Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure my TD04H turbo seals are blown, for the last 6 months my car has been spewing blue smoke out the back upon pulling away when stone cold, last night whilst sat in traffic for 20 mins it started smoking so badly on idle you could hardly see the car in front!
Today I removed the intercooler and it dribbled oil as I tipped it up to get it out of the engine bay, the cold side to the turbo was soaked and even my 3 port boost solenoid has oil coming out of it :crazy:
So it looks like it's coming off and either going back up to Scotland for a rebuild or going in the bin if it costs too much.

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
Is that one of AndyF's hybrids??

I have a low miles TD04 I bought off GRD as a spare on my bench here in kent, if you need a loaner.

But then, by the time you drive here and back, you might just as well buy a spare from them.

Andy

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's an AndyF hybrid, only done 16k since fitting it :crazy:
GRD are about half a mile away from my house so I could walk there and pick up another, thanks anyway for offer :biggrin:
I have a TD04 in the shed but that came off a high miler UK turbo 2000 and is also wet side the cold side, my plans maybe changing now as I may just put the car back to standard and move on, had enough of £50 a week fuel bills..

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester Cross Sport AUTO
4,596 Posts
So sorry to hear that.

Sounds very like mine, AF did a sperb job rebuilding it.

Andy Forest as you know has a geat reputation, I'm sure he will help.

I have a TD04 your welcome to borrow.

Best of luck mate.

Regards.

AM

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have done further testing and it will not smoke on normal idle but as soon as I put the aircon on it starts smoking after about 2 mins, rev the engine and there is a huge cloud of oil smoke.
Once the aircon is switched off again it clears and will not smoke until aircon is switched back on, any ideas?

·
Registered
1999 Turbo S
286 Posts
I have done further testing and it will not smoke on normal idle but as soon as I put the aircon on it starts smoking after about 2 mins, rev the engine and there is a huge cloud of oil smoke.
Once the aircon is switched off again it clears and will not smoke until aircon is switched back on, any ideas?
No ideas I am afraid on the turbo issue but gutted to hear you have had problems mate.

I had your original TD04 off you a few years back and was always keen to hear how you got on with the TD04H as was always aiming to upgrade to one of those in the future. Not so sure now.

Lets us know how things pan out.

Agis (lapsed Surrey Scoobies)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoke to Andy Forrest this morning and he said if the seals were gone so would the bearing, if the bearings were gone then it would sound awful. He is 99% sure it won't be the turbo seals...

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked the oil and it is over an inch above the full mark on the dipstick, so it maybe a case of excessive oil being blown into the intake and collecting in the intercooler, giving lots of smoke at idle when cold.
Switching the aircon on adjusts the idle control valve to open the butterfly enough to allow the oil to dribble past and mix with the fuel and air to be burnt.
I will be changing the oil at the weekend so fingers crossed this is the problem..

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
I over-filled an old Astra I had once upon a time and it smoked like crazy when you put you're foot down. Drained some oil by removing the oil filter a couple of times and bingo, no more smoking so fingers it's the same for you.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I was going to suggest you tried the breather circuit first before condeming the turbo......

Simon

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just drained 5 litres of oil out, think this maybe my problem :crazy:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
Just drained 5 litres of oil out, think this maybe my problem :crazy:
No. Confusing enough the turbo engine needs 5l instead of 4l. :shrug:
I'm sure of this but I can check the manual to be sure. I just remember it to be 5l....

Edit: Just checked the manual. It states 4l on how to change motor oil. But it states 5L on capacity on the turbo engine vs 4l on the na.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For an oil change the engine needs 4.5Ltrs, for a rebuild the engine will need 5Ltrs as every part is empty of oil in that case..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not sure, I can only guess the excessive oil was getting blown out through the breathers and into the turbo intake, time will tell if I have no smoke at idle, the fact it only done it when it was cold is a good indication that it was settled oil in the intercooler dropping down overnight..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the good news is the turbo seals are not to blame, I took the intercooler off today to find the turbo outlet dry as a bone..
There was still a slight oil residue in the intercooler from being overfilled with oil..
I even fitted a new PCV valve today just in case, jobs a goodun, problem solved :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts