Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
whats the durability like on the bed liner? any fading?

I did it once on a $700 jeep, but am a little scared to try it on a car i still owe money on.
It's holding up nicely. I've had it on since December, and still no fading, even in the very intense southwestern sun (and my car lives outside). It holds up very well. It'll still show scrapes and such, but with a good wash, the majority of them disappear. And it went on VERY evenly. Everyone thinks the car came like that.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
A Little "Rock Climbing" Video:

Thread for Video Discussion: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/video-some-rock-climbing-77574/

We did a little "rock climbing" in the Forester today......and when I say rock climbing, I really just mean a trail with a ton of big rocks. :biggrin: Went out with a few friends up the Organ Mountain trail. We took it as far as we could before it started to get dark. The climb at the end of the video really surprised me...I had no idea the Foz was capable of it (and neither did any of my friends).

Setup: Completely Stock, balding Yokohama Geolanders, very worn struts, tired springs and no skid plate (still didn't need it).

·
Registered
04 Forester XT Rinspeed manual 5 speed
739 Posts
Great video!

Your really use your forester in rough terrain ;)

If you are doing this frequently you should think about a small lift and you really need better tires! General Grabber AT2 i would recommend!

But thanks to the spotter and your driving skills it worked out without having the above mentioned ;)

keep on making such videos!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Great video!

Your really use your forester in rough terrain ;)

If you are doing this frequently you should think about a small lift and you really need better tires! General Grabber AT2 i would recommend!

But thanks to the spotter and your driving skills it worked out without having the above mentioned ;)

keep on making such videos!
Thanks. Yep, a lift is in the planned as a future mod (either 1" or 2", depending on funds available). Also some tires, as well as 15" wheels to handle a better tire. And I'm also planning on cutting up the bumpers a bit (spare bumpers that is), and rigging up some better roof-mounted lighting.

Or I may just leave it as is, and get a Jeep as a dedicated offroader.......but we'll see. I like wheeling the Foz because it's not what everyone else is dong. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2004 XT
58 Posts
I really like you Forester; especially the blackout grill and push bar. I wish mine was as clean(actually you prove that yours can be damn dirty haha).

What's the diameter of your push bar?

·
Registered
2009 Forester LL Bean
22 Posts
Looks AWESOME. Love the video's too. Been watching and reading all day. Going to give a go at painting the front grill. But my first tester will be the door handle on the interior. My leg has rubbed the silver off and it looks terrible. Of course the dealer said "if you would have come in before the warranty ran out we would have replaced them". I call BS on that. Anyway, I'm in search for some paint, and adhesion from duplicolor.

Also interested in the LED lights and the head lights. Did you mount the LED's inside of the lens cover?

Once again, awesome detail.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Looks AWESOME. Love the video's too. Been watching and reading all day. Going to give a go at painting the front grill. But my first tester will be the door handle on the interior. My leg has rubbed the silver off and it looks terrible. Of course the dealer said "if you would have come in before the warranty ran out we would have replaced them". I call BS on that. Anyway, I'm in search for some paint, and adhesion from duplicolor.

Also interested in the LED lights and the head lights. Did you mount the LED's inside of the lens cover?

Once again, awesome detail.
Yep, I mounted the LED's inside the headlamps. Easy to do, just time consuming and having to be careful with baking the headlamps.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The Offroadification of the Foz

Thread for Offroadification Discussion: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f104/offroadification-begins-79375/#post877989

So, I've been wanting to really kit out the car lately with off road goodies, and it's starting......here's the jist of the list: :biggrin:

1. Tires (5 - BF Goodrich A/T 215/70 R16) - PENDING DELIVERY
2. KYB GR-2 Struts - PENDING DELIVERY
3. A "proper" 2-inch lift - PENDING DELIVERY
4. A "proper" heavy-duty oil pan/filter skid plate & tranny plate - DESIGN STAGE
5. Snorkel & Waterproofing - PENDING SALE/MODIFICATION
6. Modified low-profile F/R Bumpers - DESIGN STAGE
7. Roof-Mounted HID equipped Lamps - PENDING FITMENT
8. Tucked exhaust - FUTURE MOD
9. Transmission Cooler - PENDING MODIFICATION
10. 4EAT "lock" Modification - AWAITING BALLS TO ATTEMPT IT

So the Foz is getting some much needed love, along with other bits that it's needed for a while (engine mounts, tranny mount, bushings, fender liners, a good thorough cleaning, new exhaust gaskets (I have a couple leaks), etc.

I'm still trying to find CHEAP any-condition front and rear bumpers to cut up for use as my off-road set of bumpers, so if anyone has any cracked, nicked up, scraped bumpers, etc. they're willing to sell me for cheap, I would appreciate a PM. :biggrin:

I got a HELL of a good deal on the tires. Discount Tire wanted $163/each. Tires-Easy.com had a sale for $73/each.....so it was retarded not to buy new tires (as I need them), as well as a 5th tire for the spare (which will now have to live on the roof as it's too big to fit in the spare tire well anymore....I think)

Anyway, I'll be updating this thread regularly with the progress of the true off-roadification of the Foz, as well as keeping it my daily driver/commuter vehicle. I'm going for the full-on rally car look, but in keeping with practicality. Consider this a "sub-journal" specifically for the off-road mods of the car.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
10. 4EAT "lock" Modification - AWAITING BALLS TO ATTEMPT IT
Hahaha nice.

Man, I love reading through your journal. Just finished going all the way through it (including all the links, etc.), and it wasn't my first time doing so.:icon_rolleyes:

Any chance your fans will ever see stock wheel color again?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hahaha nice.

Man, I love reading through your journal. Just finished going all the way through it (including all the links, etc.), and it wasn't my first time doing so.:icon_rolleyes:

Any chance your fans will ever see stock wheel color again?
Actually, yes. My BIGGEST regretful mod was spraying those wheels. The photoshop I did looked SO much better than it actually turned out. So yes, here in the next couple of days, the wheels are going BACK to silver along with awesome new rubber (with raise white lettered tires). :biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
its not very difficult, aside from tint it was my first mod.
If you can PM me any useful tips I would appreciate it. I'm trying to find a switch that has an audible "beeping" to it when activated so I know when it's on.

·
Registered
2011 Forester XT 4EAT
733 Posts
If you can PM me any useful tips I would appreciate it. I'm trying to find a switch that has an audible "beeping" to it when activated so I know when it's on.
My friend and I worked out a module that has a LED light up when active. I will see if i can get the schematics and have them posted or even make a few, as I have some spare time.

The only true advice I can give is do as much research as you think is necessary. I do remember reading that it was a different pin for FXTs.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
190 Posts
Very good journal, Id love to swap wheels but I guess its more practical for me to just "gunmetal spray bomb" my stockers. :biggrin:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
^^ lol. You wouldn't have wanted mine anyway. There were so many nicks and pits, they really didn't look good.

Like I said, I HIGHLY regret spraying my wheels. I re-sprayed them silver earlier today and think it looks SO much better. I also had my BFG's mounted, and to be honest, they look AMAZING. I also can't believe how much higher the car sits now too.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
Actually, yes. My BIGGEST regretful mod was spraying those wheels. The photoshop I did looked SO much better than it actually turned out. So yes, here in the next couple of days, the wheels are going BACK to silver along with awesome new rubber (with raise white lettered tires). :biggrin:
Yay! Pics?

I didn't read carefully, and for a second thought you said "white wall tires." That would be interesting.

But seriously, bring on the pics.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
The Offroadification of the Foz

Thread for Offroadification Discussion: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f104/offroadification-begins-79375/#post877989

So, I've been wanting to really kit out the car lately with off road goodies, and it's starting......here's the jist of the list: :biggrin:

1. Tires (5 - BF Goodrich A/T 215/70 R16) - PENDING DELIVERY
2. KYB GR-2 Struts - PENDING DELIVERY
3. A "proper" 2-inch lift - PENDING DELIVERY
whats your "proper 2" lift? "

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
^^ Proper 2" lift meaning that it has the trailing arm spacers needed to "properly" pull off a 2" lift. With just strut tops, your rear tires would be pushed forward, almost touching the front of the rear wheel well. The trailing arm spacers re-center the wheel in the wheel well when lifted.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts