Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading one of my dad's copies of Bimmer magazine earlier, and noticed an article about BMW's new small SUV, the X1. The author of the article immediately pointed out that BMW was trying to fill a similar niche, even citing the Outback several times in comparison.

2010 BMW X1 - Top Speed

Oddly enough, it even resembles it slightly. Looks better though, of course... it's a BMW. :lol: If only they'd shed their luxury image in the US (I want a cloth-upholstered BMW, yes), cut the price down some in doing so, and give us one of those diesels stateside....

If they do that, they may win me over when I'm ready to buy a new car in 4 years, unless Subaru gets their crap together and brings the diesel over.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
It's cool. What's it priced at?

I'd love a bimmer, I just can't afford to maintain one. Hideous? Have you see the Tribeca LOL?

Stan

·
Registered
2006 X Premium
438 Posts
i wonder if it will have awd?!
Yup, it has that XDrive thingy as an option. Speaking of options, the gas and diesel are BOTH coming to the US in 2011. Looks like the x1 is what the Forester could be if Subaru went upscale and stopped dragging it's feet. The diesel makes 174 HP and 258 ft. lbs. of torque. Not bad.
BMW is attempting to create a vehicle for every market with a 52 model lineup.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol. I might have to start saving my pennies....

I hated BMW's too, until I drove one. That's generally the way it works, especially if you can spend a day or a road trip with one. After 8 hours on the highway, I was sold on my dad's Z4 M Coupe. N/A, 340+hp, 8k RPM redline. Did not really beat me to death, even being the top of the line Z4 performance model. GLUED to cloverleaf's.

Last time I was at the dealer we took an X6 for a spin just to see what it felt like, and I was pleasantly surprised. IMO, X-drive is too complicated to be reliable, especially if you follow the BMW (seriously lacking) maintenance schedule, but I could be wrong. The thing that I love about dad's car is the lack of a bunch of the electrical wizardry. There is some there, like individual throttle bodies, but it has no iDrive, or funky active diff, etc...

I'll be curious to see how the X1 does, and where the pricepoint is. It'll be difficult to compete with Subaru if that's what they're aiming for, because I can't see it starting lower than 28-30k even with cloth seats and 2WD.

·
Registered
2006 V50 T5 6spd Manual
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, maintenance is free for the first 50k miles. :wink:
It's free because they don't do anything! :chair: :lol: Oil change every 25k miles? That's cheap for them, and guarantees that the typical customer will trade in their car at 75k and upgrade to the new model.

Granted, dad can take his car in every 5k miles if he wants, and they'll do it for free, but they complain about it.

If you maintain them, just like a Subaru, they will last. BMW's running on the 'old school' Bimmer magazine MX schedule have hit over 200k miles without major issues (there's normally a water pump failure somewhere in there). I did a lot of research on their reliability when I was car shopping last summer, and I almost ended up with a 330xi over a Forester or what I ended up with, the Outback. Roo might know more about that than me though... he worked around them at some point, IIRC? :confused:

·
Registered
Forester X
288 Posts
I hated BMW's too, until I drove one. That's generally the way it works, especially if you can spend a day or a road trip with one.
So true. You gotta drive one to understand.

My favorite car I have ever driven was an M3. That thing was the perfect combo of comfort, aggression, speed, etc...

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
I'm sure it's a good car but it's smaller than you might think, about a foot shorter than an Outback, so it's hardly competing against that. Probably a closer match for the Forester size-wise (but still a tad smaller, I would guess. X3 is nearer Forester size).

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
That video is absolutely worthless!!! It is just a bunch of road noise and some rolling shots. Heck the guy in the car isn't even giving any feedback on how the car feels, handles, accelerates, stops, sounds anything that would make you want to drive one. I guess if it would have been a Ferrari or muscle car and the car sounded amazing then the vid would have made me drool. Unfortunately the car has NOOOOOOOO exhaust note and all you end up hearing is the tire noise. Oh and I don't like the car either.:biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts