Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'05 FXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an '05 FXT with 97K. Turbo has been sounding strange, major loss of power, and boost gauge not going up like it should. Now it's burning oil and LOTS of smoke from exhaust.

Suspecting a blown turbo, and need to repair on a tight budget. 1) Does it sound like the turbo is shot? 2) Thinking of ordering a rebuilt turbo from TD04. Any experience with them? Other recommendations?

All thoughts and advice appreciated.

·
Registered
'05 FXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll contact them. I've also seen rebuild kits for the TD04. Seems it's the bearings that go? Also seeing rebuild kits for them, worth it?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 5spd
236 Posts
Definitely a blown turbo. I just experienced this on my FXT a few months ago....which I should be getting back today.

A couple things you MUST remember when fixing a blown turbo:
Your turbo probably died from oil starvation due to either low oil (unlikely) or a clogged banjo bolt. (A banjo bolt is a bolt that sits in your oil like to the turbo that has a small screen filter in it that makes sure no debris get into the turbo bearings).

In this case, there is now metal bits from the bearings in the turbo in your oil lines and oil pan. This is a big problem. You must drain the oil and remove the oil pan for cleaning. Once the new turbo is installed, do several rapid oil changes and oil filter changes to eliminate that metal from your oil and oil lines.

I had to get a brand new engine because the previous owner didn't do this when the turbo failed for him and it then caused a turbo failure and an engine failure after I bought it from him....within 700 miles of the first turbo replacement.

BUT, you blew your turbo. This is could be a blessing in disguise. A used TD04 turbo costs just slightly less than a VF series turbo which is readily available on the NASIOC forums. Couple that with a downpipe, intercooler, and AccessPort and you've just built a hot rod.

·
Premium Member
2008 FSXT 4EAT
4,143 Posts
I wouldn't bother buying a rebuilt TD04. You should be able to find a used one for less than $200 on here or Nasioc.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
There could be other causes of the symptoms you describe.....but turbo is most likely.

Simon

·
Registered
'05 FXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely a blown turbo. I just experienced this on my FXT a few months ago....which I should be getting back today.

A couple things you MUST remember when fixing a blown turbo:
Your turbo probably died from oil starvation due to either low oil (unlikely) or a clogged banjo bolt. (A banjo bolt is a bolt that sits in your oil like to the turbo that has a small screen filter in it that makes sure no debris get into the turbo bearings).

In this case, there is now metal bits from the bearings in the turbo in your oil lines and oil pan. This is a big problem. You must drain the oil and remove the oil pan for cleaning. Once the new turbo is installed, do several rapid oil changes and oil filter changes to eliminate that metal from your oil and oil lines.

I had to get a brand new engine because the previous owner didn't do this when the turbo failed for him and it then caused a turbo failure and an engine failure after I bought it from him....within 700 miles of the first turbo replacement.

BUT, you blew your turbo. This is could be a blessing in disguise. A used TD04 turbo costs just slightly less than a VF series turbo which is readily available on the NASIOC forums. Couple that with a downpipe, intercooler, and AccessPort and you've just built a hot rod.
Thanks, great tips. Unfortunately, I don't want the car out of commission any longer than I have to, and budget is a bit tight at the moment. If I did go with a larger turbo, wouldn't the ECU have to be tuned or replaced?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Same thing just happened on my FXT. This is what it cost me from a good shop in Reno. I'm New to the site but wanted to check with everyone on this thread to see if my 04 FXT blown turbo repair cost sounds like it was resonable. They charged me for 4 hrs labor at $95/hr(does that sound fair??) and got a new td04 from the stealer at $1225. Throw in an oil change and a few misc. seals and parts and it burned a hole in my pocket for $1800. I cant do the work my self and needed the car asap so I had to suck it up.

Does 4 hrs of labor sound fair? Thats what the book says I guess. Any feed back would be cool.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,450 Posts
and got a new td04 from the stealer at $1225.
Oof, that pains me to read. TD04's are a dime a dozen... you can find a used, low mileage one anywhere between $150 to $250. Spending $1200+ on a new one is nuts, IMHO... that could've bought you a major turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
5 Posts
Thanks for the honest opinion pleiad7. Unfortunately time was an issues and having no connections did help. Sorry to Hijack this thread but now the shop calls me to tell me to bring the car back because they just found out from the dealer that in order to fully warranty the turbo they need to clean the oil pan out like I told them too after reading this post. On top of that they want to charge me $300 to do the job after telling me oil pan removal wasnt necessary. :evilatyou:

Can someone here tell me if there is anything major involved in the pan removal? Exhaust removal? Thank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts