'm not a painting expert, but I'd almost say the rail wasn't prepped properly to hold the topcoat. Matter of fact, there doesn't appear to be any primer at all!

Here's my theory. If the paint failure wasn't caused by too much salty moisture tracked in, then how about condensation on the cold front bolts. Consider a very moist environment, very cold bolts & the heater blasting hot moist air towards the floor. That would provide the perfect environment to promote rusting! That would also explain why the rear mounting tabs are rust free, being farther away from the hot moist air, plus being covered with the trim piece. :smile:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #765 · (Edited)
Im going to wait for the mod master to install his before I tackle mine.
No MOD master here, but if you're referring to my humble MODding efforts, you're not going to like my solution. Of course I'll know my plan of attack better when I have the old & new seats sitting side-by-side. :smile:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #766 · (Edited)
'05 STi seat upgrade - passenger seat!

I pulled the passenger seat yesterday, a picture is on the bottom of this post. The plan as it sits now is to place the STi seat onto the original seat base, since the hardware is in much better condition. :smile:

I decided to start with the passenger seat, since with the passenger detection (weight) sensor for the airbag, it will be the most challenging. :icon_eek:

I'll be taking lots of pictures & a detailed write up will follow. :wink:

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #768 · (Edited)
Wait until you remove the passenger seat! It has a ton of wiring with 3 plugs, each with a different type of release! :icon_eek: Hint, unbolt the seat & tilt it back to get to the plugs. If you try to release them while the seat is bolted down, you'll swear the airbag weight seat sensor plug is never coming loose! :mad:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #770 · (Edited)
We're mowing the backyard today, so no seat MODding today. :frown:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #771 · (Edited)

Okay, let's get on to the STi seat MODding! :cool:

(1) The plan at this time is to transfer the mounting rails from the original Forsester seats to the STi seats. this solves the problem of the rusted STi mounting tabs.

(2) The '07 Forester passenger seat is a nightmare of wires & sensors! :icon_eek: Today I'm going to take the seat apart. From a quick look, it really doesn't appear too difficult to move the occupant (weight) sensor to the STi seat. Of course I'll know more once I get the seat apart. :wink:

Stay tuned for more...

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #772 · (Edited)

The original passenger seat has been disassembled & I'm ready to start on the passenger STi seat. There are seat parts spread thru 3 rooms of my house! :icon_eek:

I'm still undecided on if I'll make a hybrid passenger seat like Chris (sea-scooby) & Andy (Smooth) did. I may decide to relocate the occupant (weight) sensor to the STi seat frame. I won't know for sure until I get the STi passenger seat apart. Once both seats are disassembled, I can start using parts from both seats to assembled the MODded STi passenger seat. :smile:

I was going to start with the driver seat, but now I know my decision to start with the passenger seat was a wise one. Once I get the PIA passenger seat MODded & installed, the driver seat will be a piece-of-cake! :cool:

I'm taking tons of pictures for my write up, which will follow when the MODding is complete. :wink:

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #773 · (Edited)

Today I took apart the '05 STi passenger seat bottom. I'm going to do the backs last. There are lots of hog rings on the STi seat to keep the skin tight. :icon_eek:

When I pealed off the skin, I was surprised to see the foam had split on either side. The STi seats are very firm with extra side support. This makes the seat kinda narrow, so if your bum is on the wide side, it will stress the foam :wink: The fix was easy, I coated the the crack on both sides with contact cement & pulled it together with a cargo strap. It should be good to go by morning.

The stock mounting rails have been relocated to the STi base. This gives me mounting tabs that are rust free. In addition, it places the seat a bit higher.

Next I addressed the occupant (weight) sensor. I wanted to keep the STi seat base, so I had to move the sensor bladder to the STi seat frame. This was tricky, since the springs run the opposite way on the Sti seat. I believe I got it situated correctly, but the test will be when it's tested in the vehicle. There is also a small box that bladder plugs into. I had to drill a couple holes in the seat frame to secure the box. This will all be easier to see when I do the write up with supporting pictures. :wink:

Tomorrow I'm going to reinstall the foam seat, seat heater & reinstall the seat skin. :smile:

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #775 · (Edited)
Thanks! :biggrin:

I think I'll do the write up on the passenger seat before I move on to the driver seat. There's way too much information & I don't want to overload the noggin... getting old(er) on Saturday! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 · (Edited)
I'm happy how the MODding came out, but the final test will be when it's back in the Forester. :icon_eek: If I do need to revert back, having taken the seats down to "bones" with lots of pictures, putting the weight sensor back in the original frame wouldn't be that difficult. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #779 · (Edited)

Take your time but hurry up!
It actually goes pretty fast once the occupant (weight) sensor bladder & circuit box is relocated to the STi base. Of course I also swapped the mounting base, but that's easy to do. :smile:

Today I reinstalled the passenger seat foam, seat heater & the skin. Not real difficult... almost fun, but since it was my first time, it took bit more time. Of course I was also taking pictures as I did each step.

As I thought, the seat back was a breeze. Unlike the passenger seat base, no sensors to slow up the process. I just relocated the seat heater from the original seat to the STi seat back. Again, I learned some things that I'll pass along on my write up. :wink:

I was going to install the passenger seat before dinner, but it was raining, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. To be truthful, I wanted to wait until tomorrow anyways. If the passenger weight sensor doesn't work correctly, I know it would bug me & I'd want to dig right into fixing it.

Once I verify everything is working correctly, I'll do my write up. Really no need to wait until the driver seat is done. Compared to the passenger seat, the driver seat will be a very easy job! :cool:

Bobby...

Links to related posts:

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
The driver's side is definitely a snap compared to the passenger side. Just remember to swap both of the seat belt buckles!

761 - 780 of 1782 Posts