Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

701 - 720 of 1782 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Sports XT 4EAT (former)
2,485 Posts
Sweet, Bobby! You should be able to sell your FXT seats for decent price. I sold mine on Craigslist for $200 to a Legacy owner... people like the all black look. :smile:

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
'05 STi seats it is for my Forester! :biggrin: I just bought a set of mint condition '05 STi seats, still bolted in the vehicle. Nonsmoking & no food allowed in the vehicle. They're being shipped from the East coast, so the final inspection will be when I receive them. :icon_eek:

If you're wondering. Yes, they were expensive, but IMO, they're worth the cost (to me). :wink:

Bobby...
Just follow what Andy and I did to his seats and you won't have any airbag issues.

If I had a WRB Forester I'd have the blue STi carpet, and the blue/black STi seats. I'd even have a shop redo the rear seat to match, and replace the black on the armrest with blue alcantara from a wrecked STi seat. I've seen ones with blown airbags go for $100.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #703 ·
Sweet, Bobby! You should be able to sell your FXT seats for decent price. I sold mine on Craigslist for $200 to a Legacy owner... people like the all black look. :smile:
Thanks for the suggestion! :cool: I thought you had to use the passenger seat on the Sti frame for the airbag issue? Didn't that leave XT passenger seat incomplete? :confused:

Just follow what Andy and I did to his seats and you won't have any airbag issues.

If I had a WRB Forester I'd have the blue STi carpet, and the blue/black STi seats. I'd even have a shop redo the rear seat to match, and replace the black on the armrest with blue alcantara from a wrecked STi seat. I've seen ones with blown airbags go for $100.
I looked over the write up. Kinda wish there were pictures on the removal of the skin to remove & install the seat heaters. :smile:

I'll have to see how the seats look in the cabin & decide what other touches of blue are needed. :wink:

Bobby...
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion! :cool: I thought you had to use the passenger seat on the Sti frame for the airbag issue? Didn't that leave XT passenger seat incomplete? :confused:
No, we swapped the bases on the passenger seats. So the set I was left with was my original driver's seat plus my passenger seat on a WRX base. It makes them slightly mismatched (the driver's seat is higher than the passenger seat) but the guy who bought them didn't care much.

His Leggy was older and didn't have a weight sensor or heater switches so that wasn't an issue either.

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts

I looked over the write up. Kinda wish there were pictures on the removal of the skin to remove & install the seat heaters. :smile:

I'll have to see how the seats look in the cabin & decide what other touches of blue are needed. :wink:

Bobby...
Removing the skins/heaters is super easy. There are a couple screws holding the trim on, 4 bolts holding the seat back to the lower frame, and the cloth is all held on with plastic clips. You should have no issues figuring it out.

One thing I'd highly recommend it that you use zipties to put the seat back together instread of those stupid hog rings.

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #706 ·
Removing the skins/heaters is super easy. There are a couple screws holding the trim on, 4 bolts holding the seat back to the lower frame, and the cloth is all held on with plastic clips. You should have no issues figuring it out.

One thing I'd highly recommend it that you use zip-ties to put the seat back together instead of those stupid hog rings.
Did the seat heater pads affect how the seat fabric fits onto the seat (lumps)? Are there any ties on the heater pads, or do they just sit on the foam? :confused:

I'll use zip ties. I read on your other posts where you said zip ties were the way to go. :wink:

I'll start with the driver seat & do the passenger seat last. :smile:

I figure it'll be a week or so before my seats are delivered. :icon_eek:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #707 ·
No, we swapped the bases on the passenger seats. So the set I was left with was my original driver's seat plus my passenger seat on a WRX base. It makes them slightly mismatched (the driver's seat is higher than the passenger seat) but the guy who bought them didn't care much.

His Leggy was older and didn't have a weight sensor or heater switches so that wasn't an issue either.
Got it! It sounds much easier than I'd envisioned. :cool:

Bobby...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The seat heater pads are super thin. They are made of fabric and have extra "tabs" that go between the foam sections and that's where you secure them with the zip ties. No lumps or anything as long as you secure them correctly and snip the zip ties so there's nothing that could stick out. It's pretty easy to figure out once you see them.

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #709 · (Edited)
6000 Posts!

I just noticed I've reached 6000 Posts, so I decided to add a screen snapshot to my Member Journal! :cool:

Bobby...
January 21, 2010

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #710 ·
The seat heater pads are super thin. They are made of fabric and have extra "tabs" that go between the foam sections and that's where you secure them with the zip ties. No lumps or anything as long as you secure them correctly and snip the zip ties so there's nothing that could stick out. It's pretty easy to figure out once you see them.
Thanks for information! Now I'm getting ansty to get started on this MOD! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #711 · (Edited)
Special Tool - 42099AE000

I added this tool to my collection today! :cool:

The fuel tank quick connect fittings don't require this tool. For some reason, Subaru decided to use a different type fitting on the engine fuel lines. Those require this tool to release the quick connect fittings. :confused:

Bobby...
Special Tool - 42099AE000

Attachments

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
I started with my passenger seat first. I figure if you screw that one up, it isn't the one your sitting on!

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #713 ·
I figured the driver's seat was the easiest. :wink: BTW, did you pull the driver's seat out & in thru the rear hatch? :confused:

Bobby...

·
The Sub kit guy
13,008 Posts
Andy did in his car, but I didn't in either of my cars. I have two car seats in each, and it is a hassle to remove them. If you go thru the door and have tint, roll your windows down first. I scratched my tint in my XT.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
Welcome to the 6,000 club :) I got here not to long ago myself

Nice tool, though we won't be using that much. They should just give them to us for free >_<

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #718 · (Edited)
Andy did in his car, but I didn't in either of my cars. I have two car seats in each, and it is a hassle to remove them. If you go thru the door and have tint, roll your windows down first. I scratched my tint in my XT.
I pulled my seats out through the hatch. Just remove the rear headrests and put the seats down. :)
When I did the seats in the '03X the passenger seat was a piece of cake, but the driver's seat was a PIA! No problem with the tint, but I wound up scratching the dash panel, which I replaced... got tired of looking at the scratch! :mad:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #719 ·
Welcome to the 6K club Bobby.

I cant wait to see photos of the seats installed!
Welcome to the 6,000 club :) I got here not to long ago myself

Nice tool, though we won't be using that much. They should just give them to us for free >_<
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

On my '07 they put those quick connect fittings on the fuel lines that attach to the engine. It's a different type connector from what they used on the '03X fuel tank connection, which doesn't require a tool to release. On the new fittings, you can't disconnect the quick connect fitting without the tool. :frown:

Bobby...

701 - 720 of 1782 Posts