Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer said that I must idle my 2010 FX until the blue temp icon goes off, or about 5 minutes, before I can drive away. If the outside temp is below 40 degrees F, that is.

Here in Minnesota, that's a lot of waiting. I usually wait a minute or two and drive off slowly. Is there anything to this rule?

Thanx for the advice. :confused:

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Don't know anything about the new model but think you must have got the wrong end of the stick from the dealer. That temperature is above freezing and should not prove a problem to any modern (or old) car. If what you say is correct then they wouldn't sell any cars!.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,091 Posts
you dont have to idle that long a few min to get the fluids warmed up should be good if your in a rush.

·
Registered
2000 2 Outbacks 1Man , 1 Auto
312 Posts
Best way to warm up a car is to drive off immediately at a gentle pace. Starting and then allowing an engine to just idle takes too long for the engine to reach operating temperature and will rapidly increase engine wear.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,521 Posts
My dealer said that I must idle my 2010 FX until the blue temp icon goes off, or about 5 minutes, before I can drive away. If the outside temp is below 40 degrees F, that is.

Here in Minnesota, that's a lot of waiting. I usually wait a minute or two and drive off slowly. Is there anything to this rule?

Thanx for the advice. :confused:
Here's another thread on this subject. http://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...ight-how-long-before-clears-66702/#post738423

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2010 Forester Diesel
62 Posts
Your dealer is wrong. According to the Owners Manual, Subaru recommend "keeping it under 3000 rpm", until the light goes out.

M

·
Registered
2011 Sage Green FXP 5 spd
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx you guys! I now consider myself well informed on the subject. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
270 Posts
Revving a cold engine is asking for problems. I start mine up and let it idle for about 10 to 15 seconds. then I drive away gently and try to keep the rpms low until it warms up.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Exactly. Instead of putting the C-H needle, they put an idiot light to tell you that when it is blue, don't beat it and that when the red light comes on, well you MIGHT have blown your engine!!!!

I like gages.....period.

·
2010 Forester XT 4EAT
1,118 Posts
Best way to warm up a car is to drive off immediately at a gentle pace. Starting and then allowing an engine to just idle takes too long for the engine to reach operating temperature and will rapidly increase engine wear.
Totally an opinion NOT a fact.
The engine will reach operating temperature just fine at idle and not have to pump cold thick oil through it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester LTD
86 Posts
The temperature in a winter morning here can easily hit -15'C. For a cold start, I usually idle until the rpm drops around 1000 then beginning driving, it's about 1 minute or 2, the light is still blue though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts