Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

621 - 640 of 1782 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #623 ·
Bobby, it must be nice to get snow. We have had 2 storms, with maybe 2 inches per storm...I am ready for some snow.
I want snow! :icon_frown:
This time of year it'll be very cold & dry for a stretch when the wind is from Northeast. Then the wind direction will change to the Southwest, which brings the rain in from the coast. There's a transition period when it'll be freezing rain, which quickly changes to rain. Yesterday it was around 30* & perfect for snow! It caught everyone off guard, so it was a mess out there! :icon_eek:

The roads were clear when I ran errands today. I like the snow, but it's also nice when it doesn't hang around too long. :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
It's way too rainy to be outside today, so I figured it would be the perfect day to do the write up & post Part 4, the final part of my Audio Upgrade!

Part 4 will cover the removal of the double DIN factory/OEM head unit, installing the new Sony aftermarket single DIN head unit with an factory/OEM storage pocket. In addition, I'll be installing an add-on HD Radio, with the display unit mounted on a Subtle ashtray gauge bezel.

The preparation of the Sony head unit wiring harness can be viewed here.

Keep in mind the plastic dash material is VERY easy to scratch & very expensive to replace, so protect it with masking tape or with a cloth covering if there is any chance it can be damaged. It's better to take a little bit more time now, than having to live with an ugly scratch!

Bobby...

The parts list:
  • Sony CDX-GT610Ui head unit which has a USB port & hardwired iPOD cable to directly control an iPOD thru the head unit. These are no longer in production, but of all the head units I've used, this one is my favorite. As is the norm, it can still be found on e Bay! More details & pictures here.
  • Single DIN storage pocket, Subaru part# 66128SA040.
  • Directed Electronics DMHD1000 HD Radio. More details & pictures here.
  • Subtle Solutions ashtray gauge bezel. You can get more information here.
This picture show the removal of the AT shift lever trim, which includes the ashtray. No tools are required to remove this trim. Start at the bottom, gently lift up with your fingers & it will pop up. Once you get it up high enough, you can unplug the power connect on the 12V outlet. Once that's done, you can lift off the entire assembly. The shift lever needs to be where it's shown for the trim to pull off. Some prefer to unscrew the shift lever knob, but I don't think it's necessary, especially if you position the selector as shown in the picture. Keep in mind, if you disconnect the battery, you won't be able to move the shift lever from P (park), unless you manually override the shift lever lock. This requires prying off the access cover on the shift lever trim & pressing a screwdriver into the hole, then the shift lever can be moved from P (park). In addition, if you plan on taking more than a day to complete the project, don't unlock all the doors with the remote, since the hatch can't be locked with the battery disconnected.​

This picture shows the shift lever trim removed, after the wire connectors were unplugged.

These pictures show the removal of the climate control panel. First remove the 2 screws that secure the bottom of the panel. Using a flat trim removal tool, pop the panel out. You'll need to work your way up on both sides. This can be difficult if this is the first time the panel has been removed. Work slowly & don't force anything. When you pry on the right location, the panel will pop out.​

I can't stress how easy it is to remove this panel, compared to the manual controls, which require cables to be released under the dash! With the automatic climate control, all you need to do is to unplug 2 wire plugs shown & of course the wire plug on the hazard switch. It's very easy to forget to reconnect the hazard switch, so if your turn signals don't works after installing your new head unit, you know where to look! The blue trim tool on the right picture is being used to hold the panel out so the picture could be taken.​

This picture shows the head unit released (4 screws) & the wire plugs being removed.

This picture shows the mounts being removed so it can be transferred to the new head unit.

The upper picture shows the Sony head unit with the mounting brackets installed. You will use the hardware that comes with the aftermarket head unit to attach the brackets.

This picture shows the factory/OEM single DIN storage pocket about to be secured to the mounting bracket.

These pictures show the Sony head unit & storage pocket reinstalled in the vehicle. I prefer a head unit with a removable faceplate. When it's removed, it doesn't make a tempting target for thieves.​

This upper picture shows the display panel for the HD Radio. I used the Subtle ashtray gauge bezel to mount it on. Instead of painting the bezel, I used black industrial plastic overlay. It's much more durable than paint & really wasn't that difficult to install.​

** Update **
The HD Radio display panel has been relocated to vacate that location for another MOD. The detailed write up starts here.

This picture shows the HD Radio, which I wedge mounted using a piece of blue foam.

Here's the finished audio upgrade. Of course you'd have to view Part 1 thru 4 to see everything that went into this project. Links to Part 1 thru 4 are on the bottom of this post.​

Here's one last picture showing the mess I had when everything was torn apart during the installation. :icon_eek:

Related posts.
The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)
Getting to hopefully do my head unit replacement this weekend. I remembered this awesome post so I wanted to bump it again.

Bobby, awesome job!!!

dm

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #625 ·
Thanks for the compliment! Sharing the details of a MOD is almost as much fun as doing the MODding. :biggrin:

I'll be looking forward to viewing your installation on your Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
08 Audi RS4 6 speed man
156 Posts
getting to those 2 climate control clips in the back were a pain...

i always like the forester din, put one in my STI to store my ipod.

·
Registered
2010 X Limited
63 Posts
Sweet workmanship! Just think of the money you saved, not to mention knowing it was done right!

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #628 ·
Thanks! For me, more than the fun of doing the job, it's knowing it was done right... the way I want it done. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do you know the XT badge part numbers?

I decided that I wanted the C pillar AWD badges on my '07 like the earlier models, so I ordered a set. To my surprise, this is what I got. :icon_eek:

I opened the top box first (figures) & thought it looked odd, then it dawned on me that I was looking at 4WD & not AWD! :lol:

Bobby...

Bobby - a very enjoyable upgrade for readers... would you happen to have any idea of how I could get either an "XT" or "XT 2.5" badge?

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #630 ·
A new 2.5XT badge can be spendy, bought one for '03X when I added an AVO turbo kit. You might put a post in the "Parts Wanted" area of the forum. Some members debadge their rides may be willing to give or sell it to you. Your other option is to contact one of the forum vendors, some are with Subaru dealerships. :wink:

Bobby...

·
Registered
121 Posts
A new 2.5XT badge can be spendy, bought one for '03X when I added an AVO turbo kit. You might put a post in the "Parts Wanted" area of the forum. Some members debadge their rides may be willing to give or sell it to you. Your other option is to contact one of the forum vendors, some are with Subaru dealerships. :wink:

Bobby...
I found it... Collision Catalog - 2007 - Subaru - Forester
Lift gate, Exterior trim, Nameplate, 2.5xt, 2.5xt - 2006-08 - 2006-08
$23.88!

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #633 · (Edited)
Not completely sure what you want, since you call it a "pocket"? :confused:

The upper dash double DIN gauge/navigation POD, H0010SA950ML & costs around $70/USD.

The single DIN storage pocket is called "pocket instrument", 66128SA040 & costs around $20/USD.

Bobby...

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! Sharing the details of a MOD is almost as much fun as doing the MODding. :biggrin:

I'll be looking forward to viewing your installation on your Member Journal. :wink:

Bobby...
Still have more images to take but here's a teaser image with a printout of your instructions near by!!

dm
► Edit - moderator's note - the images on this post have been saved to the forum server.

Bobby...

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
Looking good! Make sure you take lots of pictures. Half the fun is adding the information into your Member Journal, or MODding Journal, as I call it! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #637 · (Edited)
bbottomley's "Standard Disclaimer"

Thanks Brian! :biggrin:

Here are some words of wisdom from Bruce (bbottomley). Hopefully he won't mind me using it. :wink:

Standard Disclaimer​
"There could be differences among models, model years, transmission or engine types, national markets, or even within a model year. Remember, this is an international forum. Exterior lights and any device that employs the radio spectrum may be subject to differences due to national or even local regulations. Subaru's official wiring diagrams have occasionally been found to be incorrect. Test everything before proceeding. Follow these instructions at your own risk. May contain peanuts. YMMV!"

·
Administrator
40,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #639 · (Edited)
Nordskog fuel pressure sender installation

This entry to my MODding Journal (Member Journal) shows how I installed the Nordskog fuel pressure sender. The fuel pressure sender is for the Nordskog fuel pressure gauge that I installed in my gauge POD MOD. The gauge POD MOD can be viewed on the links below. :wink:

Bobby...

The upper picture shows the fuel pressure gauge "T" fitting. This is a quality fitting which I found on e Bay. The lower picture shows the fuel pressure sender installed using yellow Teflon thread sealing tape. I should note here that white Teflon thread sealing tape can be used, but the yellow Teflon tape is twice the thickness & is recommended for any application that comes in contact with a petroleum based product.

5/16"x1/8" NPT gauge "T"

The upper picture shows the steel corner brace as it comes out of the bag. The lower picture shows the modified corner brace, which will support the installed fuel pressure sender. Note that any cut edges need to be painted or it will rust.​

The upper picture shows the air pump located near the fuel lines. There is yellow arrow pointing to an unused hole on the air pump support. The previously modified bracket will be secured using this unused hole. The lower picture shows the fuel line cut & the fuel pressure gauge "T" being installed. Just for information, the short piece of fuel line costs nearly $50/USD & you need a special Subaru tool to release the fitting from the manifold pipe! Best not to make an error cutting it.​

These two pictures show the fuel pressure sender "T" fitting inserted into the fuel line.

These pictures show the wires that will attach to the fuel pressure sender. The black wire connects to ground & the white wire connects to the gauge located in the gauge POD. On the left picture the wire terminals have been crimped, soldered & coated with NO-OX-IDE "A" terminal grease. Dielectric grease could also be used. The right picture shows shrink tubing installed over the greased terminal & insulation, creating a water proof connection.​

These last two pictures show the fuel pressure sender secured to the modified corner brace bracket with a stainless steel hose clamp. It can't be seen on the picture, but a piece of thin tubing was placed over the modified corner brace bracket to cushion the fuel pressure sender. On the right picture I placed a white arrow pointing to the hardware securing the fuel pressure sender support bracket.​

Attachments

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,736 Posts
Once again, another sweet write up. I like the cardboard box usage as well.

dm

621 - 640 of 1782 Posts