Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Now that I have a whopping 160kms on my new Foz. Can someone tell me if we really need to wait for the "blue temp light" to turn off before driving?

This morning it took approx 3min to turn off. I can only imagine when it's -30c outside it would take 30min to turn off.

For the record I have a 2010 Foz 2.5XT Limited (Turbo).

Thanks,

D.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
35 Posts
The Blue Light is just like the old Temperature guage, its to let you know the engine is cold, so just keep the rpm's down until is goes off.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,847 Posts
Ok. Now that I have a whopping 160kms on my new Foz. Can someone tell me if we really need to wait for the "blue temp light" to turn off before driving?

This morning it took approx 3min to turn off. I can only imagine when it's -30c outside it would take 30min to turn off.

For the record I have a 2010 Foz 2.5XT Limited (Turbo).

Thanks,

D.
This thread might be worth reading. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/blue-coolant-temperature-light-how-long-before-clears-66702/#post738423 :wink:

Bobby...

'07 FSXT MODding Journal
'03 X MODding Journal

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
Can someone tell me if we really need to wait for the "blue temp light" to turn off before driving?

Why the hell would you wait for the light to go out before driving :huh:

Do you wait for the needle on the temp gauge to rise to normal before driving your other cars...

Cant believe how much of an issue this is on here :shake:

·
Registered
2010 Forester
43 Posts
I feel the same way about not waiting for the blue light and just drive the car till the light goes out.

We have 7 months of the blue light special here; I never waited for the temp. gauge in my 2003 Forester to say it was "OK to drive it" and I'm not waiting for my 2010 Forester's light to go out.

Shouldn't SOA be able to design engines that can run at reasonable low rpms before warming them for 5 minutes every time they are driven in winter conditons? - to me that is a waste of time and increased fuel costs.

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
I was TOLD by my Subaru sales rep that I should wait for the blue icon to go out, before driving. Thankfully, I considered the source and disreguarded his advice. But that's a whole, nother, touchy subject. :chair:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
382 Posts
I told my wife to wait if for no other reason than if the thing blows up before it's warm, SOA can't deny to warranty it based upon driving while the blue light is on, after all, who knows what information those little black boxes store and exactly when they are storing it? I might feel differently if I were in a cold climate with no autostart however, lol.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
382 Posts
How can they deny warranty when they don't specify this in the owner's manual?
In the manual under "starting and operating" they imply that one should wait for the vehicle to warm up under number 6 by writing,

"Confirm that all warning and indicator lights have gone out after the engine has started, The fuel injection system automatically lowers the idle speed as the engine warms up. While the engine is warming up, make sure the selector lever is at the "P" or "N" position and that the parking brake is engaged"

To me, the little blue water temp light is one of the "indicator lights" that they are referring to, especially when they go on to say, "while the engine is warming up" and I wonder what SOA has to say on the matter.

I don't have to worry about it much, my wife will refuse to drive a car that's cold inside anyway and she has the autostart. Right now we are in Florida but are going to move to central Illinois where it has gotten down to -40F (-80F windchill) when I was growing up there.

I still remember what my 1979 302 V8 sounded like when I started it that morning, WHHHHHAAAAAAAAA, WHHHAAAAAA, WHHAAAA, WHAAA, BUUUUUBBUUUUUUUBUUUUBUUUUBUUU, with me feathering the gas the whole time and praying she didn't die because once you squirt tar into the cylinders, you better keep her going till she warms up or it's all over but the freezing, lol. I sat in the car and expelled my breath into my coat to try and keep warm while the engine was warming up enough to drive it and I was literally convulsing from the cold the whole time, lol.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why the hell would you wait for the light to go out before driving :huh:

Do you wait for the needle on the temp gauge to rise to normal before driving your other cars...

Cant believe how much of an issue this is on here :shake:
Hey Man,

This is my first turbo car and this dumb blue temp light has never been on any of my other cars and since my dealer and manual had conflicting messages I thought I would send the word out here. This is not an issue, mere curiosity.

D.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
In the manual under "starting and operating" they imply that one should wait for the vehicle to warm up under number 6 by writing,

"Confirm that all warning and indicator lights have gone out after the engine has started, The fuel injection system automatically lowers the idle speed as the engine warms up. While the engine is warming up, make sure the selector lever is at the "P" or "N" position and that the parking brake is engaged"
Waiting for the lights to go out is to check if they're faulty or there is a system problem. As far as the warmup the wording is a little confusing but it doesn't implicitly state "do not drive until the blue light goes out". I'm no lawyer but everything I've read about modern cars says to drive moderately until it reaches operating temp i.e. the light changes color or whatever to avoid prolonged idling and warm up time.

They would have a hard time proving that caused an engine failure unless they could prove you were redlining it immediately after start up.

·
Registered
2010 FORESTER 2.5XT LTD
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Waiting for the lights to go out is to check if they're faulty or there is a system problem. As far as the warmup the wording is a little confusing but it doesn't implicitly state "do not drive until the blue light goes out". I'm no lawyer but everything I've read about modern cars says to drive moderately until it reaches operating temp i.e. the light changes color or whatever to avoid prolonged idling and warm up time.

They would have a hard time proving that caused an engine failure unless they could prove you were redlining it immediately after start up.
Yes. You are nailing it right on the head. But when you read the manual after having your dealer tell you specifically "Don't drive the car until the blue light goes out!" you can see why some people will ask for second, third and fourth opinions on this ridiculous topic. I'm gonna put black electrical tape over that spot just like I did over the blinking clock on my VCR. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the help guys.

D.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
Yeah unfortunately by using an idiot light to keep you from overheating your car instead of a gauge SOA opened another can of worms.

I use the tape method for the TPMS. If you get a DVR it sets the clock automatically now. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts