41 - 60 of 1766 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks & thanks for the mud flap offer, but I've already ordered a set. :smile:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
you were like 10 minutes away from the coolest people on earth and you couldnt even send a pm to meet up :icon_cry::biggrin:

maybe next time.
the 07s look huge next to the 04/05s

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
** Update! **​
I decided not to continue adding to this list, since the list would be endless. Instead, I'll just add the MODding parts to the "MODding parts box" list with links to the posts. :smile:

The MODding list starts...
  • Not really a MOD, but I needed a set of carpet mats. I ordered these today from Jackie (SubaruPartsGirl), a supporting vendor here on the forum. They're on sale here on Jackie's thread. There are lots of other goodies for sale as well, so I'll add them here as the purchase is made. :smile:
  • I just purchased a brand new Kenwood KSC-SW10 powered subwoofer on e Bay for $143, including shipping! You can view it here & here.
  • The stock head unit must go! I just bought a Sony CDX-GT610Ui on e Bay. You can view it here & here.
  • Directed Electronics add on HD Radio. This was a spare that I had purchased. You can view it here.
  • ScanGauge II, can't be without this device! This is also a spare that I bought on sale. You can view it here.
    You can view the installation in my '03 here. or in my '07 here.
  • I really like the Magnaflow muffler on my '03 X, so I'm going to have one custom installed with a stainless steel 3" Wicked (brand) tip. It will be an axle back with the exiting resonator. If the sound isn't right, the resonator will be replaced. :smile:
  • I'm looking at a 17" clean & simple 6 spoke in gloss black, with a polished lip. Yes, I still want a bit of shine! :wink: More details to follow...
  • Okay, here's one I like, but I'm not sure of the quality? :confused: XXR 507W - Blue Wheels. If I go with a lipped wheel, it gives the impression of being smaller, so I'll go with an 18" wheel & 235/45 rubber. :cool:
    Update! The wheels & tires have been selected & installed! :biggrin:
  • I decided to add an oil catch can. I have an MFactory oil catch can on the '03, so the '07 will get the same treatment. :wink:
More to be added & I will reorganize the list into groups as it grows... :wink:

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
you were like 10 minutes away from the coolest people on earth and you couldnt even send a pm to meet up :icon_cry::biggrin:

maybe next time.
the 07s look huge next to the 04/05s
It was all "hush, hush"! :wink: Besides, after driving 200+ miles & having to drive it again, we just wanted to get the business done & go home. :smile:

Yes, the styling change does make the later model look bigger, but if you compare my '03 with the '07, you can see how they just extended the nose over the bumper, which makes it look longer... lots more plastic! :frown:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
ScanGauge II is installed!

MOD #1 is complete! :biggrin:

Okay, the big day is here! It's much cooler today, so I can do the installation outside in comfort. This will be the first MOD to my recently purchased '07 FSXT! The ScanGauge II is a nifty device that I would not want to be without. Other than finding a place to mount it, it's pretty much plug & play. :cool:

To see how I fabricate the mounting bracket & how to attach the the ScanGauge II to the bracket, view my write up here: My son's '03 X ScanGauge II mounting v2 :wink:

Bobby...

For my installation, the Scangauge II cable needs to be routed behind the gauge cluster trim. 2 screws need to be removed. The bottom just clips in. Once the screws are removed, it will pull right out. Dropping the steering wheel down will make removing the dash gauge cluster trim easier. Don't force it, it will come out easily once you have it oriented correctly.​

The dash bottom panel also needs to dropped down to ease the routing of the ScanGauge II cable. There are 2 screws on the bottom & the top just clips on. After removing the lower 2 screws, pull the top loose & let it hang down.​

Use a pair of side cutters to clip a small amount off the left side of the gauge cluster trim, where the ScanGauge II cable will pass thru. It's better to remove too little, than too much. :wink:​

Use a file to smooth the cut end & do a test fit. It may take several test fits before it's just right. When it's right, the ScanGauge II cable should still be able to move when the gauge cluster trim is reinstalled.​

This picture shows the trim is reinstalled & the cable ready for the ScanGauge II.

Plug in the ScanGauge II & slide the bracket into the dash. It should be noted here, for security, the ScanGauge II can be removed in just a few seconds & only the cable end will be visible.​

This picture shows the ScanGauge II installed.

The ScanGauge II installed & in operation.

One last picture from farther back.

The ScanGauge II cable is longer than you'll need. I just rolled up the excess & tied it up under the dash to keep it out of the way. :wink:

Related post.The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found :icon_arrow: here. (post #124)

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yes, he wants it, but I still have an attachment to it. :smile: I still think it looks pretty good (love the color scheme), but the '07 will grow on me as the MODding progresses. :biggrin:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Windshield Replaced!

Not normally called a MOD, but it was on the to do list.

Thanks to @Smooth recommendation, I called MS Glass to schedule an appointment. I indicated that I was "very picky" & to tell me up front if there are any quality upgrades or charges. She said nothing additional & that she would let the installer know of my expectations. To my surprise, I was asked, would within an hour be okay? I went on to say, I'm located in Newberg & the replacement would have to be done at my residence. The technician was at my house early & he had to pick up the glass at Beaverton, Carr Subaru!

The installation went like clock work. Jose, the technician was very friendly & was more than willing to let me ask questions, watch (closely) & take pictures.

The glass used was Pilkington Solar & the trim around the windshield was replaced & not reused. Jose said the trim was not normally replaced, but he was told I was picky, so he didn't want any issues. I wasn't charged for the new trim.

Overall, this was a very pleasant operation, even if I did have to pay for it. No insurance yet.

Bobby...

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #124)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The windshield had a bad chip, almost a crack, but what was worse, was the pitting! It was almost impossible to see if the sun hit it at a specific angle! :icon_eek:

There is no way the Forester could have a pitted windshield, with a near perfect paint. Yes, I suspect there was some repainting, but they didn't change the windshield to complete the job. :confused:

Still, I'm liking my '07 more & more, so I really don't mind these minor problems. On the positive side, I now have a "perfect" windshield! :biggrin:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
The MODding parts are slowly being delivered! :biggrin: This came in yesterday, a great e Bay find. Brand new, $143 shipped!

It will reside under the front passenger seat. I plan on using Velcro hooks, attached to bottom, to secure it to the carpet. This method worked perfectly in my '03 X. As part of the MODding, I will be adding a power switch so it can be turned off when I listen to talk radio. I'm not sure where the switch will be placed yet, since where I placed the switch in my '03 X is occupied by the seat heater switches... :confused:

I can't install it until the head unit I arrives, so I get to trip over it until then! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

Attachments

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Very nice! Since you have a big row of blanks on the left, pick up an OEM fog switch and wire that to turn on/off the sub. The light logo on it kind of looks like a speaker playing.

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Very nice! Since you have a big row of blanks on the left, pick up an OEM fog switch and wire that to turn on/off the sub. The light logo on it kind of looks like a speaker playing.
I second this recommendation!
Thanks guys. I was thinking about that spot & I do hate having "blank" covers. :wink: With no fogs or windshield heaters & the cruise switch moved to the cruise stalk (as it should be), it's almost all blanks there! :frown:

OEM/factory switches would look good, but I recall a post where the MODder installed aftermarket switches there & they looked very nice. I'll have to search for that post. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Registered
07 FXT sport
1,742 Posts
Ive yet to see an aftermarket switch that doesn't look out of place.

+3 for the oem fog switch, and sea scooby is right, with a hand over one eye it does look like a speaker.

nice work, btw!!!

dm

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Yes, I have to agree, but they're expensive & kinda difficuilt to wire up (correctly). I used one in my '03 to be able to switch the DRL on or off. I've got some time yet, so I'll think on this. :smile:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks! :biggrin:

It needs lots of work before it can keep up with your ride! :wink:

Bobby...

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Installing the roof crossbars

My roof crossbar clamp screws & the carpet set was delivered today. I bought them from Jackie, @SubaruPartsGirl, Annapolis Subaru, a supporting vendor here on the forum. :biggrin:

The '07 FSXT came with the roof crossbars (not installed), but one of the clamp screws were missing. :frown:

I know there members on the forum that don't like to keep the roof crossbars on, but to me, they finish off the top. My opinion of course. :wink:

I ran into an issue installing the roof crossbars, the small plastic pads were missing! :mad: To my surprise, they cost $12/USD, which I thought was high, but the price was for one! They're $12/USD each & I need 4! :icon_eek:

There's no way I'm going to pay that much for a little piece of rubber. After thinking about this for awhile, I remembered some scrap vinyl mat that I'd saved. The following pictures show how I matched them to the pads on my son's '03 X. They don't snap in, so you have to position them manually, but to my surprise, they held in the clamp like the factory/OEM pads. The cost was right, free! :biggrin:

The '03 X sample clamp & pad is on the left, the clamp on the right is for the '07 FSXT. I cut the vinyl mat as shown. When installed, the ribbed side will face the clamp & the smooth side towards the roof rail.

No roof crossbars.

With roof crossbars.

Attachments

·
Administrator
37,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Removing "the dirty diaper"

The removal of the plastic engine undercover is controversial, unless its removal is to replace it with a metal one.

To do a detailed inspection on my new to me '07 FSXT, I removed the plastic engine undercover. What I suspected might be oil leaking was just sloppy oil changing. It could have been much worse!

I discovered rust on exhaust heat shield fasteners & other unprotected metal parts, which was a surprise to me! I don't have these issues on my '03 X. I should note here that the engine plastic undercover on the '03 X was removed. Or more correctly, was "gone" when I inherited the '03 X with under 4K miles on it.

IMO, with the plastic engine undercover removed, the lower engine components can more easily dry when wet. I suspect the plastic engine under cover can trap the hot moist air next to the metal parts, promoting a rust friendly environment. :icon_eek:

With the plastic engine undercover removed, changing the oil & filter is so much easier. Another plus is the ability to make a visual inspection while doing the oil & filter change. This may allow spotting problems before they become serious.

I'll let you guess if I reinstall the plastic engine undercover...

Bobby…
I removed this when I bought the '07 FSXT, which was 2 years old at the time. Note how oily the plastic is from spilled or leaking oil!

The Table of Contents for my Member Journal can be found ► here. (post #124)

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

Attachments

41 - 60 of 1766 Posts