Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto 4-speed w/sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear FXT community,

I have an '09 Forester XT I bought almost a year ago with 82K and in great condition. I have always done 3500 mile full-synthetic oil changes, kept up with other maintenance myself. I always let the engine warm and cool and never drive hard for long. (we do have a few good twisties and hills in the area....love the turbo).

I mid-January (with the odometer now at 98k) while travelling north to Ohio there started a whine from under the hood and soon the turbo gave out (in a matter of minutes). It first made a few hard, loud (whooosh!) sounds and then I lost boost. I was too far from anything, particularly a dealer, so I slowly drove back home and a dealer the first thing the next day. I know I shouldn't have driven, but towing was out of the question that far out and I had no choice late at night.

At the dealer they said the turbo's bearings had failed due to lack of lubrication, and with it everything has gone to ****. New turbo, new oil pump, water pump, banjo bolts, t-stat, new shortblock!, all hoses, belts, etc. Apparently the left side (cylinder 2-4) had been damaged along with head gasket. Oil pan, everything full of metal. Total bill three weeks later was $6700!!! This has emptied my savings I had aside and made me seriously evaluate the situation. Before you say why I bothered, know that I LOVE this car and it has been great until now. I still owe over 5k on the car and value of the car is still good now it works. Plus I wasn't in the place to buy a car again.

I thought that was that and I essentially have a new car with 80% of stuff under the hood new. Good for another 5 years and 100k.

The very next day after getting it back I get a CEL and dealer says cat has failed and $1700 for labor and new downpipe. I say no and haven't gotten the light back since. Whatever, I can replace that someday myself.

Then a week later I start to notice oil spots in the driveway. After the engine runs for a while and gets hot it smokes after shutting off and my oil level has slowly but steadily dropped. No smoke from exhaust, none. I look under the car, and sure the entire bottom of the engine is wet with it dripping everywhere, particularly on the exhaust as it wraps around underneath the engine block. Now I hope its a bad bolt or seal on some easy part like to oil pump and not something they have to drop the engine for. Appt on Monday morning.

I guess my overall question is if this car can be trusted now or I will forever have one problem or another. Currently since the rebuild I've put only 300 miles on it with no long highway trips or any hard driving. Haven't even really boosted it never going over ~2500rpm to let the engine and turbo break in. Now I'm paranoid looking for signs of problems and listen to every rumble to see if something's amiss. (btw, I love that boxer rumble)

Basically, is this a good car that has all these new parts, or is this a black hole with one problem after another popping up. The car otherwise is great, and in mint condition. Then again now I question the previous owner's oil maintenance. I run RP 5w-30 and religiously go 3500k between. I have aspirations to start modding and would have started except for all this crap.

Basically, people, what are y'alls thoughts on the whole bit, the worth of it, what I should expect, and if I made the wrong decision sticking with it. I love the car and hope for all the best. Guess I'll update as soon as the dealer says what's leaking.

Thanks! And get out and Subaru!

·
Premium Member
2014 2.0XT Limited CVT
416 Posts
Don't you have some kind of warranty on the rebuild? It would seem to me that if you've only put 300 mi on it and then failure, the garage might have contributed to the problem. What have they said?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Auto 4-speed w/sport
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dealer gave me 1 year on parts and labor and so yes, I believe it most likely will be covered. But I am wonder what will go next, and hopefully not after a year.

·
Registered
2009 Foz XT Limited Auto
369 Posts
The oil leak could be caused by a "bad" rebuild or an error in the rebuild, since they basically built you a new block from the way I understand your situation.

My friend rebuilt a whole block by himself with new parts (including a new block) and I know he had issues with badly leaking cam seals.

Personally I'd think that after you get that leak fixed, you should be good for a while.

Do you check oil level between changes? Subarus are known to drink oil. That reminds me I should check mine before I blow my new turbo... lol

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I know a lot of people upgrade thier exhaust so maybe you could source a good condition used exhaust on here or eBay and save $$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts