Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this actually worked REALLY well.

I HATE having wires strewn through my car. So when I want to listen to Pandora with my Motorola Droid in the cubby, it's annoying at best.

I like the Parrot idea, but I despise having a non-OEM look, and having a black box stuck to the console isn't an idea that excited me.

So I was looking around and found a Belkin Audio receiver. I was ALMOST set to buy one... until I found that there was no possibility of a DC power supply. Back to the drawing board.

I kept hunting down these bluetooth receivers, and I kept coming up empty. Some, like those little pendants, only used batteries. Some, like that Belkin and a model by Sony and one by Motorola, ONLY allowed use of their proprietary AC adapter.

I was about to give up, when I stumbled across this:

BluBridge mini-jack Rx | Miccus Wireless Audio Solutions

Powered by a Mini-USB jack, AND it works when plugged in.

I did a dry-test at my desk, and there was no perceptible loss of quality. It works.

The best part? The droid discerns A2DP from a standard headset with mic. So media is the only output. Phone rings? Answer it like normal.

I'm pretty excited! My only reservation is actually with my Droid. I SHOULD be able to simply turn Bluetooth on, on the phone, and have it automatically sync with the BluBridge. That doesn't seem to be the case. It's a measly extra step, but a better compromise than having a cable strung around.

The receiver is super compact, about 1.5" long, .75" tall, and .5" deep or so. It comes with a direct adapter, so it'll plug straight into the Aux-In without flopping around in the console.

I really wish I had multiple outlets in the console so I could charge the phone AND plug the BluBridge in at the same time, but I'll live.

For $50, I think this is a GREAT investment. I have no immediate desire to use bluetooth to answer the phone and everything, so this was an awesome solution for me.

Eventually, I'll try and hack a Microsoft Sync system into the car, but until then I can now enjoy internet radio, in my car, completely wirelessly.

For those interested, Amazon had the best price. I ordered Sunday, it was on my door step Tuesday morning.

Used it for the first time in the car this morning. Works awesome!

I haven't gotten a call yet while it's synched, so I'm not 100% positive that it won't try to answer via bluetooth. We'll see. That's not a big deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT
34 Posts
Bluetooth

I just received my new bluetooth setup in the mail last night and installed. Paid $30 on Amazon and already realizing it was well worth it. Plugs right into the power outlet in the front, and ran the Aux cable under the center console to the Aux input in the back. Have paired up my iPod touch and Phone at the same time. When you use the phone, puts the iPod on mute.

Still trying to get the steering wheel controls to work, but haven't had a chance to play around with it much. Well worth the money! I'll post some pics soon!

amazon.com/Kensington-LiquidAUX-Bluetooth-Remote-Phones/dp/B0011UIX2K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1271868446&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Bluetooth Car Kit with Remote for Music Phones: Cell Phones & Service

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That link shows $65. How'd you pay $30? If it was only $30, I would have definitely gone that way!

I DID get a call today while in the car, and it mutes the audio and allows me to take the call normally (just like I wanted), something going straight to the aux-in wouldn't let me do.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no idea. I'm using it with my Motorola Droid, not my iPod. With the advent of internet radio, I almost never listen to my iPod anymore.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,071 Posts
I have a set of headphones that came with something Similar, the headphones are BT and you pair it with a transceiver w/ a mini jack with BT. I've only used it with the headphones though I wonder if it will work like the BluBridge? I like the idea, my new Legacy has a BT head unit and I can listen to Pandora and us the phone through it. I really like the feature a lot.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait a second.... I thought you had a Forester...

I would have loved for Bluetooth to be an option on my 09, but saddly that was a feature not destined for any but the 2010's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts